Contenders or Pretenders?

Hunter2_1

10 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If this Rams team had to face a real division instead of the NFC East they'd probably be like 6-8 right now.

Interesting thought process. We beat the Seahawks, Cardinals, Bucs, Bears and Washington.

So we would have played the South or North - those Lions, Vikings, Panthers and Falcons are on par with those NFC East teams. Maybe we lose to the Packers or Saints - but then again, we've beaten some good teams, so there's a chance nothing changes. And remember, the Eagles just beat the Saints.

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

How? Look at the division. Arizona is massively trending up. Niners would of been a better team and better record then the Rams this year if not for the injuries. Now the 49ers get a free Top 10 pick to add. Also, Seattle has a Top 2 QB in the NFL, and will be firing their DC, the worst DC in the NFL (trust me, Raiders had him). Plus you still have Jared Goff... I'd put Goff, Murray, and Jimmy all in the same middle of the pack tier, but Goff might be the worst of the three.

I would not be surprised if the Rams finished last in the NFC West next year.

Two reasons:

First were the youngest team in the NFC this year

Second, McVay had never had a losing season

This team dropped three games this year that are flat out embarrassing:

Dolphins game - a D TD, ST TD, a fumble returned to the one and a TD "drive" of 35 yards off of an INT. 36 yards to get 28 points. Their offense is incredibly garbage, one of the worst losses of the year because of the nature of it.

Second Niners game - similar to the above, except our defense scored and we *only* gave up one defensive TD.

Yesterday - it was different because the defense didn't show up along with the offense and special teams. Just felt like we expected to get a win by just showing up.

Two of those games were on Goff, yesterday was on McVay.

Throwing yesterday out, it comes down to Goff for every other game we've lostI. If he gets hot in the playoffs we can beat anybody

13 hours ago, El Ramster said:

injuries happen.. what was said was said..

To me the number of injuries they have had this year is more than what a team usually suffers in an NFL season.   I have no love for the 49ers.   They have broken Packers' hearts several times in the past 3 decades.  I am glad we won't have to face them in the playoffs this year.

13 hours ago, JohnCena said:

Imagine not only losing to an 0-13 team but being down to them 17 points at one point in the game🤣🤣🤣

Add the Rams to the pretenders list like I been saying you can't rely on Goff to win you games not even against the Jets☠️ If the run game isn't dominating Goff is basically trash. 

It happens.  In 1997 the Super Bowl bound Packers lost to a winless Colts team.  Of course that game was on the road but still...

Well first of all Pittsburgh has not won the super bowl in 12 years.

Call them the ultimate pretenders

Baltimore may not make the playoffs and have not won the super bowl sense Flacco was there.

that leaves you 4teams out of the afc that are real contenders.

nfc

New Orleans,Seattle, and then the rest so you have 6 teams that are in the hunt.

2 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

This team dropped three games this year that are flat out embarrassing:

Dolphins game - a D TD, ST TD, a fumble returned to the one and a TD "drive" of 35 yards off of an INT. 36 yards to get 28 points. Their offense is incredibly garbage, one of the worst losses of the year because of the nature of it.

Second Niners game - similar to the above, except our defense scored and we *only* gave up one defensive TD.

Yesterday - it was different because the defense didn't show up along with the offense and special teams. Just felt like we expected to get a win by just showing up.

Two of those games were on Goff, yesterday was on McVay.

Throwing yesterday out, it comes down to Goff for every other game we've lostI. If he gets hot in the playoffs we can beat anybody

Counter-argument:

You've also just proven you can lose to anybody.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Well first of all Pittsburgh has not won the super bowl in 12 years.

Call them the ultimate pretenders

Baltimore may not make the playoffs and have not won the super bowl sense Flacco was there.

that leaves you 4teams out of the afc that are real contenders.

nfc

New Orleans,Seattle, and then the rest so you have 6 teams that are in the hunt.

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Counter-argument:

You've also just proven you can lose to anybody.

Luckily, that goes for every NFL team. 

