JJ Watt not looking to rebuild with Texans

DigInBoys

56 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

The Texans need to start rebuilding and cutting the bloated deals, Cooks, Watt, David Johnson, Duke Johnson those 4 alone will clear out over 41 mil putting them 30 under the cap for 2021

Bernardrick McKinney is also probably on his way out at a $10mm savings - and I think the plan is to restructure Cooks to a more manageable salary. He's pretty good for the team, just overpaid; If he was making in the $6-8mm range as opposed to the $12-14mm range, he'd be more acceptable to the longer term plans.

They are projected to be 12 mil over cap next year. 17.5 mil all non guaranteed money is due to Watt, so it looks like he is extending out to say that you can let me go and I can go latch on to a contender while you rebuild with the money you would pay me.

I interpreted that much differently - because as others have said, not much of a rebuild is necessary when you have a QB like Deshaun Watson. The offense isn't the issue in Houston, it's the defense - and Watt wants to be part of the solution, not give up on the problem.

Edit: After re-reading it, I can see what you're saying though.

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bernardrick McKinney is also probably on his way out at a $10mm savings - and I think the plan is to restructure Cooks to a more manageable salary. He's pretty good for the team, just overpaid; If he was making in the $6-8mm range as opposed to the $12-14mm range, he'd be more acceptable to the longer term plans.

I interpreted that much differently - because as others have said, not much of a rebuild is necessary when you have a QB like Deshaun Watson. The offense isn't the issue in Houston, it's the defense - and Watt wants to be part of the solution, not give up on the problem.

Edit: After re-reading it, I can see what you're saying though.

It will be interesting while they have Watson they really do not have anything else going for them. Outside of tunsil is that oline really that good? Watson is still one of the top 5 qbs who is sacked the most in the league. Fuller is a FA and Cooks is 12 mil, which is expendable or they can extend him if they want, then cobb would cost more to cut then keep so he is locked in. Like you said defense needs work but the offense is still not ideal. I think the new GM will have his work cut out for him with no 1st round pick and well over the cap I just do not see how they do not survive but cut all the bloated deals and make some trades to recoup some picks. Do you need to invest in 14 mil worth of RBs that can clear 12 just by letting both Johnsons go which to me is a no brainer. It will be one of those teams to watch this offseason and I wouldnt be surprised if Watt is one that is let go. Just dont see how it is financially smart to keep him around, take a pay cut and be on a team that is likely a couple years away from competing in the AFC again.

54 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

It will be interesting while they have Watson they really do not have anything else going for them. Outside of tunsil is that oline really that good? Watson is still one of the top 5 qbs who is sacked the most in the league

One thing about Watson that needs to improve is that he needs to get rid of the ball faster - a lot of his sacks are him holding onto the ball too long, waiting for something to develop downfield. He's got a gunslingers' mentality - it's both his greatest strength and biggest flaw.

Fuller is a FA and Cooks is 12 mil, which is expendable or they can extend him if they want, then cobb would cost more to cut then keep so he is locked in.

Fuller should command about as much as Robby Anderson did on the FA market - roughly $10-11mm aav. (It might be a mistake if someone paid him more). Cobb fits a need in the slot, and he's not really cost prohibitive - you need that slot guy and he's starting to get on the same page as Watson. Kenny Stills is gone (or, insurance if someone did pay Fuller above market value). Isaiah Coulter and Keke Coutee are cheap labor. 

Like you said defense needs work but the offense is still not ideal.

That was the gameplan for the most part - try to get by on bits and pieces, and rely on Watson's skill to elevate others. It's not ideal, but it can work with the right people in the right places (not necessarily a FRP). 

Do you need to invest in 14 mil worth of RBs that can clear 12 just by letting both Johnsons go which to me is a no brainer.

Oh, this is a given. Both Duke and David are gone, the Texans will have to find a guy off the street to take snaps - which they did last season when Carlos Hyde went for 1,000 following an end-of-camp trade. Finding an effective RB and shedding bloat from the RBs is probably one of the easier tasks, actually.

58 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

It will be one of those teams to watch this offseason and I wouldnt be surprised if Watt is one that is let go. Just dont see how it is financially smart to keep him around, take a pay cut and be on a team that is likely a couple years away from competing in the AFC again.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a very distinct possibility - it's on the table, that's $17mm that can be allocated elsewhere. I see an opportunity to restructure Watt's deal at the end of the off-season, an extension that pays Watt more money by converting salary to a signing bonus and prorating that signing bonus over a few years. But, you're just kicking the can down the street with that move.

It's possible. Heck, it's likely. But, don't sign this in ink just yet. There's still a lot about this team we simply don't know.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Fuller should command about as much as Robby Anderson did on the FA market - roughly $10-11mm aav.

Andrew Brandt was on the Pat McAfee show on Tues and said the contract talks are what likley killed the trade talks between Packers/Texans. Fuller and his agents were pointing to the Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas WR contracts as comparables. Not that Fuller is in that league as a player, but that range is the aiming point for FA contract discussions ($ 18-19 M per year) 
Fuller won't and shouldn't get that, especially in a COVID-cap year - but that's what his agents are pushing for and they're happy to take their chances in March vs signing a lesser deal with GB.

6 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Fuller and his agents were pointing to the Amari Cooper, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas WR contracts as comparables

Ha! Hahahahaha! 

Hahahaha!!!!

Hahahaaaaaaaaaa.... Hahahaha! Haaaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!

Boy, Fuller is in for a very rude awakening.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ha! Hahahahaha! 

Hahahaha!!!!

Hahahaaaaaaaaaa.... Hahahaha! Haaaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!

Boy, Fuller is in for a very rude awakening.

There is no awakening from that level of delusion.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

They also lost Nuk Hopkins which is massive

Which it is. I haven't been watching too many Texans games. But on paper they have weapons. Fuller, Cooks, Still, Coutee, Fells and Akins. Not sure how good David Johnson has played this year, but he is another one, that can be considered a weapon.

10 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Which it is. I haven't been watching too many Texans games. But on paper they have weapons. Fuller, Cooks, Still, Coutee, Fells and Akins. Not sure how good David Johnson has played this year, but he is another one, that can be considered a weapon.

Johnson is a significant bust, but the rest are performing well. Watson is having his best year as a pro, actually.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Win for the Texans, at least. I don't see Atlanta making a SB run anytime soon...

With the right coaching, I think they could get there. Watt + Fowler + Jarrett would be a ton of fun here. I think the offense is fine, though. The overhaul for the defense will be bigger than anything else. And Watt is a monster who could probably use a change of scenery. His leadership would help the defense, and honestly, I think adding him to the pieces Atlanta already has would give them someone with an edge that they've been missing.

19 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

We acting like this team wasn't just in the divisional round of the playoffs last year, on the road with a huge lead over the champs.

Yeah, but that's part of the problem. They progressed so much last year and they're 1-6 right now, which is one of the worst in the league.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Yeah, but that's part of the problem. They progressed so much last year and they're 1-6 right now, which is one of the worst in the league.

How much of that is BoB fatigue? Remember, even though he was fired - his entire staff is still here. Romeo Crennell is a demonstratively worse HC than BoB, so the coaching actually went from bad to worse. 

This year is a mulligan, everyone gets that. The only real time we'll find out who the Texans are is next season, with their new HC and GM.