Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

55 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Am I crazy, or is Bobby Okereke clearly the best off ball LB in the NFC East? He's having a fantastic year. 

I don’t watch closely the other teams, but he seems to be having a great year. It’s strange to me, with all these great players, Dex, Kayvon, Okereke, Micah, even Leo for the first half of the year, we continue to get beat in the run game. Is this a scheme thing or we missing a major piece in our front 7?

36 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I don’t watch closely the other teams, but he seems to be having a great year. It’s strange to me, with all these great players, Dex, Kayvon, Okereke, Micah, even Leo for the first half of the year, we continue to get beat in the run game. Is this a scheme thing or we missing a major piece in our front 7?

Well yesterday, it was definitely because we were missing Dexy. They were running up the middle on us no problem. 

All year long, it's been a couple of things. Okereke was bad the first 3 weeks, as was Kayvon. McFadden was as well. But since they've come on, we've been better against inside runs. On the boundaries, corners (outside of Jackson, who missed a few games) not getting off of blocks is a real problem. Banks is AWFUL at getting off of blocks and making tackles on the perimeter. He needs to improve on that big time. A lot of damage is done because of that. 

44 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Well yesterday, it was definitely because we were missing Dexy. They were running up the middle on us no problem. 

All year long, it's been a couple of things. Okereke was bad the first 3 weeks, as was Kayvon. McFadden was as well. But since they've come on, we've been better against inside runs. On the boundaries, corners (outside of Jackson, who missed a few games) not getting off of blocks is a real problem. Banks is AWFUL at getting off of blocks and making tackles on the perimeter. He needs to improve on that big time. A lot of damage is done because of that. 

Banks definitely needs to improve there, but our rush defense shouldn’t come down to our CBs. The commanders still ran up the middle on us.

Out of curiosity I looked up a scouting report on Daniel Jones. Four years later the negatives are very telling.

Inconsistent. Rhythm player too easily knocked off rhythm. Prone to questionable decision making in the pocket, including forcing throws into traffic and failing to prioritize ball security. Underdeveloped as a big play, clutch operator. Sub-optimal arm strength, although again it’s more than adequate enough to make the full array of NFL throws. Can hold the ball in the pocket too long and has not yet developed instincts for the proper time to break the pocket and scramble. Picturesque overall mechanics can be severely compromised by pressure. Often plays blind to edge rushers and underneath zone defenders.

Scouting Report: Daniel Jones — TD SCOUTING

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally something positive to talk about: Tommy Devito. I'm not ready to say he's our future starter or anything. But he is definitely testing our theory that "no quarterback could play well behind that line." This one did. 

It's doing a number on our draft position but, for Giants football being fun to watch again, that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Tommy DeVito's magical Giants moment was never in doubt (nypost.com)

• Like 1

With the loss to the Saints, it's time to finally give up on the playoff pipedream and look forward. Here's a few off-season defining moments to debate:

1. Had Devito done enough to be QB2 next season? I don't think he's quite there yet but close. NO is the best defense he's faced and he couldn't do much but he didn't embarrass himself either. No turnovers again and is moving better in the pocket despite the sacks. If he can have another 1-2 good games, it helps a lot not having to pay for a backup QB.

2. There's two players that can give them sizable cap savings: Mark Glowinski and Darius Slayton. The former is an easy cut. Darius Slayton is more complicated. At the moment, I'm leaning toward cutting him. It's not his fault, I like him. But he's not good enough to elevate an offense and therefore, that money is needed elsewhere. 

3. Saquon-Schoen Part II - I think it'll be much less dramatic this time, but it's just as unclear what's going to happen. You might assume the tag is automatic without an extension, but there is someone else that may need the tag...

4. What happens with Xavier McKinney? - McKinney has had a weird career with the NYG. He's a very good player but not as great as he may think. It's hard to imagine him giving a hometown discount. I'm not even sure he likes it here. With the safety position also offering a reasonable franchise tag, he may be more important to keep around than Saquon. It's really hard to say.

5. Big Fish Shopping - it's time to spend. Schoen can't afford budget 1 year deals again. We have needs at QB2 (maybe), WR1, WR 2/3, iOL, RT, EDGE2/3, CB1 and more if we don't re-sign some guys. There are top players at important positions. There are WR1s to be had. There are starting OL available. There are veteran EDGEs that can give us depth and push/surpass Azeez. Of course, not all of these guys will be available once FA starts but a good amount will be.

6. What is our CB situation next season - it's one of the most important positions on the field and there are a lot of question marks. Deonte Banks has had a pretty good rookie season, but you can't pencil him in as CB1. Adoree has had a bad walk year and is less and less likely to be back. CorDale Flott has potential but also make too many bad plays. I would love to get a CB1 in FA because their contract would roll off the books by the time you have to pay Banks anyway. 

7. Which coordinators are back? - I really hope Wink is still here next season. I don't want to start over when we finally have some pieces in place on defense. I like Kafka but am fine with him leaving too. 

8. What are we doing at the top of the draft? We are likely to have 3 picks in the top 50. Personally, I'm targeting WR with our top 10 pick. It's a strong WR class including at the top, and I'm not against drafting two of them this year. We need that alpha and even if we get on in FA, teams with two alphas are running the league. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Here's a few off-season defining moments to debate:

While you listed some interesting debates I think the most important debate was missed. What are we doing about our QB1 situation? I believe these last four games will prove to everyone that Devito is a backup QB at best. Let's say we draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2 that is not Caleb or Maye. Do they start, or does DJ start? Can we keep three QB's on this team, the rookie QB, DJ and Devito?

This team does have some pieces to work with to be good, but it is not going to happen till we get our QB1 situation straightened out. 

18 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

While you listed some interesting debates I think the most important debate was missed. What are we doing about our QB1 situation? I believe these last four games will prove to everyone that Devito is a backup QB at best. Let's say we draft a QB in rounds 1 or 2 that is not Caleb or Maye. Do they start, or does DJ start? Can we keep three QB's on this team, the rookie QB, DJ and Devito?

This team does have some pieces to work with to be good, but it is not going to happen till we get our QB1 situation straightened out. 

The ideal situation if it pans out is we draft a guy in rd1 (the current hot prospect is Daniels) and Jones takes the reigns for a yr while Daniels learns the offense. After that, release Jones after the 2nd yr of his contract or if he balls out keep him. DeVito, while he's a great story, gets his release and signs for another team to a decent backup QB contract. That's what im thinking. 

19 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I didn't include it because I don't think they'll have the opportunity. There are too many QB needy teams ahead of them in the draft. I truly believe we're going to see Jones next year with the possibility of a 2nd-3rd round project. But you're right, it is a big debate!

• 3 weeks later...

We all know the draft scenarios based on who wins, but we have 2024 schedule scenarios as well!

The Giants are locked in as the NFC East 3rd place team meaning they play the 3rd place team in the NFC North, NFC West and AFC South. The 3rd place team is very wide open!

Schoen presser scheduled for 0830 on Monday morning. Weird that it is scheduled so early, and so soon after the last game of the season. My first thought is that he wants to hold it before any coaching changes are made so he doesn't have to answer questions about them. Why else would you schedule so early?

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Schoen presser scheduled for 0830 on Monday morning. Weird that it is scheduled so early, and so soon after the last game of the season. My first thought is that he wants to hold it before any coaching changes are made so he doesn't have to answer questions about them. Why else would you schedule so early?

I wouldn’t read into that at all. Last year’s press conference was the monday after we were eliminated.