Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

22 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Gordon Hayward fractures hand. Next man up probably by committee semi, Romeo Langford, and Green.

Hayward's numbers through 7 1/2 games...

55% from the floor
43% from the 3
17.9 ppg
7.1 rebounds
29.9 points/48 minutes

Road trip: 27-33 (82%) on 2-point shots, 33.8 points/48 minutes

It's still early and not many big games have happened yet in this season, so things can change, but in a small sample size Marcus Smart has taken far fewer dumb shots then he usually does. Not surprisingly I believe his shooting percentage is probably higher. Every now and then he still has heat check moments , but it is far less then it used to be.

I wonder if it's because the pressure of trying to play for a new contract is over and he is more relaxed. Hope he keeps this up

Edited by resilient part 2

Every writer and their uncle keeps coming up with Boston is a great team BUT they will need a true BIG if they want to go far in the playoffs. Problem is I just don't see any way Boston can acquire a Big that is better than Boston's current 3 man rotation of centers due to salary mainly. They have 3 firsts next year possible, but no Cap room. Even trading Marcus Smart and a 1st won't get it done. Don't have the salary room for a Blake Griffin Or A Drummond.

Yet adding a Blake or Drummond would put us over the top IMO.

Even If Boston can pick up a buyout center, I am not sure they would be any better than short but versatile Theis. Good inside scorer/rebounder but not defender in Kanter. Or bigtime athlete but still raw Robert Williams. 

Is their even a possible way for Boston to get better at the Big position without giving up too much??? 

Please let me know.

3 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Is their even a possible way for Boston to get better at the Big position without giving up too much??? 

Please let me know.

I think they're stuck with what they have which is pretty good in rotation. If they acquire anyone worth ruining the rotation for, the only feasible possibility I think would be Myles Turner. In order to match salaries for the trade to work with the Pacers, the Celtics would need to send ~$13 million in cap either back to the Pacers or to another team.

What does that look like for the Celtics?

Well, let's go through the seemingly obvious.

Kemba, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Smart aren't going anywhere short of a megastar like Nikola Jokic, for example.

Romeo Langford probably doesn't get moved at this point but his salary is valuable in this trade scenario if the Pacers demand a young player.

This leaves only Enes Kanter and Daniel Theis at least, plus one of Grant Williams or Vincent Poirier, and then one of Semi Ojeleye, Robert Williams, Carsen Edwards, or Javonte Green, (if not Brad Wanamaker because he has a no-trade clause).

And then on top of all this the Pacers have to clear a few roster spaces by waiving the bottom of their bench. Even still, for Bird and the Pacers organization to accept this deal for Turner they'd likely also require a first round pick.

So, maybe Turner? I don't know, you tell me. Maybe.

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I think they're stuck with what they have which is pretty good in rotation. If they acquire anyone worth ruining the rotation for, the only feasible possibility I think would be Myles Turner. In order to match salaries for the trade to work with the Pacers, the Celtics would need to send ~$13 million in cap either back to the Pacers or to another team.

What does that look like for the Celtics?

Well, let's go through the seemingly obvious.

Kemba, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Smart aren't going anywhere short of a megastar like Nikola Jokic, for example.

Romeo Langford probably doesn't get moved at this point but his salary is valuable in this trade scenario if the Pacers demand a young player.

This leaves only Enes Kanter and Daniel Theis at least, plus one of Grant Williams or Vincent Poirier, and then one of Semi Ojeleye, Robert Williams, Carsen Edwards, or Javonte Green, (if not Brad Wanamaker because he has a no-trade clause).

And then on top of all this the Pacers have to clear a few roster spaces by waiving the bottom of their bench. Even still, for Bird and the Pacers organization to accept this deal for Turner they'd likely also require a first round pick.

So, maybe Turner? I don't know, you tell me. Maybe.

If Myles Turner is available I would love to have him, but it would probably cost us Marcus Smart and both number one picks not including Memphis.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It’s gonna take more than that...

Really? Marcus Smart who is probably not available anyhow, has been playing like a defensive Beast all year and can certainly help the cause to any team to improve their overall team defense. I'm not saying I'm even willing to give him up but Marcus Smart and multiple first-round picks I think would get the deal done. Again not including Memphis of course

G League or not, I am very encouraged about how Tacko Fall has been playing. He's been flat-out Unstoppable when he gets the ball shooting near 80%, but 14 offensive rebounds in his last game alone is quite promising. I don't mind that it continues to get is experiencing the G League. But no way isn't he better than Vincent Poirier is right now. Still waiting for that day he makes big plays for Boston. That day is coming when I don't know

Early returns from Boston 2019 draft has me more disappointed than excited to be honest. I was hoping with Boston starting Tatum, Brown and Hayward in a multi-wing unit Romeo Langford could sub for any while keeping the athletic size and skill set similar to the starters. Romeo has gotten off to the worst luck (not including season ending injury of course) as I can remember. Sadly don't expect him to make any impact this year. Boston's 2nd pick- Grant Williams, is a do the right thing, good character, smart player. But I feel no where near the upside of who I wanted Boston to draft at the time. That being Brandon Clarke. Williams IMO has no major upside. He looks very short and struggles to score anywhere on the court. I felt after last years horror show with Chemistry issues that this was a knee jerk reaction to getting a good locker-room more than a player with more upside. My hope is that maybe less is more in that Grant will glue the team better than having a better player that doesn't fit as well. But as of now I'd rather have Clarke.

Carsen Edwards is just like I figured. Potential great shooter. Pretty good at play making. Not so good at defense. His role can get bigger if teams start cheating off other Celtic players.

Tremont Waters and Javonte Green are both deserving of an NBA spot, but Boston is just so deep that they will rarely get a big role. Tacko is also deserving, but on a team with 4 centers on a roster will require some patience I guess. 

Boston still needs a proven Bigman. One good Big away from a title IMO.