USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

............ bruh

USSF is just a good old boy's club. None of these guys ever really face any repercussions. We've seen awful coaches like Richie Williams, Tab Ramos, John Hackworth, etc. fail upwards for years. The fact that we're going to lose a massive amount of $$$ because we missed the World Cup might be enough to spark some changes but even that is probably wishful thinking. And certainly none of the guys riding this gravy train - the Bruce Arena's of the world - are going to say anything to challenge the status quo. I appreciate that Twellman, etc. are angry right now, but it'd be nice if they actually steered the conversation towards some of the systemic issues rather than pretending this was just about one result or one excuse, etc. 

Reality is that there's a culture of mediocrity around US Soccer. Our benchmark league twists itself in pretzels creating new and incredibly dumb rules that set ourselves apart from the way things are done in literally every other country in the world, and it's all because MLS, and thus SUM, and thus USSF, are basically operating at the behest of a group of owners who don't really care about the sport and are mostly interested in making the rules as anti-competitive as possible so that they can spend as little as possible. Instead of domestic player markets that help spur investment in youth development, we get "General Allocation Money,' "Targeted Allocation Money,' "disvoery lists," "Home Grown Players," etc. etc. I try to go along with it as much as I can because at the end of the day I still enjoy live and local soccer, but truth be told the league is set up in incredibly dumb ways and it discredits the product. 

Give me pro/rel, give me real competition, give me a system where we reward success and punish failure. Short of that we're always going to fall well short of the vast potential this country has as a soccer nation. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

USSF is just a good old boy's club. None of these guys ever really face any repercussions. We've seen awful coaches like Richie Williams, Tab Ramos, John Hackworth, etc. fail upwards for years. The fact that we're going to lose a massive amount of $$$ because we missed the World Cup might be enough to spark some changes but even that is probably wishful thinking. And certainly none of the guys riding this gravy train - the Bruce Arena's of the world - are going to say anything to challenge the status quo. I appreciate that Twellman, etc. are angry right now, but it'd be nice if they actually steered the conversation towards some of the systemic issues rather than pretending this was just about one result or one excuse, etc. 

Reality is that there's a culture of mediocrity around US Soccer. Our benchmark league twists itself in pretzels creating new and incredibly dumb rules that set ourselves apart from the way things are done in literally every other country in the world, and it's all because MLS, and thus SUM, and thus USSF, are basically operating at the behest of a group of owners who don't really care about the sport and are mostly interested in making the rules as anti-competitive as possible so that they can spend as little as possible. Instead of domestic player markets that help spur investment in youth development, we get "General Allocation Money,' "Targeted Allocation Money,' "disvoery lists," "Home Grown Players," etc. etc. I try to go along with it as much as I can because at the end of the day I still enjoy live and local soccer, but truth be told the league is set up in incredibly dumb ways and it discredits the product. 

Give me pro/rel, give me real competition, give me a system where we reward success and punish failure. Short of that we're always going to fall well short of the vast potential this country has as a soccer nation. 

I can't see us ever moving to a relegation/promotion system.  And I don't have an issue with that.  It's not American, there is no way owners would risk their investment, etc.  That isn't why we suck.  Our youth system needs a complete overhaul.  The Academy has been a complete failure.  It has now been around for ten years and produced no one of any quality.  I don't count Pulisic, who played one year in the Academy.  But outside of him, we have had no one break through while investing a lot in improving youth soccer.  For me, some of the changes that need to be made:

1. Only professional teams have an Academy system: way too many Academy teams which dilutes the talent which hurts training sessions and makes games less competitive (stunts player development)

2. Force clubs to put their best coaches at the youngest age groups: all the top youth club coaches coach 11 v 11, there is no reason for that.  The best coaches should be coaching U8, U9, U10, etc. to increase technical ability.  You aren't going to become skilled at U16, U17, U18.  Right now you have parent dads coaching U8, U9, U10 (most important age groups) and have A licensed coaches coaching U16, U17, U18 (it is already well established at this point who the cream of the crop is, development is more tactical than technical)

3. Revamp licensing courses: the system now cares more about how good of a player you are, not how good of a coach you are (any coach should start at the D course like they do in Europe, not skip to A just because you played pro).  Take notes from Iceland's coaching revamp, has done wonders for them.

4. Remove pay to play-biggest issue there is.  Elite athletes, in any sport, come from the inner cities.  It is disgusting how many adults have made club soccer a career.  People realized how much money they can make off upper middle class families and took advantage of it.  There is no reason anyone should be paying $1500 for 3 months of soccer, this drives talented players away.

5. Improve scouting system.  Need to hire way more scouts, so many good players get over looked because of how big the country is and how many different leagues there are.  The current USMNT youth setup is completely political.