Jets beat the Rams

Bengals beat the Steelers

Bengals beat the Titans

Jaguars beat the Colts

Raiders beat the Chiefs

Patriots beat the Ravens

Broncos beat the Dolphins

Giants beat the Seahawks

Vikings beat the Packers

Our loss looks worse right now because of how bad the Jets have been all year. But the Jets vs the Bengals with Ryan Finley is probably an even match up. Same for Jets/Jaguars.

I've always maintained that wins and losses can be fluky, hence the above.

Hell, the Packers beat the Jaguars 24-20 - we shot ourselves in the foot with penalties, otherwise we likely end up beating the Jets 27-23. Same overall result against a similar team - but they have Rodgers and we have Goff so that didn't happen.

Still the most disappointing regular season loss in my history being a Rams fan, but I don't think it means much for the season. We've played 6 games against playoff teams so far:

4 wins

1 loss where we were up 32-28 and just couldn't get a stop late against one of the best teams in the NFL

1 loss where we allowed 28 points on a punt return TD (one of only three all year?), a fumble returned for a TD, and two offensive TDs that took 36 offensive yards

No shame losing to the Bills in a game that close, Goff giving the game away was the reason we didn't beat the Dolphins, and we won the other four.

I feel very comfortable playing against playoff teams - and while I don't trust Goff too much, there's a chance the sideline being 140 degrees played a part in the Dolphins game - but Goff is the concern going forward.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:24 AM, Tk3 said:

Time to dust this thread back off... Gotta rework this. Green means I've moved them up at least one tier, Red means I've moved them down

Tier 1 Contenders: Chiefs, Packers, BillsRavens, Rams

Tier 2 Contenders: Saints, SeahawksTitans, Colts

Tier 1 Pretenders: Browns, SteelersBuccaneers

Tier 2 Pretenders: Cardinals, Football Team

Outside looking in: Dolphins, Vikings, Raiders, Bears49ers, Giants

People are going to hate how high I have the Ravens, but I'm telling you, this team will win 11 games, and one of their losses will be part of a covid mess. It's also time to recognize the Rams as a top 2 team in the NFC. Their defense has been great, and their offense has been more consistent than I usually give them credit for

I don't care what the Steelers record is. They were barely a top 5 team in my eyes when they were 11-0, and now with 2 losses I'm not ready to even call them a top 10 team as far as playoff expectations

Browns are right on that border of "contender", I just have them as the 6th best team in the AFC and its hard for me to call 6 teams in a conference "contenders"

Reupping again this week after lots of wins and two really, really bad losses

Tier 1 Contenders: Chiefs, BillsPackers, Ravens, Titans

Tier 2 Contenders: Saints, SeahawksColts, Rams

Tier 1 Pretenders: Browns

Tier 2 Pretenders: Cardinals, Buccaneers, Football Team, Steelers

Outside looking in: Dolphins, Bears, Giants

Dropped from list: Raiders, Vikings, 49ers

To me I see only a small handful of teams that can make a nice run in the playoffs, and a few others, especially in the NFC, who might surprise me

But this is clearly a season who one conference is MUCH more interesting and dynamic than the other

On 12/19/2020 at 5:49 PM, BayRaider said:

15 Teams.

Contenders:

Kansas City Chiefs.

Buffalo Bills. 

Tennessee Titans. 

Pittsburgh Steelers. 

Green Bay Packers.

New Orleans Saints. 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 

To Be Determined:

Baltimore Ravens. 

Not Ready:

Washington Football Team. 

Cleveland Browns.

Indianapolis Colts. 

Miami Dolphins. 

Arizona Cardinals. 

Pretenders:

Los Angeles Rams.

Seattle Seahawks. 

Notes:

- I think Tampa is pretty much built for the post season and will be a tough out for any team. Top 3 D, Top 10 O, GOAT QB who is having a Top 6-7 QB season, and a solid experienced Head Coach. 

- Ravens are coming together and getting healthy, defense is Top 5, and offense may be coming around. I’m not comfortable putting them as contenders yet though. 

- Browns Defense needs to get a lot better, and so does Mayfield. Perhaps they can get a wildcard round win depending on the matchup, but almost zero chance this team goes to the CCG. 

