Lane Johnson's ankle collapsed.... out for the season.

TheRealMcCoy

Things like this is why I say that injuries are no excuse for this team and they are certainly not ¨bad luck¨. It happened the moment Chip left and Doug and Howie were brought in, people seem to forget that 2016 was also pretty bad injury wise. I´ve always question Doug´s competence of handling a football team and this very well may be the case. It certainly not on the medical staff since it has been changed three times already. 

• Like 1

I feel like in this catastrophe of a season we forgot we lost Andre Dillard. While he might not be as good as Jason peters was in his prime he should be a better upgrade than what we have assuming he is healthy. With the uncertainty of lane, we have Mailata and Driscoll who both can play and build on their experience this season. 

7 minutes ago, oland11 said:

And if we clean house with the coaching staff, Duece, Stoutland and our DB coach should stay. First two have done a good job with what they get dealt. Our DB coach turned rasul and Sidney into serviceable starters. 

I don´t think it was him. They were looking terrible in TC. Getting away from Schwartz´s horrible scheme does wonders for a DB.

45 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Things like this is why I say that injuries are no excuse for this team and they are certainly not ¨bad luck¨. It happened the moment Chip left and Doug and Howie were brought in, people seem to forget that 2016 was also pretty bad injury wise. I´ve always question Doug´s competence of handling a football team and this very well may be the case. It certainly not on the medical staff since it has been changed three times already. 

Agreed. Doug’s ability to manage and hold his coaches under him accountable has long been his biggest flaw as a HC. It’s been reported and talked about for years now. If he also doesn’t know how to manage injuries, then that is a big problem. He’s never been the same coach as he was in 2017 when he had the brain trust between him, Reich and DeFilippo. I’ve always been pro-Doug, but this season has put his job in jeopardy. We skated by the injuries and managed to sneak in the playoffs last season, but the division sucked that year too. If we played in a good division we might have been last or at the very least second to last the past two years. That is unacceptable and the injury excuse is old now. Almost every season Pederson has been here we have been thee most injured team, one of the most injured team or like middle of the pack (wow.... impressive!). I don’t think we probably fire him after this year cause he has the SB ring in his back pocket and is pretty tied to Howie. What’s that say about Howie if he fires Doug? It would be like admitting he himself is part of the problem. Maybe Lurie is so close to him he won’t fire him or make a shake-up somewhere, but I hope he does. I also don’t want to hear about pinning the blame more on the training staff as Doug. He has been the one constant these last 5 years, while we have had like 3 completely different training staffs. 

That was the only thing I liked about the Chip Kelly era was the sports science he brought to the team. Players may not have liked taking the hydration tests like every day and all the other stuff players might have saw as micromanaging, but it worked. The sports science worked. RIP the smoothies. I don’t even know if Doug believes in science let alone sports science. I wish we could have a happy medium between the two of them. 

Edit: Oh you also mentioned the training staffs. That point needs to hammered home though so I’m gonna leave my post as is. But, it seems like we all are starting to see eye to eye on this team now.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

43 minutes ago, oland11 said:

I feel like in this catastrophe of a season we forgot we lost Andre Dillard. While he might not be as good as Jason peters was in his prime he should be a better upgrade than what we have assuming he is healthy. With the uncertainty of lane, we have Mailata and Driscoll who both can play and build on their experience this season. 

Eh. We don’t even know if Dillard would’ve played better than Mailata has in limited action he was thrown into after Peters and Johnson went down with injuries and he’s flipped sides from LT to RT to back-up and now back to LT.

I’m not giving up on Dillard. He’s got a smooth pass set, but he still needs to get stronger like Johnson, Peters and even Mailata probably who Is a mountain of a man.

14 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

The further we bleed into the season, the more I feel that the remaining games are critically important for Doug. These next 6 games could very well hold Doug's future. I would've said no way before the season. But, here we are. 

Yep.

I'm not one to be as negative as I am in the OP of this thread, but things are looking pretty bleak right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he'll even be ready for the start of next season?
Another reason we'll probably take an OL instead of Ja'Marr or Parsons. Dillard likely sucks, Isaac sucks whenever the LT sucks, Kelce probably gonna retire, Brooks coming off major injury, Lane coming off major injury. 

Mailata--Isaac--Herbig--Brooks--Dillard Will possibly be our OL to start the year. Eesh.

Edited by Jeezla

31 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I wonder if he'll even be ready for the start of next season?
Another reason we'll probably take an OL instead of Ja'Marr or Parsons. Dillard likely sucks, Isaac sucks whenever the LT sucks, Kelce probably gonna retire, Brooks coming off major injury, Lane coming off major injury. 

Mailata--Isaac--Herbig--Brooks--Dillard Will possibly be our OL to start the year. Eesh.

I bet he'll be ready. At the very least, you have quality depth in Dillard and Mailata. Let them battle it out for starting LT. Kelce prob gonna retire yes. I feel fine about Brooks. Gotta figure out center and LG bc Herbig can't start. Driscoll should be able to play LG and maybe Seumalo at center? Mailata/Dillard-Driscoll-Seumalo-Brooks-Johnson. I think that's a solid line as long as Driscoll and Seumalo can play their new positions.

By no means do I want an OL in the 1st this year if we pick Top 10. I get that it is a need and it’s important but I’d much rather get an impact player on a position like WR or Edge which we suck at drafting and developing and we’d be much better served getting a blue chip prospect on those.

53 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

By no means do I want an OL in the 1st this year if we pick Top 10. I get that it is a need and it’s important but I’d much rather get an impact player on a position like WR or Edge which we suck at drafting and developing and we’d be much better served getting a blue chip prospect on those.

I mean if we are in position to take Sewell, you have to consider it.