Dexter: New Blood - Ep 1

INbengalfan

Spoiler

My predication... Angela tries to nail Dexter, but him and Harrison develop a narrative that she can't get any hard evidence so she tries to take it into her own hands when Harrison tries to do his own killing without Dexter but Angela catches him. We see Dexter get there just too late but when he arrives it isn't Harrison that is gone but Angela. Enter not dead Hannah saving the day setting up another season. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I honestly have zero clue how this will end but my theory (and thanks for everyone sharing those bc I fail to see perceptions other than my own at times when it comes to shows):

I don't think Harrison was too impressed with the process. I know it was his first kill but he's hurt people and seen plenty of blood (assuming) in his days. His actions really lead me to believe he wasn't feeling it but his demeanor did change after. Almost like he was a new person so I could be wrong there. He's a smart, calculated person so it could be a facade. Have to keep that in mind. 

One thing I am almost certain will happen is Dexter will serve to be useful to Angela. There will obviously be a discussion about his past as he has to see how standoffish she's been towards him. I think she'll divulge she thinks he's the BHB and he'll be honest about it and what he's doing. Then he'll expose Curt's killings and explain what he did. I don't think it will initially go over well but she might warm up the vigilante side of things. When he reveals she can close all her missing persons cases she might accept it thus keeping everyone alive giving us an another season which is something I feel we all want. This next season will not take place in Iron Lake as her job and integrity of it will not allow it. They will part ways. 

The next season could focus on Dexter and Harrison's relationship and the latter coming to terms with that's what Dexter is and if Harrison will follow in his path or find other means to channel his dark passenger. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:
  Hide contents

My predication... Angela tries to nail Dexter, but him and Harrison develop a narrative that she can't get any hard evidence so she tries to take it into her own hands when Harrison tries to do his own killing without Dexter but Angela catches him. We see Dexter get there just too late but when he arrives it isn't Harrison that is gone but Angela. Enter not dead Hannah saving the day setting up another season. 

That would be fun.  I'm actually surprised the offed Kurt with an episode left.  Until then, I thought he'd go after Angela a la Trinity, while Dexter was pursuing him elsewhere.

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I honestly have zero clue how this will end but my theory (and thanks for everyone sharing those bc I fail to see perceptions other than my own at times when it comes to shows):

I don't think Harrison was too impressed with the process. I know it was his first kill but he's hurt people and seen plenty of blood (assuming) in his days. His actions really lead me to believe he wasn't feeling it but his demeanor did change after. Almost like he was a new person so I could be wrong there. He's a smart, calculated person so it could be a facade. Have to keep that in mind. 

One thing I am almost certain will happen is Dexter will serve to be useful to Angela. There will obviously be a discussion about his past as he has to see how standoffish she's been towards him. I think she'll divulge she thinks he's the BHB and he'll be honest about it and what he's doing. Then he'll expose Curt's killings and explain what he did. I don't think it will initially go over well but she might warm up the vigilante side of things. When he reveals she can close all her missing persons cases she might accept it thus keeping everyone alive giving us an another season which is something I feel we all want. This next season will not take place in Iron Lake as her job and integrity of it will not allow it. They will part ways. 

The next season could focus on Dexter and Harrison's relationship and the latter coming to terms with that's what Dexter is and if Harrison will follow in his path or find other means to channel his dark passenger. 

Spoiler

How about something like this.  Angela arrests Dexter for suspicion of being the BHB.  While in jail, one of Kurt's henchmen look to kill Harrison, but get Aubrey by mistake.  Angela gets Dexter to confess to his alter ego.  Meanwhile, Harrison finds the henchman, and offs him.  Needing to arrest Kurt as well, Angel;a goes to his house to arrest him, but follows the snow tracks to his lair instead.  She asks Dexter to exact his style of justice and either releases him or feigns his escape. She finds Kurt's blood and realizes he's already dead, and rushes to find Dexter, but he and Harrison are gone.  They either reunite with Angela in some place like Montana, or, shocker, move to Mississippi and reunite with.....Hannah.  End credits roll.

Curt may have surpassed Trinity as Dexter’s biggest foe. Actually, I’d probably give Trinity the slight edge due to being a bit more entertaining personality, and probably a tad smarter. But man… they are both tremendous TV villains.  

This season is amazing. 

