Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Cool video, the parents came off decent.  The mom seems very grounded and caring which is good.  Not sure where the "pain" thinking about those two came from, I could see the Dad being a butt if his kid is not playing or something but most dads are.

Still there is a reality of that dude is in a neighborhood surrounded by what million dollar homes and probably grew up in one, if not a million dollar home they are what $500,000-700,000 home.  For fun they work on what a $60,000-$70,000 jeep I assume?  Cool and all but helps show his privilege as well.  Sure he works hard and has worked harder at his craft, no one says people who have money do not work hard.  But fact is if things do not go well in the NFL, it is a lot easier for them to just kind of call it in because they have other things to do.  The famous Josh Rosen quote about not working at McDonalds if it does not work out is absolutely true.  He has been a straight up loser in the NFL, but yeah if ultimately it does not work out in the league, he will absolutely not work at McDonalds, probably work at some family connected business or get a job through his parents connections and friends.  Zach Wilson could be the same way no doubt about it.

Regardless he is not Johnny Manziel character wise, not even close but physically at times they do play similar to each other no doubt about it.  Mentally it is not even close to the same thing though and that is good for Zach.  And to Zach's credit he has had to go through injuries so there has been some trouble along the way.  Not to mention 2019 where he lost to Utah, Washington, Toledo, San Diego State and Hawaii.  Did beat USC and Tennessee that same year which is something but a ton of loses as well, hell of a year this season but * by it.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still there is a reality of that dude is in a neighborhood surrounded by what million dollar homes and probably grew up in one, if not a million dollar home they are what $500,000-700,000 home.  For fun they work on what a $60,000-$70,000 jeep I assume?  Cool and all but helps show his privilege as well.  

On the other end of that though he won't be a guy that gets distracted by being a new young millionaire with NFL money. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

On the other end of that though he won't be a guy that gets distracted by being a new young millionaire with NFL money. 

Very true, but usually give me a guy that is motivated and fights over the guy that is comfortable.  This was John Randle's childhood home, a photo of it he kept in his locker.  No real mystery why he played as inspired and aggressively as he did, I believe part of it had a dirt floor.  A ton of pro athletes grew up in poverty, especially in basketball and football.  There are more guys in a NFL locker room that are from poor to average income levels growing up than there are guys like Zach Wilson, I know that much.

znkrglvpn4zjpmzkr1sn

It is not everything when evaluating a QB but can matter from time to time.  Josh Allen on the Bills I believe grew up on his family farm, a big farm but still a farm where he had to work.  Josh Rosen grew up doing what, playing tennis?  Sure there are other examples that go the opposite way but specifically those two recently are hard to ignore in what both have become.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There are more guys in a NFL locker room that are from poor to average income levels growing up than there are guys like Zach Wilson, I know that much.

I think you're making way too big a deal out of it. I'm not really familiar with Zach Wilson, but when I look at the top QBs currently and historically...I don't see a lot of *less fortunate financial backgrounds. Hardly any actually.

I mean guys like Manning and Mahomes had Pro Athlete fathers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He does not understand that some people have very different motivations than money. Wilson clearly loves the sport. Is he a sure thing? Of course not, only sure thing is Lawrence, and even Lawrence is not like a sure thing Top 10 QB (probably is though). Wilson has heart, good character, great mixed physical skillset, and good football IQ. Does he have a Josh Allen or Justin Herbert arm? No. But he has a solid arm, better than Burrow/Tua/Trask/Lance, slightly better than Love even. It's a very good arm. He also is very mobile, and can scramble often. He's going to be excellent at extending plays. And he's tremendous at reading coverage's.

I have Wilson as my #2 QB currently, and I don't think that changes. Big gap behind Lawrence though.

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think you're making way too big a deal out of it. I'm not really familiar with Zach Wilson, but when I look at the top QBs currently and historically...I don't see a lot of *less fortunate financial backgrounds. Hardly any actually.

This 100%. Brady’s dad owned an insurance firm. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Very true, then again I do not know all the backgrounds of all these guys either.

LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world, yeah he grew up in some rough times.  So maybe it is more with basketball, but again one does not know the back story of most of these guys and only reason you do for Manning and Mahomes is because they had pro athletes as fathers.  

I bet if you got the ACES score of all the athletes in the NFL, it could be a pretty high number on average.  ACES stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences.

