Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

4 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

That's a pretty good comparison with where he's at right now. Hopefully he can turn it around because we're not getting Trevor Lawrence so it's in our best interest for DJ to work out

I think that’s his ceiling rather than where he is right now which is not good enough for that investment we made in him. He should at very least be Matt Ryan level. 

19 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think that’s his ceiling rather than where he is right now which is not good enough for that investment we made in him. He should at very least be Matt Ryan level. 

I think you're taking recency into effect here. Tannehill was no better than Jones in his 2nd year

Welp after last nights heartbreaker to the Succaneers, ill repeat myself again. Jones is Jameis Winston 2.0. This one was on him bar none. How in the world can this kid just not learn when to take a sack and not toss game changing interceptions. The oline played its best game of the season, this defence held us in to the bitter end and special teams even had us set up for good position a couple of times. The common denominator this whole season is that Jones just has too many turnovers leading to losses. Im so done with him. At this point take Justin Fields and run with it. So F-IN pissed about how we lost that one last night. 

Edited by Giants4eva
  • Like 2

Brady, in his first season as a starter, once threw four second half interceptions and cost his team a win against Denver. But in his case, he improved his mental game so he'd never play that badly again. He went on to be the most accomplished franchise QB in league history, and nobody remembers that Denver game unless they're watching highlights from '01.

Jones just isn't showing the kind of improvement you need in a franchise guy from week to week. He is guaranteed to give the ball to the other team two or three times in virtually every game, no matter how well the o-line plays (and they have improved). He knows it's coming. The team knows it's coming. The opponent knows it's coming. Psychologically, it puts us behind the eight ball and I don't think we can go much further with him under those conditions.

It really surprises me how many people here seem to think Rome was built in a day. Jameis Winston was giving 5 seasons in Tampa Bay,   Mitch Trubisky is benched in his fourth season with the Bears. Now DJ, with a new coaching staff, new offensive system,  no real offseason no preseason games  and you guys want him gone with out even two seasons under his belt?

When you put a young QB on a bad team most of the time that team is going to lose. Eli did not replace Kurt Warner because the Giants needed a spark. Coughlin thought he was ready and it was time he took his lumps. We need to do the same with DJ (unless a can't miss QB drops to us in the draft).  Lets say the Giants listen to some of the people here, get rid of DJ bring in a veteran QB and go 6-10 and win this division. Other than getting creamed in the wildcard game we would have gained nothing. No QB of the future  and not even a top 10 draft pick to work with. As it stands there are 8 other teams out there that have 2 wins or less. So even losing with DJ we are not guaranteed a top 5 pick which this team clearly needs.

Luckily the Giants are not going to listen to some of the people here, DJ is going to get next season to prove he is good enough to be our starting QB, I believe he will prove some of the people here wrong. The Giants are going to let DJ take his lumps now and yes suffer some painful losses due to him  so next season they don't have to go through this with him. 

• Like 1

I'm hopeful to get to see Mckinney in action in a few weeks I hope.  The defense has surprised a bit this year I think.  I think Gates has been playing better at center?  And maybe these three young guys on the OL can start to play pretty well in the next few weeks.  

I'm sorry, but I don't think DJones is the guy.  Sometimes you see him scramble and make a great play, or drop back and make a really pretty throw and a good read, and I think there's a real tendency for people to see someone with the physical tools and assume that their awareness and cognitive abilities will improve, but that's not a guarantee.  It even seems likes he's trending downward in that respect.  

• Like 1

Speaking of the defense, I can't wait to see what we have in Xavier. But if you couldn't tell from the avatar, James Bradberry is my favorite Giant. He's one of the best corners in the NFC right now, a no-nonsense guy who has made plays for us all season long. I might end up buying his jersey.

BTW, shall we get somebody new to make the Week 9 game day thread? Maybe @GMENNATION, @Go_Giants or @Kip Smithers? So far nobody's had any luck. 😑

• Like 1

9 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Speaking of the defense, I can't wait to see what we have in Xavier. But if you couldn't tell from the avatar, James Bradberry is my favorite Giant. He's one of the best corners in the NFC right now, a no-nonsense guy who has made plays for us all season long. I might end up buying his jersey.

BTW, shall we get somebody new to make the Week 9 game day thread? Maybe @GMENNATION, @Go_Giants or @Kip Smithers? So far nobody's had any luck. 😑

Ya i think without question Bradberry has played at a pro bowl level this season. Hes been our best player overall regardless of position. I am very intrigued to see what McKinney can bring to this defence. Wanna see us hopefully in the next draft or FA get a legit pass rusher. 

• Like 2

Despite the crappy season, I do like what I've seen / heard from Joe Judge.  Definitely think he should get another chance with a new GM / QB next season.  However, if the Giants do get a new QB, please dump Jason Garrett.  That's been a failure.

29 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Despite the crappy season, I do like what I've seen / heard from Joe Judge.  Definitely think he should get another chance with a new GM / QB next season.  However, if the Giants do get a new QB, please dump Jason Garrett.  That's been a failure.

eh, I disagree on Garrett.. it was ugly early but he seems to have found how to get the most out of the pieces he has.. honestly, if they solved Daniel Jones's issues they'd have 3-4 wins and would be putting up considerably more points. I think they look way more competitive this year than last so even though Jones had better numbers last year, I don't put that on Garrett

• Like 1

Austin Mack showed up! He was probably our leading receiver since I barely heard Shepard or Slayton's names all day.

And I love a bruising running game, so props to Gallman and Morris for all they did today. Even without Freeman, we're clearly getting more of a push up front.

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Austin Mack showed up! He was probably our leading receiver since I barely heard Shepard or Slayton's names all day.

And I love a bruising running game, so props to Gallman and Morris for all they did today. Even without Freeman, we're clearly getting more of a push up front.

The push up front was very noticable today. The big guys up front are starting to trust each other and beginning to jell. Our rbs were feasting today. If u saw the left side of the line with Thomas, Lemieux and even Peart was the heavy side they were running towards 

• Like 1