Raiders sign DL David Irving

agarcia34

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not just weed with him. Irving is legitimately crazy. His ex had to get restraining orders against him due to his behavior. Cops were called lots of times. Rumors of DV and that he had to keep paying her off as to not go to through the courts. Huge problems with authority. One of his suspensions he lit up a joint outside the Cowboys stadium next to a cop. 

All that said, on a per snap basis, he was one of the most talented and productive DT's in the entire NFL (including Donald) for a while. If his mind and body is right, the talent is 100% there. 

From a Dallas fan I know. Seems as if she was an MMA fighter and called the cops just to have extra leverage in the custody of thier child.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Weed being a problem is pro sports in 2020 is hilarious.... 

Me not smoking it on Tinder seems to be a problem. LOL 

Like the signing the size and system fit. Our 'Dunlap' but fits Rod too. 

More competition for lighting a fire on pass rushers. Also if he works out would be an excellent addition long term.

32 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Championship

Have you seen Irving play much? This could be a huge pickup if he's anywhere close to the player he was. Obviously Marinelli has been a big influence on him and hopefully he'll be able to keep him on the straight and narrow and get his career back on track as it was on a big upwards trajectory.

Back a couple years ago Irving looked to me like he was going to be a Calais Campbell clone with his length, power and aggressiveness aswell as his ability to play outside and then pass rush from the inside. He is exactly what we need inside, a long, powerful and penetrating pass rush presence. 

Then again, he may be just a shell of his former self and the sarcasm is deserved 😁😁

I'm really chomping at the bit to see him in the lineup.........

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Loophole to get him on practice squad. This is a HUGE signing 

I understand. Irving has like 14 sacks in his last 15 games, he's definitely a player. He hasn't been dominant since 2017 though so we'll see what happens. Seymour was considered an All-Pro HOF talent in his prime when we traded for him.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Have you seen Irving play much? This could be a huge pickup if he's anywhere close to the player he was. Obviously Marinelli has been a big influence on him and hopefully he'll be able to keep him on the straight and narrow and get his career back on track as it was on a big upwards trajectory.

Back a couple years ago Irving looked to me like he was going to be a Calais Campbell clone with his length, power and aggressiveness aswell as his ability to play outside and then pass rush from the inside. He is exactly what we need inside, a long, powerful and penetrating pass rush presence. 

Yeah it could be a similar situation to what Aldon Smith is doing in Dallas this year. In an interview about a year ago Irving actually shouted Rod out and said that he was one of the few people from the Cowboys organization that kept in contact with him and would check up on how he was doing. Reports are that the FO had been monitoring his situation since February and considering that he has been living and training in Las Vegas, I'm assuming that signing him was always in our plans. And that would also explain why we didn't draft a DT early or look to add anyone other than Collins in free agency. 

In his last 13 games he has 12 sacks, IIRC. And when he played under Rod they lined him up at NT, 3T, and LE. If he's even 80% of what he was he's still a 6-8 sack type of interior pass rusher and should provide a huge boost for us. If he can reach his ceiling (which is iffy) he could be one of the best interior pass rushers in the league for us and do it on team friendly deal. 

Our DL might actually be pretty good the rest of the season we just need Crosby/Ferrell to keep building off of last week, Irving to make an impact, and then hopefully Collins can start to play as we expected he would. Nassib is apparently practicing again too and he flashed a little bit against KC and in the first game, so hopefully he can play better as well.

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Hankins | Irving

DT - Collins | Hurst

DE - Crosby | Key | Vickers

I actually don't hate what our rotations looking like and I'm excited to see how they improve as the season goes on. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Hankins | Irving

DT - Collins | Hurst

DE - Crosby | Key | Vickers

I actually don't hate what our rotations looking like and I'm excited to see how they improve as the season goes on. 

To be fair, Smith, Vickers and Jones were very active inside last game against the Chiefs. They didnt finish but they created some pressure and disruption and gave superb effort so I'd be keen to give all 3 some more playing time too whilst Collins and Hurst get healthy and Irving gets up to speed.

Irving can play outside and inside but I think as a penetrating inside rusher will be his initial assignment. Maybe as he gets conditioned he can spell outside aswell but I see him in the Dion Jordan role we had last season to start. Vickers I believe plays all his snaps at DT or inside.

This is why I've said previously we need more DL to rotate to keep them fresh, we don't have superstars but we can have high effort guys kept energised in a nice rotation. I'd have kept at least 10 on the roster instead of guys like Parker who dont even dress most games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, Smith, Vickers and Jones were very active inside last game against the Chiefs. They didnt finish but they created some pressure and disruption and gave superb effort so I'd be keen to give all 3 some more playing time too whilst Collins and Hurst get healthy and Irving gets up to speed.

Irving can play outside and inside but I think as a penetrating inside rusher will be his initial assignment. Maybe as he gets conditioned he can spell outside aswell but I see him in the Dion Jordan role we had last season to start. Vickers I believe plays all his snaps at DT or inside.

This is why I've said previously we need more DL to rotate to keep them fresh, we don't have superstars but we can have high effort guys kept energised in a nice rotation. I'd have kept at least 10 on the roster instead of guys like Parker who dont even dress most games.

Agree, especially against pass heavy teams we need a fresh DL rotation to chase these guys play after play.

I have no doubt that Irving has the talent, but he's more a factor for if we can make the postseason or be in the conversation for it late in the season.

28 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

They all played well for sure but Smith/Jones were already demoted back to the practice squad. With the new rules I think that we can bring them up and down on a week to week basis. Hurst is healthy and I think Collins was just dealing with a minor injury as well. Hurst has flashed this year and we've seen Collins play at a really high level last season so I'd prefer to give those guys as many reps as possible. Crosby has been coming on strong and Ferrell played his best game of the season, so hopefully that means Rod's coaching has been effective because they've really had pretty limited time with him. If that's the case I hope/expect that Hurst and Collins will both start to play better as well. 

Yeah I think he'll be used like Dion where he plays 3T the majority of the time and rotates out to edge periodically as well. IIRC, Vickers played some edge in the first few weeks. He's listed as a DE and Mayock said one of the reasons he made the team was because he could play inside or outside. 

I agree with that. I'd like to see one of Jones/Smith brought up full time so we can rotate guys throughout the game. If we bring one of them up we'd have a bunch of guys that can play inside/outside with Jones/Smith, Vickers, Irving, Ferrell, and Nassib. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I understand. Irving has like 14 sacks in his last 15 games, he's definitely a player. He hasn't been dominant since 2017 though so we'll see what happens. Seymour was considered an All-Pro HOF talent in his prime when we traded for him.

Seymour was also in the downhill of his career when he was traded 

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Seymour was also in the downhill of his career when he was traded 

Seymour was still one of the best Dlinemen in the league when we got him and he stayed that way for a couple years after.  Man was a monster and if he was on this line in his prime Ferrell and Crosby would each get 10+ sacks this year.

• Like 1