- Colts need to upgrade from Rivers, and upgrade the secondary. They are not Super Bowl contenders under Rivers. However, they are built for success. 

- Miami may be scary good next year, and might make the Bills a one year division winner. Their Defense is totally nasty. Potential to be a Top 3 D next year, and Tua’s second season with hopefully another WR added to the team. As of right now though, they are not capable of making a deep playoff push. Maybe a wildcard round win, depending on the matchup. 

- Seattle’s Defense is atrocious, and KNJ is one of the worst defensive coordinators that has ever existed. The offense also is wildly inconsistent, especially against Top Defenses. 

- Saving the most controversial for last. This forum seems to have gotten really, really high on the Rams. I do realize their defense is ranked 4th in the league, but let’s not forget they played the NFC East this year and a big chunk of those defensive metrics came in those four games. I don’t think the defense is as good as advertised, still Top 8 or so, but definitely not #4. Also, Jared Goff is still Jared Goff, and the lights do tend to get too bright for him. He is a Middle of the Pack average NFL QB. Sean McVay also is another guy who tends to get out coached by other big coaches. The Rams are another team that can win a wildcard game, but I’d be pretty surprised to see them in the CCG.

I honestly think Seattle and Los Angeles may regress quite a bit next year. Something like 9-8 and no playoffs. While San Francisco and Arizona both emerge as playoff teams. 

Also Note: Just because the Rams and Seahawks are in the Pretenders list does not mean I think all the teams in the Not Ready list are better than them. That’s not what it means at all. It means I think the teams in the Not Ready list will probably be pretty good next year and built for success, just not ready these playoffs. While the Rams and Seahawks regress. 

Am I wrong about the Pretender Picks? I picked the Rams before they lost to the Jets while everyone was hyping them up.

And even if Seattle gets the #1 seed, they are still pretenders to me and 95% likely don't make the Super Bowl.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, Tk3 said:

Reupping again this week after lots of wins and two really, really bad losses

Tier 1 Contenders: Chiefs, BillsPackers, Ravens, Titans

Tier 2 Contenders: Saints, SeahawksColts, Rams

Tier 1 Pretenders: Browns

Tier 2 Pretenders: Cardinals, Buccaneers, Football Team, Steelers

Outside looking in: Dolphins, Bears, Giants

Dropped from list: Raiders, Vikings, 49ers

To me I see only a small handful of teams that can make a nice run in the playoffs, and a few others, especially in the NFC, who might surprise me

But this is clearly a season who one conference is MUCH more interesting and dynamic than the other

Let's do this again

Tier 1 Contenders: BillsChiefsPackers, Ravens

Tier 2 Contenders: TitansSaints, Seahawks

Tier 1 Pretenders: Buccaneers, Steelers

Tier 2 Pretenders: Colts, RamsBrownsBears

Outside looking in: Dolphins, Cardinals, Entire NFC East

Dropped from list: 

It's starting to clear up for me.

In the AFC, I expect to see some combination of Bills/Chiefs/Ravens playing in the AFC championship game. I believe they are 3 of the 4 best teams AND 3 of the 4 hottest teams in the NFL. If the Titans knock off the Ravens in the WC round (which I think the the likely matchup), I can see them maybe fighting for it, but I don't see the Colts/Steelers/Browns/Dolphins winning 2 games. And yes, I have the Bills as my #1. I don't care about week 6, I don't care about overall records. They are flat out playing better than any team in the NFL right now.

In the NFC, I think the Packers have a fairly wide gap over the next best team in the NFC, but the Saints, Seahawks, and Bucs are probably the best bets to either knock them off or to face them in the conference championship game. Rams are in a spiral AND Goff is hurt. Its a shame, given their defense, but they are not what people wanted them to be. Bears and Cards don't have any sort of consistency, and every time a team in the NFC East looks like they might be something, they then show what they really are.

It's a 4 team race in the AFC, and if you squint, you can make it a 4 team race in the NFC. I'm really not giving anyone else much of a chance at this point