2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

15 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Jeremy fowler says the colts are a sleeper team for Trent Williams... excuse me? Sleeper? 

I really like Fowler, I think he's a really good, reliable reporter. But yeah, thats kind of funny. Everyone has had Indy at the top for Trent Williams since the start. 

15 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I wouldn't put much stock into this. Akash isn't a reporter like that where he's breaking news. He's good for numbers and stats. I think he's basically just stating the obvious - we have limited cap room this year and we have to depress first year cap hits to sign guys, which means bigger signing bonuses and back loaded deals. I doubt Akash has any insider knowledge here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't put much stock into this. Akash isn't a reporter like that where he's breaking news. He's good for numbers and stats. I think he's basically just stating the obvious - we have limited cap room this year and we have to depress first year cap hits to sign guys, which means bigger signing bonuses and back loaded deals. I doubt Akash has any insider knowledge here. 

I thought we have $32 million in cap space now?

Just now, 49ersfan said:

I thought we have $32 million in cap space now?

9 will be taken up by rookies. That didn't include emans deal yet (I'd assume a cap hit if like 2.5 in year one) and you have to keep money on tap for in season transactions (last year was 10 million that we used in season)

1 minute ago, Forge said:

9 will be taken up by rookies. That didn't include emans deal yet (I'd assume a cap hit if like 2.5 in year one) and you have to keep money on tap for in season transactions (last year was 10 million that we used in season)

Hmm, so lets say 11.5 for rookies & mosley. I'd budget 5 for inseason trasnactions, last year was crazy due to the sheer amount of injuries. So if we have 15.5 to play with thats still a lot. I believe our $32 mil was top 10 in the league in cap space so looks like we're in good shape this season

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Hmm, so lets say 11.5 for rookies & mosley. I'd budget 5 for inseason trasnactions, last year was crazy due to the sheer amount of injuries. So if we have 15.5 to play with thats still a lot. I believe our $32 mil was top 10 in the league in cap space so looks like we're in good shape this season

That's not a lot though. If you're resigning Trent, it's over half gone immediately, and that's probably the best you can do (8 million). Likely it's coming in higher. 

Looking at cap space in a vacuum isn't always beneficial because not everyone is trying to sign a 20 million dollar tackle and not everyone has important free agents. If you have 8 million in space but no priority free agents, you're in better shape than we are in now trying to replace a fullback, center, tackle, multiple corners, a safety, wr and backup qb.

Expect more money management (restructure of Dee springs to mind when he fails his physical)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's not a lot though. If you're resigning Trent, it's over half gone immediately, and that's probably the best you can do (8 million). Likely it's coming in higher. 

Looking at cap space in a vacuum isn't always beneficial because not everyone is trying to sign a 20 million dollar tackle and not everyone has important free agents. If you have 8 million in space but no priority free agents, you're in better shape than we are in now trying to replace a fullback, center, tackle, multiple corners, a safety, wr and backup qb.

Expect more money management (restructure of Dee springs to mind when he fails his physical)

And we also have to give Warner an extension

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

Maiocco predicts Kyle Jusczcyk, Trent Williams and Jason Varrett are re-signed. 

Based on tweets, I'd say that is probably likely. The biggest question is how cheap can we get Trent in the first year. That's going to say a lot about how we proceed in this off season. I'm really hoping he'll take under market to stay. I'd never count on it, but it really would help a lot if he's not looking for 20-23 million a season. 

Maybe we give him a deal now where the first year cap hit is like 5 million but we give him a 20 million signing bonus so he gets a check up front with the promise that we will restructure his deal to give him more money next year lol 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Based on tweets, I'd say that is probably likely. The biggest question is how cheap can we get Trent in the first year. That's going to say a lot about how we proceed in this off season. I'm really hoping he'll take under market to stay. I'd never count on it, but it really would help a lot if he's not looking for 20-23 million a season. 

Maybe we give him a deal now where the first year cap hit is like 5 million but we give him a 20 million signing bonus so he gets a check up front with the promise that we will restructure his deal to give him more money next year lol 

From the Sherm podcast he said he wants a 4 year deal. So they could work in there like that very easily.

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Good point. Lets see how it shakes out. Thankfully we have a lot of draft picks to address needs as well

Rap is clearly the reporter most plugged in with the Niners, even more so than Schefty. Of course, not counting local guys like Maiocco. 

But I think Williams gets done and possibly Juice, but not sure Verrett's does before the start of free agency. 

Honestly though, don't really care too much about this. Mostly expected. What I'm interested in seeing is which bargain free agents they can bring in and if they can upgrade the C position and if they can retain Hyder or sign another solid edge rusher. 

Would you guys rather sign Verrett or Hayward? 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Would you guys rather sign Verrett or Hayward? 

This is a really tough call. I think at his best, at this point of their careers, JV's best >>>>> hayward's best. But JV also far more likely to miss multiple games