6. College soccer needs to move to year round.  3 months a year at 18-22 is disastrous.  Plenty of players in Europe break through at that age where we just fall further behind.

Even with the current system, failing to qualify is a complete embarrassment.  There are no excuses, heads should roll.  But the reality is we will never take the next step as a soccer country until we start targeting a different demographic player.  Spoiled upper middle class kids (which make up the majority of our soccer system) are never going to end up being top pro players.  They don't have the same drive and work ethic as someone who views sports as their way out. 

• Like 1

Just now, PAW said:

4. Remove pay to play-biggest issue there is.  Elite athletes, in any sport, come from the inner cities.  It is disgusting how many adults have made club soccer a career.  People realized how much money they can make off upper middle class families and took advantage of it.  There is no reason anyone should be paying $1500 for 3 months of soccer, this drives talented players away.

This is among everything else the biggest issue. And it's not an issue that can really be solved unless you create a system with efficient pathways towards clubs finding other methods of payment. Part of that is finally allowing solidarity payments to be paid out to youth clubs (which MLS and USSF are standing in the way of), but another part of that is creating a real domestic player market that allows teams to get value out of their investments. You're cutting off the most likely source of revenue by running everything through a closed single entity system that bars competition for player acquisition. I'm not saying pro/rel HAS to be a part of breaking that up because in reality the MLS could just do that themselves, but the purest form of that sort of competitive market certainly would be something resembling pro/rel. At the very least, as the MLS expands further and further, they really need to streamline/simplify their processes and create a more competitive domestic player market. And pro/rel at least between an MLS 1 and MLS 2 or something like should eventually be on the table. We need more games to be more meaningful. 

What will our team look like for the 2019 COPA America? Safe to say it will be Christian Pulisic, John Brooks, Deandre Yedlin, Jozy Altidore, Bobby Wood, Darlington Nagbe, and Julian Green. Probably safe to say Kellyn Acosta, Jordan Morris and a few other mainstays will be in the mix.

A lot can change in these 2 years (wow thats long) but who else can we expect to step up? I've seen names like McKennie, Miazaga, Carter-Vickers thrown out there as some of our youngsters. Do any of these players have a chance to be good?

9 hours ago, PAW said:

What exactly do you mean by this?  Do Americans need to pay $1500 to play club soccer?  If so, at what age/level do these fees start?

10 hours ago, kempus said:

Not qualifying from CONCACAF is frankly shocking and embarrassing. It's the weakest of the qualifying regions, imo.

Don’t even think it’s close to being just your opinion. Undoubtedly the weakest

edit - forgot about ofc

Edited by IrishGreen

29 minutes ago, drd23 said:

What exactly do you mean by this?  Do Americans need to pay $1500 to play club soccer?  If so, at what age/level do these fees start?

As soon as you start playing club soccer. It's actually a lot more when you take into account travel expenses. 

We have to pay clubs to play for them. They claim it's to pay coaches, pay for fields, pay for insurance, etc. yet they'll have people at the club making 6 figures. 

1 hour ago, Jetfan66 said:

What will our team look like for the 2019 COPA America? Safe to say it will be Christian Pulisic, John Brooks, Deandre Yedlin, Jozy Altidore, Bobby Wood, Darlington Nagbe, and Julian Green. Probably safe to say Kellyn Acosta, Jordan Morris and a few other mainstays will be in the mix.

A lot can change in these 2 years (wow thats long) but who else can we expect to step up? I've seen names like McKennie, Miazaga, Carter-Vickers thrown out there as some of our youngsters. Do any of these players have a chance to be good?

It's way too early to say, the only ones I feel confident will be part of the spine are Pulisic, Brooks, Yedlin, Wood. Maybe- Mckennie, Morris, Jozy, Nagbe, Acosta, Arriola, Tyler Adams. Josh Sargent is supposed to be really good

Think there's a few guys at Schalke

8 hours ago, PAW said:

As soon as you start playing club soccer. It's actually a lot more when you take into account travel expenses. 

We have to pay clubs to play for them. They claim it's to pay coaches, pay for fields, pay for insurance, etc. yet they'll have people at the club making 6 figures. 

Like in suburban leagues? O.o  If so, that is ridiculous

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Like in suburban leagues? O.o  If so, that is ridiculous

Its pretty much the speech Klinsmann made after the 2010 WC, - we have Inverted the pyramid. Our inner city kids are the minority. 

Many Brazilians learn how to play with a rolled up newspaper - we pay way to much. 

Think the part I'm still most baffled by is Arena. You expect him to come in and be level-headed/pragmatic with the squad we have considering his experience and the the criticisms of Klinsmann. Tactically we were just atrocious