GDT: Titans (5-1) at Bengals (1-5-1)

Titans fan 617

second half adjustments were a clear advantage on defense last year with pees, but i don't think that holds true this year. we held houston to 10 points in the first half and then got ripped up in the second. held jacksonville to 10 in the first half, then gave up 20 in the second. definitely coming off a solid 2nd half against the steelers, so hopefully we can build on that.

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

second half adjustments were a clear advantage on defense last year with pees, but i don't think that holds true this year. we held houston to 10 points in the first half and then got ripped up in the second. held jacksonville to 10 in the first half, then gave up 20 in the second. definitely coming off a solid 2nd half against the steelers, so hopefully we can build on that.

I think the point is more when we're trailing or in a tight game. you're forced to make more changes when you're trailing/tied to try something different/adjust

Obviously we let both Jax/Houston back in the game and should have handled things differently in the second half, but it's not like we often see teams w/ 20 point halftime leads win by 40. That type of offensive continuity is too difficult to maintain once any remotely decent defense has a chance to adjust at half. for better or worse, seems like most offenses also tend to take their foot off the gas a bit to protect a lead

31 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think the point is more when we're trailing or in a tight game. you're forced to make more changes when you're trailing/tied to try something different/adjust

Obviously we let both Jax/Houston back in the game and should have handled things differently in the second half, but it's not like we often see teams w/ 20 point halftime leads win by 40. That type of offensive continuity is too difficult to maintain once any remotely decent defense has a chance to adjust at half. for better or worse, seems like most offenses also tend to take their foot off the gas a bit to protect a lead

i'm not saying i was expecting 40 point wins. i'm saying that even if we just maintained our defensive levels and held them to ~20 points each, both of those games would have been comfortable wins instead of the nailbiters they were, and we failed to do that (admittedly the houston game was influenced by some turnovers on offense as well).

38 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i'm not saying i was expecting 40 point wins. i'm saying that even if we just maintained our defensive levels and held them to ~20 points each, both of those games would have been comfortable wins instead of the nailbiters they were, and we failed to do that (admittedly the houston game was influenced by some turnovers on offense as well).

It’s not that easy though. Houston likely saw something within the D we were playing in the first half that they could take advantage of and probably made some sort of adjustment in the second half 

Keeping up the defensive intensity or level of play doesn’t account for sceme and how an opposing offense attacks the scheme. Coaches are too good at identifying weaknesses and moving to a plan B for there to not be at least a momentum shift or two within a game (in most games at least. Obviously there is always a blowout or two a week, which we have been part of on both sides)

it’s rare to have the momentum all game. We have shown a great knack for swinging it back in our favor, tho, once we don’t have it

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

It’s not that easy though. Houston likely saw something within the D we were playing in the first half that they could take advantage of and probably made some sort of adjustment in the second half 

Keeping up the defensive intensity or level of play doesn’t account for sceme and how an opposing offense attacks the scheme. Coaches are too good at identifying weaknesses and moving to a plan B for there to not be at least a momentum shift or two within a game (in most games at least. Obviously there is always a blowout or two a week, which we have been part of on both sides)

it’s rare to have the momentum all game. We have shown a great knack for swinging it back in our favor, tho, once we don’t have it

???? i'm not talking about blowouts, i already said that. i'm talking about comfortable wins that don't require an insane comeback or last second drive, which every single team at the top of the nfl standings (pittsburgh, baltimore, tampa, seattle, green bay, kansas city) has done multiple times.....except us. and i am saying that is because our defense sucks. the closest in that bunch is seattle, who also has a bunch of nailbiters and oh hey, their defense also sucks lol. obviously momentum swings back and forth during games, that's a given. but even when our offense goes through rough patches, they usually end up producing relatively consistently, because they're a strong unit. i think it's entirely fair to expect better of our defense and think that if they held up their end of the bargain, we'd be sitting through far fewer nailbiters. maybe it's not that easy, but i also don't think it's too much to ask.

Edited by -Hope-

7 hours ago, -Hope- said:

???? i'm not talking about blowouts, i already said that. i'm talking about comfortable wins that don't require an insane comeback or last second drive, which every single team at the top of the nfl standings (pittsburgh, baltimore, tampa, seattle, green bay, kansas city) has done multiple times.....except us. and i am saying that is because our defense sucks. the closest in that bunch is seattle, who also has a bunch of nailbiters and oh hey, their defense also sucks lol. obviously momentum swings back and forth during games, that's a given. but even when our offense goes through rough patches, they usually end up producing relatively consistently, because they're a strong unit. i think it's entirely fair to expect better of our defense and think that if they held up their end of the bargain, we'd be sitting through far fewer nailbiters. maybe it's not that easy, but i also don't think it's too much to ask.

Our D is allowing an average of 13 first half PPG. 18th in the NFL. We are allowing 12.5 second half PPG, which is 17th in the NFL. Smack dab in the middle for both.

Our D sucks, nobody is arguing that. But maybe your real beef is with the offense that put up only 6 third quarter points against Jacksonville and 0 third quarter points against Houston.

you’re going to blame the Houston second half comeback on the D? No chance. Art Smith shat the bed that third quarter. You said it yourself that the Houston comeback was due to offensive turnovers. Why have the teams you mentioned been able to cruise to victories? Because their offense continued putting up second half points to pile onto a lead. We are 1-for-3 when having that opportunity so far, with the 1 being Buffalo.

But the topic we are discussing is how this team makes and excels at making second half adjustments, which we do. The sheer fact that we are winning close games — or coming back in games (MINN and PITT) — is a testament to that. If anything, it’s been our D that held up its end of the bargain (keeping Denver, Minn, Buffalo and Pitt under wraps) in the second half, where our offense slowed down against Jax and Houston for long stretches.

edit- but this all goes back to my original point that it’s “harder” to make second half adjustments when you’re winning by a lot. Perhaps we are taking our foot off the gas offensively, because it’s definitely not solely on our D as you are insinuating 

Edited by deeluxx3

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

He's a superstar wide receiver. An absolute thrill to watch on Sundays.

I don't think it's wrong to say that his ceiling is as high...or even higher...than any Titan ever. He's that good and only going to get better. HOF level talent.

• Like 1