The Pats QB situation

Apparition

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

The whole “4th best QB” stuff is irrelevant. 

You’re a GM. Mac Jones (or which ever QB you think is at the bottom/available at picks 4 and 5) is sitting right there. You don't think he’s going to fall very far and definitely won’t fall to your pick at 15. Do you think he could be your QB of the future, your franchise QB? If yes, trade up if you can. If no, sit tight. It doesn’t matter if Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance were better prospects. It’s binary - do you think he can be your guy? 

If you think you’re looking at a franchise QB but don’t want to go up and get him because there were other guys that may have been better, that’s silly.

Would Mac Jones or Trey Lance be worth a top-10 pick in most drafts?
And keep in mind that Patrick Mahomes was the 10th overall pick. 

Personally, I would view Jones as a back-of-the-first-round type of talent. And Lance, I wouldn't even touch before pick 45. 

• Like 1

Jimmy was never happening. I don't think anything is happening before the draft. Minshew is the other option to me. He is on a 900k caphit and shouldn't cost much.

I think about anything is on the table, I just don't see NE giving up several first round picks 1 month before the draft to get up to #4 without knowing what happens at 3.

21 minutes ago, Starless said:

Would Mac Jones or Trey Lance be worth a top-10 pick in most drafts?
And keep in mind that Patrick Mahomes was the 10th overall pick. 

Personally, I would view Jones as a back-of-the-first-round type of talent. And Lance, I wouldn't even touch before pick 45. 

It doesn’t matter. 

If you believe they’re going to be franchise QBs, and that they won’t be available at your pick (which is a safeish bet for NE at pick 15), then you pull that trigger. Don’t get cute trying to play the game, keep it simple.

If you’re Bill, and you have little faith in Jones/Lance + have no issues walking away without any of them, then sure, sit tight. But if the only thing holding you back is their rank against QBs that are no longer available? That’s not smart.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

It doesn’t matter. 

If you believe they’re going to be franchise QBs, and that they won’t be available at your pick (which is a safeish bet for NE at pick 15), then you pull that trigger. Don’t get cute trying to play the game, keep it simple.

If you’re Bill, and you have little faith in Jones/Lance + have no issues walking away without any of them, then sure, sit tight. But if the only thing holding you back is their rank against QBs that are no longer available? That’s not smart.

There are other considerations.

Do you still do it if it means giving up the chance to draft a blue chip defensive player or receiver this year? AND next year AND in 2023?

I don't think you do for a guy whose realistic ceiling is Kirk Cousins or Colin Kaepernick.

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

There are other considerations.

Do you still do it if it means giving up the chance to draft a blue chip defensive player or receiver this year? AND next year AND in 2023?

If you think he is going to be a franchise QB? 100%, no brainer, absolutely.

3 minutes ago, Starless said:

I don't think you do for a guy whose realistic ceiling is Kirk Cousins or Colin Kaepernick.

Well that’s why I prefaced what I said so many times. Obviously, you don’t make that move that if you’re getting either of those players. But then you’re making that call based on your evaluation of them as players, not based on their ranking amongst other QBs, which is what I was saying.

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

If you think he is going to be a franchise QB? 100%, no brainer, absolutely.

Depends how you define the term. To me a franchise QB is a guy who elevates the team around him. He's not just a guy you can build around and compete with, but a guy who's the cornerstone of the team for a decade or longer. There are very few of those in the NFL. I don't think Jones or Lance are that type of player. 

Edited by Starless

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

Depends how you define the term. To me a franchise QB is a guy who elevates the team around him. He's not just a guy you can build around and compete with, but a guy who's the cornerstone of the team for a decade or longer. There are very few of those in the NFL. I don't think Jones or Lance are that type of player. 

...which is fine. I’m not commenting on them as players. I’m alluding to sentiments like this:

2 hours ago, Starless said:

NFL GMs might not be the smartest people in the world, but most, I think, are pretty well capable of doing cost-benefit analysis of shelling out massive capital to grab the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft.

Whether they’re first or fifth best is irrelevant. If you’re picking (or are in position to trade up), you gauge whether or not you think they’ll be good players for you - not their pre draft ranking. 

You could accurately say “you shouldn’t mortgage your future for a guy whose ceiling is Colin Kaepernick”, sure, because that’s looking at them as players, not their ranking. If Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, and Russell Wilson were thrown into a draft, you wouldn’t say “you don’t trade up multiple firsts for the third best QB in a draft”, because you know you’re getting Russell. If a team believes they’re getting a high caliber QB, it doesn’t matter if he’s ranked 4th or if he’s ranked 10th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

This had better be true. For the Pats sake.

I agree, but I don't think you can trust anything right now. BB most likely wants him back, just trying to angle the best deal possible. Whilst I hate the idea of him returning, if its a 3rd rd pick or below I don't hate the value.

15 hours ago, Starless said:

Y'all are really overthinking this. NFL GMs might not be the smartest people in the world, but most, I think, are pretty well capable of doing cost-benefit analysis of shelling out massive capital to grab the 4th or 5th best QB in the draft. Most of these teams y'all are talking about are NOT close to competing for a championship and won't pony up multiple FRPs to take a Trey Lance or Mac Jones. 

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying there's teams down there that do need a QB, and Mac jones won't be there for us. So IF we did want him, it would take a ridiculous trade down.

My prediction is this won't happen. I wouldn't do it either.

Edited by Hunter2_1