The Pats QB situation

Apparition

45 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

If Philly are ready to move on to Hurts, then Wentz might be a good reclamation project. No idea what's happened to him lately, but there's no denying the arm talent. He's unlikely to be cut, thanks to cap issues, but who knows.

No f'n thanks. Let him be someone else's headache. 

• Like 1

I just realized that Cam threw for ~65 yard in 3+ quarts and Stid threw for ~60 yards in 3 plays lol Funny how with Cam is was 100% focus on the run.. then Stidham comes in the game and it switches right to a passing offense. 

Call me crazy.. but it makes me wonder if BB is playing Cam because he's better for the situation ( no reliable receiving weapons, he can run) instead of him actually being a better QB than Stidham. Stidhams decision making may not be all there.. but his throws sure look pretty compared to Cams. 

Makes me really wish that Cam was never signed so that we could have seen what a full season of Stidham would be like.. sure we may have lost more games .. but I'm still curious as hell of what Stidham would look like. It also makes me wonder more about our TE's .. could either of them have had some kind of production if they were actually in a passing offense? Is all of their playing time determined by how well they can run block, etc? 

Wouldn't that be some kind of hell if we get another offseason of " The Patriots are confident Stidham will be the next QB and don't anticipate drafting anyone" .. (pulls out hair) 

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Call me crazy.. but it makes me wonder if BB is playing Cam because he's better for the situation ( no reliable receiving weapons, he can run) instead of him actually being a better QB than Stidham. Stidhams decision making may not be all there.. but his throws sure look pretty compared to Cams. 

It's an interesting theory, but I still think the more likely scenario is that Stid has just been very slow with his development and hasn't took the chances so far.

We can be forgiven for getting a little excited, but I think we've just seen next to no decent QB play through the air this season that as soon as any semi capable thrower comes in we think this could be it, but it's still very early days for Stid who has finally had a garbage time appearance without throwing it to the other team. 

The Rams will not bend over so easily, I could easily envisage Cam having a howler, and Stid throwing more INTs in the 4th.

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Wouldn't that be some kind of hell if we get another offseason of " The Patriots are confident Stidham will be the next QB and don't anticipate drafting anyone" .. (pulls out hair) 

I don't have much hair left to pull out and i'm right here with you on this one LOL!

• Like 3

OK  Here the 2nd tier of QBs in the 2021 draft. I don't like any of them however we all have to look at QB a little bit differently going forward, I think !.  The blueprint for the Pats offense in the future is what we are seeing now. I'm not talking about the results but how they are going (style)  to play in the future. The QB listed play this style . Let's call CN style that can throw the ball.

1. Jamie Newman, Georgia

2. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

3. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

Anyone have any comments. " help a brother out"

I have no idea how to judge these guys and I have never watched them play.

These last two are pocket passer however they have serous flaws in their game and they would be 6th RD choices IMO.

K.J. Costello, QB, Mississippi State

Davis Mills, QB, Stanford

All the rest junk

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

OK  Here the 2nd tier of QBs in the 2021 draft. I don't like any of them however we all have to look at QB a little bit differently going forward, I think !.  The blueprint for the Pats offense in the future is what we are seeing now. I'm not talking about the results but how they are going to play in the future. The QB listed play this style . Let's call CN style that can throw the ball.

1. Jamie Newman, Georgia

2. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

3. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

Anyone have any comments. " help a brother out"

I have no idea how to judge these guys and I have never watched them play.

These last two are pocket passer however they have serous flaws in their game and they would be 6th RD choices IMO.

K.J. Costello, QB, Mississippi State

Davis Mills, QB, Stanford

All the rest junk

I had mentioned Ridder a little while back I like some things about him but he tends to fall back mechanically a lot. I don't know if anybody in the 2nd tier is as good or better than Stidham.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 6:27 PM, Crimmage said:

I just realized that Cam threw for ~65 yard in 3+ quarts and Stid threw for ~60 yards in 3 plays lol Funny how with Cam is was 100% focus on the run.. then Stidham comes in the game and it switches right to a passing offense. 

Makes me really wish that Cam was never signed so that we could have seen what a full season of Stidham would be like.. sure we may have lost more games .. but I'm still curious as hell of what Stidham would look like. It also makes me wonder more about our TE's .. could either of them have had some kind of production if they were actually in a passing offense? Is all of their playing time determined by how well they can run block, etc? 

