Week 8 GDT: Chargers @ Broncos

Broncofan

The thing is, it is hard to get the TE's to work without your run game working. TE's work best in behind the LB's and in front of the safeties. The best way to find that space is Play Action, which makes the LB's come closer to the Line of Scrimmage and thus creates space behind them.

I will need to look back at the film, but it appeared to me that the Chargers were, for the first 3 quarters, stopping the run with penetration from their DL and OLBs. That means the ILBs don't need to cheat the run and thus Play Action becomes redundant for your TEs.

It felt to me that Bosa and Ingram absolutely dominated the game the first 3 quarters, in both the run and pass game. I was keen for us to spread it out and look for quick 4-6 yard throws to get us going. It's what the Patriots used to do all the time to take away outside pass rush. Remember - everyone always used to say it's interior pressure that gets Brady, not outside.

I know the run game got going eventually, but you can't wait 3 quarters for your running game to get going. You will lose a lot more games than you will win doing that.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The thing is, it is hard to get the TE's to work without your run game working. TE's work best in behind the LB's and in front of the safeties. The best way to find that space is Play Action, which makes the LB's come closer to the Line of Scrimmage and thus creates space behind them.

I will need to look back at the film, but it appeared to me that the Chargers were, for the first 3 quarters, stopping the run with penetration from their DL and OLBs. That means the ILBs don't need to cheat the run and thus Play Action becomes redundant for your TEs.

It felt to me that Bosa and Ingram absolutely dominated the game the first 3 quarters, in both the run and pass game. I was keen for us to spread it out and look for quick 4-6 yard throws to get us going. I know the run game got going eventually, but you can't wait 3 quarters for your running game to get going. You will lose a lot more games than you will win doing that.

A little "Shanahanesque" creativity, motion, splitting one or both out wide, dropping one into the slot, all out of the same formation is how I'd imagine it. With the speed they both have we don't lose anything if we motion them into a WR spot.

I also remember how many different formations we'd end up with starting from a basic I under Mike. Shurmer should put some work in here. Thats a rare talent group at one position.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I think we can all agree however than Lindsay needs more touches. Insane he had as little as he did. I know we were down but still. He seems more likely to break a run than Lock is to hit first downs consistently. 

I agree there is a stark difference between Lindsay and MG3 and have wondered what the right balance is for Lindsay.  There have been durability issues and with his frame I don't think he will ever be a 20 touch/week back but he's so consistently productive that it's hard to see him on the sidelines as much as he is

48 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

I agree there is a stark difference between Lindsay and MG3 and have wondered what the right balance is for Lindsay.  There have been durability issues and with his frame I don't think he will ever be a 20 touch/week back but he's so consistently productive that it's hard to see him on the sidelines as much as he is

I think it's not just how many touches but when. Total I think about 10-12 per game is about right. I'd have about 75% of those in the 2nd half though when the defense has already played a lot of snaps. A fresh Lindsay versus some tiring big bodies favors Lindsay a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

(Obviously crazy talking about “one of the best OL’s in football,” but it was fun commentary.) 

We don't lose much with Schlottman. He's much more comfortable on the right though. Dotson's playing well, best RT play we've had for a long time. Risner's getting back in the game again, much better than the first four.

Cush still has a long way to go though. No patience or timing in pass-pro. He's getting a lot better when he's covered but when he's uncovered and free to DT or assist where needed he does an awful job. Instead of a punch or hand check to assist he jumps right into a DT attempt and usually over commits dreadfully. 

• Like 1

I just think so much relies on Lock being the franchise QB.  Elway has invested a ton in this offense.  It has the talent.  It needs the QB.

I trust Fangio with the defense.  I think he’s that high quality a defensive coach that he’ll get it done and Denver, considering what’s been invested offensively, should be able to go out this offseason and invest more defensively.

It’s Lock.  That’s the make or break here.  Has to get consistent. 

Edited by germ-x
  • Like 1

^^^ and by everything relying on Lock I mean this franchise from top to bottom.  I don’t think Elway is in it to continue to rebuild.  If Elway leaves the coaching staff leaves.  

While people may be for this, that’s the definition of a full blown rebuild.  I like winning.  If Lock is the answer I think we see a gradual transition.  Not a fire sale.

6 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

I would start with trying to get the ball to Lindsay in space. For a guy who made it a point to spend the entire off-season improving his catching they don't seem at all interested in even attempting to get him the ball that way.

9 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

What happened in the 4th quarter to open up the offense? It seemed night and day for Lock and the catalyst was the long Lindsay td

Sounds to me Lindsay's 55 yarder probably put the Charger D in check a bit????  Or, Shermer let Lock let it rip, which why wouldn't you let him do that from the beginning?  The kid has the arm to sling it, and he is going to throw some picks anyway, I'd rather him do that taking smart chances than second guessing himself. 

• Like 1