The Pats QB situation

Apparition

5 hours ago, ToonPatriot said:

I agree, but I don't think you can trust anything right now. BB most likely wants him back, just trying to angle the best deal possible. Whilst I hate the idea of him returning, if its a 3rd rd pick or below I don't hate the value.

A third round pick, especially the compensatory one from Brady signing last year, is good value for Jimmy G. I would make that trade if I were the Patriots, but it would be hard if I am the 49ers.

The issue is cap space for Jimmy G isn't there and I don't think he is worth that at all. Would have to restructure which probably wouldn't happen so it seems unlikely.

I think SF would need to restructure with him first, then trade him to the Pats. Wouldn't work otherwise because you couldn't trade for him then restructure after the fact. 

I'm sure SF would love to keep him one more year at a cheaper cost.. but he's unlikely to agree to that. What I really wonder is if he is able to force getting cut then he can do whatever he wants. No team is going to pay him 25+ million this season

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

A third round pick, especially the compensatory one from Brady signing last year, is good value for Jimmy G. I would make that trade if I were the Patriots, but it would be hard if I am the 49ers.

It isn't. A 3rd round pick for a QB who can't stay healthy and is just above average on his best days is highway robbery. 

JG will be 30 years old this year. He has a body of a 50 YR old with all the injuries.  His career will basically over if he get another injury. There will be no team that will touch him if this happens. What do you think other teams are going to do,  invest in a 32 yr old coming off another injury, No way.

JG SF days are numbered. The only way he stay is if they draft Fields or Lance. SF will have no choice but to keep him. So trade talks is a waste of time.

Now if they draft Jones all bets are off with JG staying with SF, however no moves will be made until they see Jones in house. IMO they would be nuts to trade him without first getting an idea if Jones can handle job.

Here the fun part, SF wins SB with JG!!!!! Now they are screwed if they trade him, especially if Jones struggles.  If he wins the SB his trade value is still not great because of the things I mentioned earlier.

Edited by m haynes

33 minutes ago, Starless said:

Forget about trading for Jimmy. They no longer have the cap room to do it, and even if they did the price would be too steep. 

They could tear up his contract the minute he's traded and make it work, all the guaranteed money stays with SF. I actually think there's a good chance he's released in the end. The Niners won't want to pay him $25M to be a stopgap or a backup.

59 minutes ago, dhunt2402 said:

They could tear up his contract the minute he's traded and make it work, all the guaranteed money stays with SF. I actually think there's a good chance he's released in the end. The Niners won't want to pay him $25M to be a stopgap or a backup.

THEY DO NOT HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO TRADE FOR HIM. The 49ers would need to be the ones to redo his contract for the deal to go through, which I don't see them doing because what would be the benefit on their end? The league literally will not allow a team to make a transaction that puts them over the salary cap after March 17. 

The only way Jimmy comes here is if he's released by the Niners.

And frankly, what would be the point of adding a deprecated veteran QB with durability issues when the team just signed one a few weeks ago?

Edited by Starless

41 minutes ago, Starless said:

THEY DO NOT HAVE THE CAP SPACE TO TRADE FOR HIM. The 49ers would need to be the ones to redo his contract for the deal to go through, which I don't see them doing because what would be the benefit on their end? The league literally will not allow a team to make a transaction that puts them over the salary cap after March 17. 

The only way Jimmy comes here is if he's released by the Niners.

And frankly, what would be the point of adding a deprecated veteran QB with durability issues when the team just signed one a few weeks ago?

You're technically right, yes, the Niners would be the ones officially redoing his deal. But they would be doing the Patriots bidding effectively in executing the contract the Patriots tell them to. So de facto, the Pats in that scenario control it entirely.

Why do the Niners do it? To get some kind of compensation (maybe a 3rd/4th rounder) instead of cutting him outright, which again I think is a pretty likely outcome at this point given (a) Jimmy is 100% going to ask for a trade when they draft a QB at 3, and (b) he's $25 mil in dead weight on their cap for the next two years unless they move him. If they wait until after the draft, the few teams with the need for a QB dwindle even further.

