What to do with Allen Robinson?

WindyCity

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They are going to tag Allen Robinson.

They will sign a couple of mid level Olmen

They will make a trade up for a QB

They will draft OL after that.

Depending on what they give up and who they actually select, i really wouldn’t mind that off-season at all.  But if they tag him and dont deal him i think they need to have a contingency plan in place in the event that he holds out for an extended amount of time.

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They are going to tag Allen Robinson.

They will sign a couple of mid level Olmen

They will make a trade up for a QB

They will draft OL after that.

I doubt ARob will play 2021 on the tag. Bears won't do him dirty like that plus it would only benefit them to get him under contract at a lower cap hit vs paying him $18M+ against cap for one year.

Either he's here long term or he's gone IMO

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I doubt ARob will play 2021 on the tag. Bears won't do him dirty like that plus it would only benefit them to get him under contract at a lower cap hit vs paying him $18M+ against cap for one year.

Either he's here long term or he's gone IMO

Why would they loose him for nothing in an offseason where they are trying to save their jobs?

They arent gong to be worrying about anyone’s feelings.

Nagy and Pace desperately need the offense to be better.

Robinson doesn’t want to sign here long term.

They aren’t going to weaken the offense they desperately need not to suck because of how Robinson feels. He won’t sit out either because 17 million is a lot of money and he has already been injured once. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Nagy and Pace desperately need the offense to be better.

Robinson doesn’t want to sign here long term.

They aren’t going to weaken the offense they desperately need not to suck because of how Robinson feels. He won’t sit out either because 17 million is a lot of money and he has already been injured once. 

Under those circumstances I think he would sit out

5 hours ago, G08 said:

We don't have the money and have 30 free agents to think about. Salary cap drops next season and we are F'd.

It's not as if we are flush with cash and being cheap...

We can't continue to devote so much of the cap to the defense if it means we lose Robinson. Well, Pace could potentially still be around, so we CAN, but it would moronic. 

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The fact he doesn’t appear to want to be here is a large hurdle as well.

What did I miss? Why doesn't he want to be a Bear? 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Why would they loose him for nothing in an offseason where they are trying to save their jobs?

They arent gong to be worrying about anyone’s feelings.

Because they cannot afford an 18M cap hit for a WR.

If they were ok with that kind of cap hit then he would have been signed long term by now, don't ya think?

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If they were ok with that kind of cap hit then he would have been signed long term by now, don't ya think?

They CAN afford the hit. It's not even that much more than what's he's currently making. 

However, it would require Pace to do some constructive maneuvering that he might simply refuse to do. And that's pathetic, as the contract would begin next year--and lots of space could be cleared simply by cutting Leno and Massie. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

They CAN afford the hit. It's not even that much more than what's he's currently making. 

However, it would require Pace to do some constructive maneuvering that he might simply refuse to do. And that's pathetic, as the contract would begin next year--and lots of space could be cleared simply by cutting Leno and Massie. 

They can afford the money, that is not a question. But as far as the team's salary cap situation for next season and considering their needs elsewhere, it would not be a prudent move to franchise him for that amount.

It just doesn't add up since the team reportedly balked at Robinson's asking price when initial talks happened back early in the season...and now people expect them to just say ok and pony up $18M on the tag?  I just don't see it.

What I can see a multi year contract where the average annual salary works out to that amount but with lower cap hits in the first 1 or 2 years.  Transition tag is also an option.

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It just doesn't add up since the team reportedly balked at Robinson's asking price when initial talks happened back early in the season...and now people expect them to just say ok and pony up $18M on the tag?  I just don't see it.

I'm not at all sure what they will do, so I don't really think we can look at it as something to "expect". 

I know what they SHOULD do, however...

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

We can't continue to devote so much of the cap to the defense if it means we lose Robinson. Well, Pace could potentially still be around, so we CAN, but it would moronic. 

What did I miss? Why doesn't he want to be a Bear? 

He has looked pissed off most games.

On social media he “likes” stuff about being set free and other teams.

I am not sure why he would want to stay with this **** show.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

They can. It wouldn’t be pretty, but it would be prettier than Miller getting 100 targets.

If he wants to sign long term I am sure they would be there with him, but Robinson would have to want to be here and want to work the contract in favor of the Bears.

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Under those circumstances I think he would sit out

IDK, I think he may sit out until the regular season but I don't think Robinson is going to just sit by and watch $18 mil pass him by for a single season.

On a side note, if he would want out I would let him and his agent seek a trade before I just let him walk for next to nothing. I'd tell him that I'll franchise him the next year too if he doesn't want to participate, or he can sign a franchise tag and I'd allow a trade and a no franchise clause if he wants to play ball. He'll be 28 next season and then 29 in 2022, so if he wants to sit out and miss two seasons and $38+ million to test the free agent market, fine. After the 2021 season there is a TON of cap that can be freed by cutting off the fat.

Pace wouldn't have the balls to do it, but still.

Also, if they refuse to sign the franchise tag then get tagged the following year they still get the escalated value, right? I believe so.

23 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

IDK, I think he may sit out until the regular season but I don't think Robinson is going to just sit by and watch $18 mil pass him by for a single season.

On a side note, if he would want out I would let him and his agent seek a trade before I just let him walk for next to nothing. I'd tell him that I'll franchise him the next year too if he doesn't want to participate, or he can sign a franchise tag and I'd allow a trade and a no franchise clause if he wants to play ball. He'll be 28 next season and then 29 in 2022, so if he wants to sit out and miss two seasons and $38+ million to test the free agent market, fine. After the 2021 season there is a TON of cap that can be freed by cutting off the fat.

Pace wouldn't have the balls to do it, but still.

Also, if they refuse to sign the franchise tag then get tagged the following year they still get the escalated value, right? I believe so.

I actually love putting the ball in the players hands here. I really really like Robinson too, but he's not a great fit for the pit the bears dug. Great player, seems like a great guy, but I wish the bears had moved him before the deadline.

Dunno about you guys but I'm moving into salary cap nihilism mode

• Like 1