The Pats QB situation

Apparition

23 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mac Jones will be a top 10 pick at this point. If he is there at 15, the Pats would be drafting dumb yet again if they passed on another slam dunk.

You think so? Who would be drafting him that early or who are you thinking he gets drafted above? 

My thought had been that the earliest he would be drafted would be the 49ers

How is Mac Jones a top 10 pick? lol

He's not going higher than WFT at 19, and even that, I think, is too high for him given his ceiling (not to mention a poor fit for their offense).

Jones is a classic high floor/low ceiling guy. Dudes like that don't get picked in the top-10. Especially in years where the QB class is as deep as it is this year. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't go until the late 2nd round. 

Edited by Starless
  • Like 2

People on this forum love to assume that NFL teams will always draft for need when they clearly do not. Teams have grades assigned for every player they scout. They're not going to draft a player higher than that grade justifies. There's not going to be any team with a top-10 grade on Mac Jones.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

. I honestly wish we could have seen him flustered more to get an idea of how he handled it.

Ya me too. It would seal the deal for everyone. But I like the doubt, so he drops to 15.😁

franchise guy that can carry you to a win, he's going to need help surrounding him.

Brady needed help, his last year was brutal to watch. Jones definitely needs help with the crap there now. I put 7 QBs in the need no help category and other would be just like Jones with out help. I should say 7 without help have a slight  shot at winning.

4 months ago we were mocking Jones in the 2nd with a 1st round elite WR to pair with him.

I'm guilty on that one. I said once he was a 6th Rd-er. When I was looking up QBs I said screw him he's just another Bama boy.  What changed me was the mock draft forums. I'm saying, are they nuts, than I went back and staring researching and my opinion changed quickly.  Macarron was protected, he was doing basic stuffs, Jones is offense is so much more advanced.  I would love their OC with the Pats.

This is the same offseason I would hope for if we got Minshew

I'm coming around on that one. I want both. You steal him for a 4th. Great. Jags would be idiots to take a 4th thou.

I always wondered how teams/fans get in love with some college QBs in the draft with such a low ceiling and yesterday I got my answer. I already knew throwing deep to wide open receivers against backs that can't run helped hype up some QBs but last night I had more answers on why people assume a QB is NFL ready with his reads and all that crap.

Jakobi meyers' first pass showed me more QB level talent than Jones yesterday. And throwing is only part of the job for a NFL QB. Some say the easiest part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I'm coming around on that one. I want both. You steal him for a 4th. Great. Jags would be idiots to take a 4th thou.

Funny part is the fact that when I spoke on the Jags forums they were laughing like " pssh nobody will give a 4th for him" .. It's honestly crazy to me. 

To me you do the following: 

• Trade 4th for Minshew
  • Draft QB you believe can be future in first 2 rounds ( preferably at 15 or trade back in 1st to get 5th year option)
  • Go to playoffs with Minshew and he has a good to better season
  • Give QB 1-2 years to learn if Minshew is playing well
  • Trade Minshew or high draft pick QB after year 2 because hopefully one of the two is "the guy" and if you are trading Minshew I guarantee he gets you more than a 4th (WIN WIN!) 

Minshew with this team is a top 15 QB in the league, he showed great signs as a rookie in one of the worse organizations in the league.. put him on the best and he puts up big numbers. 

I know you were a big Trask guy.. would you rather have Mac Jones at 15? Or Waddle/Pitts and Trask in the 2nd? Jones is more accurate .. but Trask has WAY more experience playing under pressure.. his pocket is blowing up all the time.. i think they are much closer to each other in terms of prospects than people think. I may prefer the guaranteed star receiver with the project QB assuming i'm getting Minshew who I can happily let play for a couple years while the QB develops

Edited by Crimmage

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Trade Minshew or high draft pick QB after year 2 because hopefully one of the two is "the guy" and if you are trading Minshew I guarantee he gets you more than a 4th (WIN WIN!) 

I would not be so fast to get rid of Mini. I don't care who comes out of the battle. I keep the best one and hope that the rookie plays just like Jimmy G.  I believe Jimmy Johnson is one of the best ever building a team. Players are just assets to him. You have Troy Aikman, he goes out and drafts Steve Walsh. Who came close to being the starter.  Let the best man win and trade the other asset.

I know you were a big Trask guy.. would you rather have Mac Jones at 15?

I still like Trask however as I mentioned earlier, I didn't take Jones seriously. Now that I have, Jones is, IMO better. (always about the Pats and the fit)

I'm not like the crazy, know it all fans that shoot there mouth off to be heard with some ridicules comment. I try to take my time to gather as much info as possible. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but I do make the effort.  I still like Trask however i'm not sure at 15. Personally I would gamble, but that's my frustrate fan side!! I would like to trade down and get him but that won't happen. There's no one to trade with in the late teens early twenties. They are all looking for a QB.

Or Waddle/Pitts and Trask in the 2nd?

This is really tough. I'm a big Moore fan and I do like Waddle however based on your comment. Waddle, without any hesitation.  Two reasons, One, we have two TEs.  Good or Bad, (we don't know) Two we have no WRs other than Meyers. Waddle makes Meyers so much better.  I'm not a big fan taking a TE in the 1st RD. Pitts is a great college TE however I'm not in the camp he's the next Gronk. Also Waddle has more effect on all levels of the field. IMO you can get a TE in the 2nd RD. So that answer the Trask in the 2nd. He won't be there. PS if I had to rate them ON MY scale is Moore 1A and Waddle 0.5A😁 I'm a happy camper either way.

Edited by m haynes

11 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

I always wondered how teams/fans get in love with some college QBs in the draft with such a low ceiling and yesterday I got my answer. I already knew throwing deep to wide open receivers against backs that can't run helped hype up some QBs but last night I had more answers on why people assume a QB is NFL ready with his reads and all that crap.

Jakobi meyers' first pass showed me more QB level talent than Jones yesterday. And throwing is only part of the job for a NFL QB. Some say the easiest part.

Yeah.

Don't forget Blake Bortles looked twice as good as Mac Jones does now.

• Like 1