Passing on Justin Jefferson causing rift in Philly FO?

Beavis

On 12/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, 43M said:

As @minutemancl stated, this is all about losing. If the Eagles were winning, this would largely be a non issue.  

And with the way Wentz is playing....would it matter who they took at WR?    I doubt any WR would be looking good with the Eagles this year.

Also with the way Doug is coaching, and calling plays too. Doug is issue #1 and no one will convince me otherwise. Carson is 2nd, but there's still a possibility a fresh mind will be able to fix him.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Also with the way Doug is coaching, and calling plays too. Doug is issue #1 and no one will convince me otherwise. Carson is 2nd, but there's still a possibility a fresh mind will be able to fix him.

I wont disagree.   You watch the Eagles a lot more than me, but Wentz has fallen so far, I cant see how the Eagles dont draft a QB if they get the chance....or give Jalen Hurts an opportunity.

But maybe a few changes could help Wentz, even with a different team.   He has shown the ability to be good in the past.

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

I wont disagree.   You watch the Eagles a lot more than me, but Wentz has fallen so far, I cant see how the Eagles dont draft a QB if they get the chance....or give Jalen Hurts an opportunity.

But maybe a few changes could help Wentz, even with a different team.   He has shown the ability to be good in the past.

We have him for next year no matter what.

We hire a new offensive minded hc and see if he can fix wentz, if not we can try Hurts and he doesn't work either then the new coach can draft his QB of choice in 2022

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

We hire a new offensive minded hc and see if he can fix wentz, if not we can try Hurts and he doesn't work either then the new coach can draft his QB of choice in 2022

So you kept him over Foles and paid him all that money because you invested so much draft capital in getting him, and now you can't start Hurts because you owe Wentz all this money? Do you not see a problem here? Eagles went from a good team to a bad team over this set of dominoes falling over.

I also think the neurology of career backup QB and now Head Coach Doug Pederson is coming into play. He's mentally set on Hurts as the backup like he was his whole mediocre career. He can't bring himself to just give the kid a shot, cuz he never got one. He's also for some goofy reason praising Wentz for being vulnerable this week while the dude hasntt been able to hit the backside of a barn. The whole thing just feels like a mess slowly getting out of hand. Admitting you suck to your team might earn you their respect on a personal, human level but it is not going to make them actually respect you once you step out on that football field.

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'd just trade him this off season for whatever you can get for him. I don't think he can fix himself in Philly because this team probably is what it is for the next year or two. We all already know how this is going to play out. Pederson will also probably be back. The team is bad and has no real avenue to improve next year, so giving him that "one last year" does nothing for anyone. I find the odds that he gets better than what he this year, in what is likely a similar situation, is extremely low. The eagles are way over the cap (best case scenario right now is that they are 50 million over using a 190 cap limit for 2021 with 25M in roll over), the structure of their outstanding contracts is horrific (lots of ghost years with big bonuses). I do not know where they get better, and honestly, they'll probably have to use measures such as june 1 cuts that end up hitting the eagles in 2022 as well. I just really feel like there is no fair shot for him to correct whatever the hell this is staying with the status quo. It's like he's being set up to fail, and the Eagles are just hurting themselves in the long run. 

Indy has the money, the need, and a personal relationship within the organization with Wentz. 

@Kirill is right - the dead money is a sunk cost at this point. There's no real reason to make it worse. You guys save a million with the trade plus remove the 2022; take the 34 dead money on the chin for one year, start Hurts to see what you have. If you suck, you immediately are in a position to get your real QBotF because the team was probably going to be bad anyway, and if Hurts isn't the guy, you're probably going to be downright dreadful. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'd just trade him this off season for whatever you can get for him. I don't think he can fix himself in Philly because this team probably is what it is for the next year or two. We all already know how this is going to play out. Pederson will also probably be back. The team is bad and has no real avenue to improve next year, so giving him that "one last year" does nothing for anyone. I find the odds that he gets better than what he this year, in what is likely a similar situation, is extremely low. The eagles are way over the cap (best case scenario right now is that they are 50 million over using a 190 cap limit for 2021 with 25M in roll over), the structure of their outstanding contracts is horrific (lots of ghost years with big bonuses). I do not know where they get better, and honestly, they'll probably have to use measures such as june 1 cuts that end up hitting the eagles in 2022 as well. I just really feel like there is no fair shot for him to correct whatever the hell this is staying with the status quo. It's like he's being set up to fail, and the Eagles are just hurting themselves in the long run. 

Indy has the money, the need, and a personal relationship within the organization with Wentz. 

@Kirill is right - the dead money is a sunk cost at this point. There's no real reason to make it worse. You guys save a million with the trade plus remove the 2022; take the 34 dead money on the chin for one year, start Hurts to see what you have. If you suck, you immediately are in a position to get your real QBotF because the team was probably going to be bad anyway, and if Hurts isn't the guy, you're probably going to be downright dreadful. 

Dead money is an overrated stat. The problem is cutting him next year actually costs us cap space when we are way over already. We literally can't cut or trade him. We save a little bit by cutting him in 2022

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Dead money is an overrated stat. The problem is cutting him next year actually costs us cap space when we are way over already. We literally can't cut or trade him. We save a little bit by cutting him in 2022

You don't cut him. You can only trade him. You save about a million for trading him....

and most importantly, by trading him, you keep that partial guarantee of 15 Million from vesting against your 2022 salary cap and whomever trades for him will take it since it vests in 2021. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:28 AM, minutemancl said:

The rift is not Justin Jefferson, it is losing. When you are losing like the Eagles are, where there is plenty of blame to pass around in multiple areas, you start questioning everything, including things like this. Bottom line is that it is way too early to make a judgement on whether Reagor is a bust or Jefferson was the better pick. In year one, absolutely Jefferson is playing way better than Reagor. But we've seen tides shift before on matters like this, and who knows what the future holds for both of these guys.

This conversation is just a side effect of the Eagles losing.

Howie Roseman is a bad drafter the problem has been the past few years he's also been bad at everything else. Hell even our big ticket FA singing this past year has been a disaster.  Hargrave has been trash. 

So now that Howie is bad at everything people are coming around on him being unable to draft talent. So that is that leads to the issue.