NFL Suspends Josh Gordon Indefinitely (Again)

AFlaccoSeagulls

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So you think multiple pot violations is worth a lifetime ban but physically beating your wife isnt? That equates for you? You can keep saying this 'jaywalking' and rules are rules diatribe but at the end of the day different rule breaks have different consequences IN ALL THINGS. I have jay walked more times than Josh has gotten suspended for pot, maybe I should have a lifetime ban from walking on sidewalks... smh 

I think rules are rules for a company that has been clear for the last two decades that rules are rules. You brought up Ray Rice, not me. I challenge you to find where I said he should be allowed to play. Spoiler alert: you can’t.  I merely said the market disallows him from playing. 

I’ll put it like this. Let’s say I am a talented poster on Footballs Future. The best ever? No, but talented. Maybe my posts are such that Bleacher Report mentions them. Maybe PFF quotes me. I don’t know, I’m trying to draw a parallel. Maybe I’ve got 30 friends and I get them all to post here. Whatever it is, my presence assists in revenue a tiny bit, but not as much as other posters. 

But then, I violate the TOS.  Bad, but not too bad. I aim vulgarities at @ET80.  It’s enough to suspend me. But hey, I bring revenue to the site!  I did my time, I come back. This time I give it to @BlaqOptic something awful. Off I go again. But I’m still useful. Y’all allow me back. Immediately I tell @Uncle Buck how I really feel about him. Note, I haven’t done anything REALLY wrong, not “internet wrong,” but FF wrong. Y’all send me off again. 

Now, I’m not really that valuable anymore. Nothing I do makes the site money anymore. But now I come back and give @Troy Brown a piece of my mind. You’re all done with me. I’m gone forever. But then, you bring me back. For what?

Now, let’s come out of the dream. I’ve been on this site 15 years. Webby would’ve kissed me goodbye after one, maybe two of these scenarios if I’m lucky. The NFL has been equally strict. What does it matter if my antics would’ve been acceptable on Facebook, Reddit, or Twitter?  I broke the rules of FF half a dozen times. I should never be allowed back again. So why is Webby/Goodell bringing Me/Gordon back AGAIN?

52 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

A lifetime ban for violating the rules multiple times. So what if they’re stupid?  This could be for wearing red when you’re supposed to be wearing white. It’s still insubordination.   Let’s say one day the NFL wants to implement some new non-violent rule. How can they?  Gordon proves you don’t have to follow them. Rules are objective, meaning context is irrelevant. The NFL has  famously adhered to this. But then one guy came along and the NFL was all “you know what, our 110% adherence to rules was dumb. We’re going to give you another chance.”  And then this guy spit in their eye MULTIPLE TIMES. How come he’s special?

Not to mention the PED suspension. 

Right if you're a clean cut golden boy busted for multiple cheating scandals you get a 4 game suspension.   A brother who smokes trees?  Kick him out for life!!!!

Really???

Also the guy has an addiction issue and you phrase it like it's malicious.  Spitting in their eye.  That's a bit...dramatic.

Edited by Saint_James

15 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Please keep this thread to football so I don't have to lock it. Thanks.

All due respect, and I have a lot of it for you guys, but this is football related. I’m not arguing the merits of weed vs. violence or anything else. I’m talking objective consistency of a corporation. Go by solid guidelines or don’t, subjective context is irrelevant. 

Edited by EvilenFroggen

6 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

All due respect, and I have a lot of it for you guys, but this is football related. I’m not arguing the merits of weed vs. violence or anything else. I’m talking objective consistency of a corporation. Go by solid guidelines or don’t, subjective context is irrelevant. 

As long as you argue this angle over what the NFL's policy should be, should be fine.

I don't make the rules or agree with each, I merely enforce them. If you have any questions or concerns about forum policy, Webby is more than happy to answer in PM.

Thanks

Personally, I don't think there is much a person can do that should get him banned for life.  Unless a players goes OJ and murders people, or  other serious crimes such as rape, I just think everyone has a right to make a living.  The question comes down to how much that should affect a player's market value, but I've always been a big fan of letting the market decide that.  If I were a team owner, I wouldn't want to bring knuckleheads into my locker room, but there are other owners who don't have a problem with it.  It would be interesting to see a study on how successful players have been after being signed by a team when they have displayed serious behavioral issues.

• Like 2

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

As long as you argue this angle over what the NFL's policy should be, should be fine.

I don't make the rules or agree with each, I merely enforce them. If you have any questions or concerns about forum policy, Webby is more than happy to answer in PM.

I’m with you completely. The morals of the situation are not my concern. I obviously have an opinion, but it does not factor into my argument. The NFL and this site should operate the same way: by their stated rules. Thus far, FF is, the NFL in regards to Josh Gordon is not. It’s curious is all.

23 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I haven no idea how he keeps getting chances, but best of luck to him. Even when he was back on the field in SEA he looked like a shell of the former player from 2013

That's 7 years ago...  Longer then the NFL average career. I wish Gordon the best but his on field performance and ability likely is shot at this point. He wasn't a great route runner at any point and relied on pure physical talent. Expectations need to be dropped significantly if you think he is high value anymore.

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Not sure why people are so passionate about this. Yep, he's had struggles.

I'm sure he will help a little down the stretch and in the playoffs. He usually stays in good condition.

It's weird to me especially if you compare him to the guy with amazing talent who can't stay healthy.

I don't know how many times Josh Gordon has been caught relapsing, but there's no way he's been busted as many times as Sean Lee has had massive injuries. Yet, when Lee signs for a team it's "well, you never know if he can stay healthy but if he can that's a great deal", but with Gordon apparently we're all too afraid to say "well, you know never know if he can stay sober but if he can that's a great deal".

41 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So you think multiple pot violations is worth a lifetime ban but physically beating your wife isnt? That equates for you? You can keep saying this 'jaywalking' and rules are rules diatribe but at the end of the day different rule breaks have different consequences IN ALL THINGS. I have jay walked more times than Josh has gotten suspended for pot, maybe I should have a lifetime ban from walking on sidewalks... smh 

I hereby ban you from sidewalks, walk forever in the gutters ruffian.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's weird to me especially if you compare him to the guy with amazing talent who can't stay healthy.

I don't know how many times Josh Gordon has been caught relapsing, but there's no way he's been busted as many times as Sean Lee has had massive injuries. Yet, when Lee signs for a team it's "well, you never know if he can stay healthy but if he can that's a great deal", but with Gordon apparently we're all too afraid to say "well, you know never know if he can stay sober but if he can that's a great deal".

Probably because one is closer to a choice, depending on you stance on addiction, which we will rightfully not engage in here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Ricky Williams, Justin Blackmon, Justin Gilbert.  And these are just marijuana.  Not three marijuana suspensions, and a DUI suspension, and a PED suspension.  This is special treatment.

wut? I dont recall Blackmon or Gilbert but Williams came back...