Has the NFL figured out Lamar Jackson

Vladimir L

I said this coming into last season where he needed to become a better passer. He showed upside as a passer last season which helped him become dangerous. This season he has regressed AND teams aren’t letting him run wild. So that’s why he is struggling. Plus the whole playing with a lead that’s because you don’t have to throw. The second you force him to throw because they are behind it’s going to be tough because again he need to become a better passer. 

Greg Roman typically gets diminishing returns the longer he coaches for a team. 

If the Ravens rebuild their o-line, maybe acquire a better WR, get a fresh mind at OC, Lamar will drastically improve. 

I think it was unrealistic to expect him to improve his game that much after winning MVP and having COVID-shortened offseason. Now that he's taking some lumps, he'll have a better idea on what to improve. 

Edited by AngusMcFife
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I said this coming into last season where he needed to become a better passer. He showed upside as a passer last season which helped him become dangerous. This season he has regressed AND teams aren’t letting him run wild. So that’s why he is struggling. Plus the whole playing with a lead that’s because you don’t have to throw. The second you force him to throw because they are behind it’s going to be tough because again he need to become a better passer. 

Can you point to specific times this years when the Ravens have been behind, forced to throw, and Lamar has failed? 

For instance, if the Ravens are down 14 points in the 3rd quarter, are they "forced to throw"? Obviously not. If they have a drive that mixes runs and passes and scores a TD, they are still in the game. 

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

They traded away his #2 weapon and all they added was Dez Bryant. Lol Also, Hollywood Brown looks more like Reno Brown.

It doesn't matter who hit targets are when he can't pass. Complaining about only having Hollywood Brown and Dez Bryant AND mark Andrews is a cop out.

He can't pass. Just like his profile out of college. You can only run around for so long before the cute stuff gets solved.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

It doesn't matter who hit targets are when he can't pass. Complaining about only having Hollywood Brown and Dez Bryant AND mark Andrews is a cop out.

He can't pass. Just like his profile out of college. You can only run around for so long before the cute stuff gets solved.

False.

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Can you point to specific times this years when the Ravens have been behind, forced to throw, and Lamar has failed? 

For instance, if the Ravens are down 14 points in the 3rd quarter, are they "forced to throw"? Obviously not. If they have a drive that mixes runs and passes and scores a TD, they are still in the game. 

Maybe force is the wrong word. What I’m saying is not having the Ravens to just feel comfortable running their offense which is run heavy. Like you can still run down by 14pts but there is a little sense of urgency especially for a team that doesn’t win playing from behind. 

• Like 1

I said a few weeks back, I can't remember what thread it was in, that Baltimore is just built to absolutely steamroll teams that can't handle them, but when they're facing a better team that can get them off the script they want to run on O and D, they don't have as many different things they can go to to counter.

But, to answer the question, no, the league hasn't figured out Lamar. I HATE that phrase, inherently. Lamar is still incredibly hard to defend, in the ways that he has always been hard to defend. It isn't like he suddenly can't run fast or throw far. He's still having a good year, and he's still fully capable of everything he did last year. There was no way he was ever going to repeat last season, because statistical seasons like that are NEVER followed up with a proper repeat. But there is no magical secret formula that the NFL suddenly figures out, on any player, after a season like last year. It doesn't work that way. He's probably going to have another meh game against Pittsburgh, and then he's going to roll the last 5 teams on the Ravens schedule and everyone is going to think he's back, despite nothing haven't changed.

He and the Ravens are having a worse year, for sure, but there's a host of reasons for that. Without looking up hard data, if I had to guess, they've been much less fortunate than they were last year from an injury perspective. I think Skura was the only noteworthy player on the offense to miss more than 1 game to injury last year, though a Ravens fan could correct me there. This year they've had less stability on the OL, Ingram has been banged up, and now some issues at TE, and those spots are the core of that offense. I think even going back to last year, they did a poor job adjusting schematically when the game script did flip. They abandoned the run way too fast against us last year, and again this year, and more teams have been able to push them into the awkward spot of where they want to go pass heavy based on script, but they shouldn't based on personnel. Some blame Lamar for that, but there's a coaching issue there too. I think the WRs didn't develop the way they hoped, particularly Brown. There's also just a bit of luck, and a return to the mean. I think they were 5-1 in 1 score games last year. They're 1-3 now. Kind of thing that tends to regress to average year to year.

• Like 6