I think Stidham as the ability but I'm not sure after that. I think being injured early in training camp set Stidham back and it was something, not physical but more of a confidence thing, that he couldn't over come. I read somewhere that the Patriots felt that Stidham was often star struck by his teammates like he didn't feel like he belonged there.

Three games left and I feel like it's going to be a long off season.

I don't think Stidhams injury in training camp mattered tbo. As soon as Cam was signed, Stidham wasn't going to be the starter. Even in the few moments we've seen .. Stidham is a dramatically better thrower of the football .With Cam not making the best decisions, terribly passes at players feet or being batted down, and his running now being nearly as dynamic as the beginning of the season .. what is the case for keeping him as the starter? 

Something happened in the offseason .. something which angered BB ( all players admit to him being petty/spiteful/etc.). I remember at some point during the offseason he went back to Texas instead of staying in Foxboro .. maybe it was a wedding or something else, but he left for a month or more .. I think that had a lot to do with it. It was never the same since. If we listen to how BB talks about Cam, he emphasizes that he does everything asked of him, he is the first one in and last one out, hardest worker on the team, etc. It almost feels like a Malcolm Butler  / Chase Winovich situation where he angered BB and lost his job because of it. 

Does anyone believe Hoyer is better than Stidham and should have been the #2 QB out of camp? 

I'm not saying Stidham is going to be a starting QB in this league, i've got no idea.. but I also don't believe this coaching staff truly knows either. It's one thing to see a player in practice .. it's a totally different thing to see them get first team reps and be a starter against NFL competition. Look at Jimmy, terrible practice player who suddenly played well when he played in a real game. We've got no idea what Stidham is which is why I was personally against signing Cam this season. Even if Stidham were to play the next 3 games and do pretty well, we don't know if you can afford to not draft a QB in the first 2 rounds and go with Stidham as the future .. we just don't have enough of a sample size anymore imo ( especially because idk if he will get ANY starts this season) 

• Like 1

Got to face reality...there's probably only 1 long time franchise QB in this draft. Never been convinced on Lance and Fields, and I did like Wilson but he turned into hammered zhit as soon as he played anyone remotely capable

I reckon Bill is figuring out ways to get Jimmy back in order to plug the gap until a better QB in draft

Edited by Hunter2_1

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

As soon as I start thinking " Maybe Task will be good" .. he turns into a pumpkin LOL 

I was watching last night as well however I  was flipping channels. What did you see that concerns you. What I saw, he was getting huge gains passing, 2 intercepts one just crazy, and at the end I heard he had  three and outs, 3 times.

My take away from that game was the FLA are idiots, the coach should be fired if Pitts was a healthy scratch, at least dress him. Your going for the NT and you take LSU for granted! AUFKM!!!.

My question,  was it him or the team that turned into the pumpkin. Do you think it hurt his draft stock,  will fall, to say 47th pick!!! 😁

PS   I love watching teams that allow their players to act like fools all game and to have them get burnt by the foolishness. Throws the guys shoe down the field. 1ST DOWN. Live with that you idiots. Game over, NOT!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOIVUhwyTPo

Edited by m haynes

• One interception I don't blame him for, I don't remember the other 100% but i'm pretty sure at the time I thought it was his fault (he also had a fumble) 
  • He looked like a guy who hadn't seen a decent defense before, any pressure and he we trying to get the ball out as fast as possible when he had more time than he thought he had. He finished around 60% completion for the game that was probably his worse decision making game I have seen 
  • Two awful sacks.. one for 15+ yards and another i believe for 10+ .. I know he's not the fastest guy in the world but you've got to be able to get away and throw that ball away.. instead of running backwards and getting sacked 

Makes me worried to see him play Alabama.. I think he could get exposed next game and while this one could be a fluke .. next week could really hurt him. If he plays well against Alabama, he's a top 20 pick.. if he gets destroyed to the tune of 2+ Int, a fumble, 2+ sacks that are his fault, under 60% completion percentage.. he's going to tank downwards to that Drew Locke level of mid second rounder.

The one thing I did like was after the game he apparently look all the blame for the loss, that's leadership and teams at the next level will appreciate that. Especially when his coach was apparently making all kinds of excuses. 

• Like 1