What I think will happen:

Spoiler

I originally thought Dexter would die in the finale as this show is not scheduled to go two seasons. But with the amount of success it’s had, I could see Angela arresting Dexter for the murder of Curt’s son (obviously with the suspicious of being the BHB as well, but she won’t mention that). After the arrest, she will see Curt’s lair and how pure 100% evil the man was. Evil incarnated. She will then realize Dexter kills the most evil creatures on the planet. She will release Dexter from jail saying she has no evidence but to leave town forever and forget about her, as she is still sick by his actions. I mean, he has killed hundreds of people. 

Something also has to happen with Harrison. Does he turn bad? By killing Angela’a daughter? OR does he stay good, get kidnapped by one of Kurt’s henchmen, and Dexter has to save him? Dexter possibly dies in the process? 

I have no idea what happens. I don’t think Dexter and Harrison will get to stay in town and live happily ever after though. If there is a Season 2, they will be right back at square one starting in another town with brand new characters. 

• Like 1

No wonder Seasons 1-4 and New Blood are so good (3 is a little meh). Same guy is running the show. 5-8 was a different guy I guess. And he sucked. 

This is prime + original Dexter down to it’s core. Feels just like the first 4 seasons. Compares to Season 4 more than anything, while still feeing original. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Deadpulse said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

If not dead Hannah shows up to save the day, I'll lose my mind. Definitely didn't even think of that happening. 

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What I think will happen:

Hide contents

She will release Dexter from jail saying she has no evidence but to leave town forever and forget about her, as she is still sick by his actions. 

Something also has to happen with Harrison. Does he turn bad?

Spoiler

There was definitely a change in demeanor for Harrison while watching. I'm glad Dex let him in a little, but that was too much all at once. When I was wathcing, I thought one of two things:

1. Harrison kills Angela because he doesn't fully understand the code yet (he was really focused on the 'not get caught' part).

2. Harrison thinks that Dex fits his own code. The way Kurt was talking about him and Dexter having a lot in common makes me think Harrison actually might be the one to take out Dex and use his own code for the reasoning. 

Not sure if we need to keep doing spoilers but I'll add them anyway. Man this season is amazing. 

Much to my surprise, New Blood goes in with the original Dexter first four seasons for me, and even edges out S1. 

I’d rank them:

GOAT Level Television:

1. S4

2. S2

3. New Blood

4. S1

Subpar Television:

5. S7

6. S5

7. S3

8. S6

9. S8

Not much middle ground with Dexter.  Every season is either great GOAT level stuff, or terrible. The guy who took over in S5 was terrible. And Philips with a rare mishap with a meh Season 3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Much to my surprise, New Blood goes in with the original Dexter first four seasons for me, and even edges out S1. 

I’d rank them:

GOAT Level Television:

1. S4

2. S2

3. New Blood

4. S1

Subpar Television:

5. S7

6. S5

7. S3

8. S6

9. S8

Not much middle ground with Dexter.  Every season is either great GOAT level stuff, or terrible. The guy who took over in S5 was terrible. And Philips with a rare mishap with a meh Season 3. 

I agree with the categories, but I'd personally bump S1 to #2 and add S3 to a middle category of "great". It was still really good, it was just a little bit of a letdown after the first two and nothing close to the 4th. 

Either way, the fact that this season is anywhere close to the first four has me extremely excited that we hopefully get more on the way. 

My thoughts

Spoiler

I enjoyed the ending and it felt right. The way a lot of these flawed anti-hero stories tend to go.

They demasked Dexter in every way. You saw what he is when he’s trapped. Manipulative and will do whatever he needs to survive, pure animal instinct. Like to have the wherewithal to toss out the missing girls location to Angela to give himself an opening… that’s gonna be devastating that she left and essentially left Logan exposed enough to die.

He came to grips with the path of destruction he leaves. He’s not the vigilante Harrison equated him to. He’s not on a noble quest. He’s a serial killer with a need to feed his beast and that drives him beyond all else.

The tragedy of Dexter is there is a good person in there. He yearns for normal while telling himself he’s not. Harry made choices for him and sold him the narrative of what he was. Much like Dexter did with Harrison. Perhaps had Harry nurtured that side things would be different.

Other side notes, knowing Dexter had the pin, mailing the others to Angela and burning his house down to expose Dexter was the first fleeting glimpse at higher level smarts from Kurt. 

I’m glad Harrison got closure with the two sides of his father. The final scene finally breaking Dexter’s delusions that he and the Dark Passenger are separate entities. He rejected the Darkness, and with the letter seemingly will learn to accept the flawed man who loved him and tried to do what he thought was best for him.

It really doesn’t seem like you’re going to get any more story going forward. Seemed like a definite end to this all. Would’ve been nice to have an epilogue to wrap up some stuff…but we can just imagine what happened.