Fully agree with your assessment of acquiring him btw, but I'm not convinced Bill won't want to give it a shot if he's available. I don't think Cam's presence takes any move off the table.

3 hours ago, Starless said:

Why would ANYONE give anything more than a 5th rounder for a guy who's been out for 23 of a possible 48 games over the past 3 seasons?

I mean that's such a lazy take. We've literally taken half our Day 2 picks and lit them on fire the last few years, but draw the line at taking a flier on a possible Pro Bowl level QB who already knows the offense and the organization? The injuries are the only reason he's not totally untouchable and under contract for the next 5+ years.

I'm not sold on Jimmy as *the guy* for this team, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think they'll kick the tires if he becomes available for a mid round pick and he plays ball with the contract (and why wouldn't he, where else is a better situation next season?)

My guess is it won't line up this year for whatever reason, maybe they draft a guy. But that door aint closed, they're gonna need a guy for 2-3 years down the road and I don't think anyone thinks it'll be Cam.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

I mean that's such a lazy take. We've literally taken half our Day 2 picks and lit them on fire the last few years, but draw the line at taking a flier on a possible Pro Bowl level QB who already knows the offense and the organization? The injuries are the only reason he's not totally untouchable and under contract for the next 5+ years.

I'm not sold on Jimmy as *the guy* for this team, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think they'll kick the tires if he becomes available for a mid round pick and he plays ball with the contract (and why wouldn't he, where else is a better situation next season?)

My guess is it won't line up this year for whatever reason, maybe they draft a guy. But that door aint closed, they're gonna need a guy for 2-3 years down the road and I don't think anyone thinks it'll be Cam.

He's due to make $25 million this year.

You really think he's gonna rip up that deal to fit under the cap? The Pats currently sit at $12 mil under the cap. They'd need $9 mil or so to sign their draft picks. So they'd need JG's cap number to be $3 mil or less. That simply isn't feasible. 

If the Niners release him (which is the most likely scenario), then sure, let's work something out. But in a trade? Forget it. He's not worth any of that.

Putting aside the contract issues, which I think is prohibitive enough for us NOT to take him - unless some form of contract sharing can happen, if we sweeten it with picks?

But aside from the financials, I think Jimmy is getting dragged a bit too much. The injury issues are genuine issues, but we're talking like he's Dwayne Haskins. the 49ers are 22-8 (.733) when Garoppolo starts and 7-27 (.206) when anyone else starts over that span. That win-percentage gap (+.527) is larger than the difference between the best (New Orleans Saints) and worst team (Jets/New York Giants) in the NFL since 2017. 

He completed 80% of his passes against us - that was on the back of an unstoppable run game of course, but that's all we'd need him to be - a game manager. Throw 25 passes a game max. We now have two awesome TEs, a reliable pass catching RB, two big bodies receivers, a receiver who is QB friendly with how he finds space. Plus we have a good OL and a good running game

Yes, Jimmy is not the answer to solve our QB issue, but he'd be far better than what we have now if healthy. But yeah the health issue and financials are probably prohibitive. So it's probably a NO 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He completed 80% of his passes against us - that was on the back of an unstoppable run game of course, but that's all we'd need him to be - a game manager. Throw 25 passes a game max. 

I mean, he also threw 2 INTs which is actually a bit of a concern for him that seems to fly under the radar. People like to mention his 22-8 record but in that time he has 26 interceptions(!!) and five lost fumbles. That's not to mention the general eye test on his wobbly passes.

I just think we should be aiming higher. Yes the draft is a crapshoot but Lance/Fields at least have upside, potential. Right now Jimmy G is a known quantity - mid-lower tier game manager (when healthy). 

SF decided "enough of this, lets go find our QBoTF" and I think that should be our mindset too.