Sure maybe it means nothing but I do not think it does, it matters especially if one opens it up to all the other positions on the field, DB, DL, LB, RB, WR etc.  Sure pampered QBs are one thing.  

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This 100%. Brady’s dad owned an insurance firm. 

Brady said. “Some of my greatest memories as a kid were coming here and milking cows with my grandpa; hanging out in his silos and in the haystack above his barn; going out to where he would pasteurize the milk and pull the cream off the top of the milk in the morning; and shooting his (.22-caliber rifle) at targets in the backyard, and catching sunfish with my uncles. It was great. I love being here. It’s a great state. Obviously, I love the people. Being that my mom’s from here, I’m proud of that.”

Sure, but to say he was just some rich city kid all his life is simply not correct at all, he had experiences different than that of a rich city kid which helped shape him as well.  You give me the ACES score for all the Hall of Fame QBs in NFL history and I will get back to you.  I bet most did not have this cake childhood experience that was all roses.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Very true, then again I do not know all the backgrounds of all these guys either.

LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world, yeah he grew up in some rough times.  So maybe it is more with basketball, but again one does not know the back story of most of these guys and only reason you do for Manning and Mahomes is because they had pro athletes as fathers.  

I bet if you got the ACES score of all the athletes in the NFL, it could be a pretty high number on average.  ACES stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences.

Sure maybe it means nothing but I do not think it does, it matters especially if one opens it up to all the other positions on the field, DB, DL, LB, RB, WR etc.  Sure pampered QBs are one thing.  

Brady said. “Some of my greatest memories as a kid were coming here and milking cows with my grandpa; hanging out in his silos and in the haystack above his barn; going out to where he would pasteurize the milk and pull the cream off the top of the milk in the morning; and shooting his (.22-caliber rifle) at targets in the backyard, and catching sunfish with my uncles. It was great. I love being here. It’s a great state. Obviously, I love the people. Being that my mom’s from here, I’m proud of that.”

Sure, but to say he was just some rich city kid all his life is simply not correct at all, he had experiences different than that of a rich city kid which helped shape him as well.  You give me the ACES score for all the Hall of Fame QBs in NFL history and I will get back to you.  I bet most did not have this cake childhood experience that was all roses.  

He went to visit his grandpa and uncles on a farm... he didn’t live there. Look at all the fun stuff he did. He wasn’t doing it to survive. He was having “fun” experiences. This might have been your weakest attempt to prove a point on this site I’ve ever witnessed.

Just now, Counselor said:

He went to visit his grandpa and uncles on a farm... he didn’t live there. Look at all the fun stuff he did. He wasn’t doing it to survive. He was having “fun” experiences. This might have been your weakest attempt to prove a point on this site I’ve ever witnessed.

And...  Get back to me when you get those ACES scores which you will not because you do not know them because no one has studied it.  Oh what wild tales I spin, an individual that had a rough childhood might be more motivated as an athlete to perform and do well as a professional than one that had a pampered childhood.  Oh gosh what crazy logic that is.  I bet you were one of those that was ripped Josh Allen and praised Josh Rosen when I brought up these same points.  How has that worked out for ya?

Here is a little reading for you, not NFL related but shows a little bit.  Find me an NFL study I am all in, but I do not believe they have done one yet.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-12-role-childhood-trauma-athletic-success.html

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

And...  Get back to me when you get those ACES scores which you will not because you do not know them because no one has studied it.  Oh what wild tales I spin, an individual that had a rough childhood might be more motivated as an athlete to perform and do well as a professional than one that had a pampered childhood.  Oh gosh what crazy logic that is.  I bet you were one of those that was ripped Josh Allen and praised Josh Rosen when I brought up these same points.  How has that worked out for ya?

Here is a little reading for you, not NFL related but shows a little bit.  Find me an NFL study I am all in, but I do not believe they have done one yet.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-12-role-childhood-trauma-athletic-success.html

Never was a fan of Josh Rosen... let’s change your name to Stretch Armstrong with how far you reach. We’ve presented you some of the most successful QBs ever that your theory would not apply to. I’m sure there are some positions it would be. But that’s not what I ever debated against. QB is what we are talking about. And if you don’t think there is a different mental makeup between QB and other positions I don’t know what to tell you.