The Pats QB situation

Apparition

16 hours ago, biggie. said:

Here's a list of other notable names;

Dak Prescott - Obvious no go due to cost

Philip Rivers - Still effective despite his age, but how expensive will he be?

Jacoby Brissett - Familiar with the system, has starter experience and has the mobility that's catching Belichick's interest.

Mitch Trubisky - First round pedigree and while he is hot and cold, he's not as bad as people make him out to be. Maybe he needs a change of scenary and better coaching?

Tyrod Taylor - Pretty much a clone of Brissett.

Andy Dalton - Was heavily rumored to sign with us last offseason and has played relatively well in Dallas.

If SF release Jimmy as rumored, then we have our obvious target.

The main reason I'd pick Fitz is because he has shown he can adapt to any team he's on, he's a great locker room presence and would fit in with the Patriot Way and he wouldn't be overly expensive. Belichick has also shown history of signing players that give him trouble ala Welker and Gilmore.

I would add Stafford to this list, and he'd be the one I'd choose to sign, assuming Jimmy doesn't get released. Wouldn't object to Dalton either.

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

For anyone interesting in checking out Trask .. game starts now and he is playing without his top 2 receivers ( Pitts / Toney). 

Damn I missed it. I saw high lights and the interceptions however can anyone tell me about the other QB traits. Did he move in the pocket, did he go through his progression. I'm looking pass the numbers and results.

I understand the 1st interception was awful however that doesn't concern me. It more about playing the QB position. Just remember a couple of weeks back TB was making throws and interception that were head scratches.

I hope you understand what I'm asking.

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

Damn I missed it. I saw high lights and the interceptions however can anyone tell me about the other QB traits. Did he move in the pocket, did he go through his progression. I'm looking pass the numbers and results.

I understand the 1st interception was awful however that doesn't concern me. It more about playing the QB position. Just remember a couple of weeks back TB was making throws and interception that were head scratches.

I hope you understand what I'm asking.

It was pretty ugly for the most part: 

• One of his INT looked like a receiver may have run the route wrong but the other two were def his fault. One of them he was blatantly staring down his receiver and the defender undercut it and took it back for a score
  • INT in his first two drives.. then he got benched for a couple drives and they were able to score ( mainly because of how athletic Jones is and his ability to run) 
  • His pocket wasn't ideal but the OL wasn't particularly worse than other games I've seen.. he shrugged off the first 2 INT but when he got the 3rd he was noticeably frustrated on the sidelines which is why I think they first switched QBs for awhile
  • He had a few nice throws which were accurate but for the most part he didn't seem comfortable.. some would say that his lack of elite arm strength resulted in at least one INT as well 

I think you will see two camps from this game.. some that don't change their view on him at all.. and some that absolutely crush him and think he is a late 2nd rounder. 

The question is: Do you believe he struggled because he didn't have great players around him to make him look good? ( Pitts/Toney / his top 4 receivers) .. or did he struggle because he has little to no chemistry with the guys who were on the field.. and the backup played better than him because he can run / has much better chemistry with the backups.

I think it will hurt his draft stock with a lot of teams.. BUT a team like the Steelers could still grab him around 28 simply because they want the 5th year option and are willing to let him sit for awhile. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

he was blatantly staring down his receiver

This is what concerns me if he does it all the time. I haven't seen that in the past. I also have no problem with his arm in the Patriots system. Now if its TB I have concerns with arm strength. 

Thanks for the breakdown. .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I hate the logic that "oh this QB sucks cuz he can't produce with second string receivers."

THe vast majority of quarterbacks would have struggled in Trask's position. We can't expect to land the next Patrick Mahomes.

I'm not saying that Trask sucks but he showed that he struggles throwing in tight windows. I don't look at what the receiver does I look at the QB's decision and throw. It is easy to make good decisions and throws with wide open receivers in the NFL you don't get a lot of wide open guys.

Ridder could really help is draft stock with a big second half against Georgia. He played pretty well first half, some nice throws and ability to escape pressure. I love that he made a point to run but was still looking down field to make a pass instead of just putting his head down and running. 

The first two rounds could end up being pretty stacked with QBs taken compared to the last few seasons. If you're going to double dip at the position this is the year to do it.. especially because it's believed that next season will be a tough QB draft ( but you never know.. lots of guys show huge improvement their final season).

1 hour ago, jofos said:

I'm not saying that Trask sucks but he showed that he struggles throwing in tight windows. I don't look at what the receiver does I look at the QB's decision and throw. It is easy to make good decisions and throws with wide open receivers in the NFL you don't get a lot of wide open guys.

Yet the previous week he's hitting windows all over the field. IMO Trask had one bad interception that was all on him.

Mac Jones is one of the most boring QBs I've watched in awhile.. he gets the job done in that offense with those weapons but even in the second half.. any pressure and he's throwing away the ball. He's too safe .. I can only imagine how much he would be throwing the ball away if he didn't have such a good supporting cast. 

I really hope Saban doesn't tell BB to draft this kid .. he's the ultimate high floor, low ceiling kind of guy. Whatever team has Jimmy G should draft this kid because he's going to make a great backup for someone?