The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

4 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Interesting how many 2020 teams recorded the worse defensive performances ever 

Im not arguing that scoring is not going up across the league. 

Im arguing that giving up 28.4+ point/ game is a recipe for losing football games. 

Take our record out of it, and the other 5 teams from this season on that list averaged 4.2W. We got 8, almost double. 

• Like 1

From that list of 50, the average amount of wins is 3.5 / Season. 

So theoretically, our O/U on wins in 2018 was 3.5 based off how many points we gave up. We were over. 
4-12 is absolute trash. . . not arguing against that. 

edited in. . 
In Carrs Rookie season we gave up 28.25 ppg.
we went 3-13
so below the average / but rookie season and other excuses for sure, but probably about where a team giving up that many points ranks on average. 
So carrs two garbage year by W/L - going on stats based of W of teams with similar Ds, its fairly average. 
--
But when taking into account how bad our D was that year, we statistical did better than expected. 

This is why only looking at QB records is misleading. If you have a bad D, you are going to lose more. 

Edited by BackinBlack

44 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

i have no problem saying our D played well that game. 
although i seem to remember some big drops by Cle on 3rd down. 

but in a crazy weather conditioned game, Carr I think played pretty well. and had a few runs on 3rd down for the first. 
8/14 on 3rd 2/2 on 4th 
we had 71 plays on O and 37 mins time of possession. 

Id say that was a team win. 

That was the #WindBowl. I give Carr his fair criticism and I will also give the D fair criticism. For three weeks in a row the city of Cleveland was experiencing winds/gusts that made football impossible. During those three weeks, Cleveland lost to the Raiders 16-6, had a bye week, and beat Houston 10-7. I don't really give our defense much credit for that game. Our best defensive performance was easily vs Denver, and they played well against Miami besides that final drive.

• Like 1

Raiders Points Allowed Per Game & record;
2014 - 28.25 - 3&13
2015 - 24.9 - 7&9
2016 - 24.2 - 12&3
2017 - 23.3 - 6&9
2018 - 29.2 - 4&12
2019 - 26.2 - 7&9
2020 - 29.9 - 8&8

A middle of the pack D is typicaly around 23ppg. in 2017, we were 20th in points allowed. 
Giving up as many points as we have over Carrs career, you would require a HOF QB to be a consistent playoff team. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

So theoretically, our O/U on wins in 2018 was 3.5 based off how many points we gave up. We were over. 

edited in. . 
we went 3-13
so below the average / but rookie season and other excuses for sure, but probably about where a team giving up that many points ranks on average. 
So carrs two garbage year by W/L - going on stats based of W of teams with similar Ds, its fairly average. 
--
But when taking into account how bad our D was that year, we statistical did better than expected. 

This is why only looking at QB records is misleading. If you have a bad D, you are going to lose more. 

Are you including pick6’s and fumbles etc that the defense had nothing to do with

9 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

2014 - 28.25 - 3&13
2015 - 24.9 - 7&9
2016 - 24.2 - 12&3
2017 - 23.3 - 6&9
2018 - 29.2 - 4&12
2019 - 26.2 - 7&9
2020 - 29.9 - 8&8

A middle of the pack D is typicaly around 23ppg. in 2017, we were 20th in points allowed. 
Giving up as many points as we have over Carrs career, you would require a HOF QB to be a consistent playoff team. 

Hmmm best defense was 2017 and we still we 6-9 hmmm

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Are you including pick6’s and fumbles etc that the defense had nothing to do with

LOL nope. feel free to put that together and show me the data to make your point.
Im sure every team on that list had fumbles and pick 6s. Some probably even more than us. 

For now, Im going off the info I have.. . and that data shows, you dont consistently win games giving up 28.4 ppg.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

edited in. . 
we went 3-13
--

bro, they aint trying to hear the facts. Carr sucks get over it! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

LOL nope. feel free to put that together and show me the data to make your point.
Im sure every team on that list had fumbles and pick 6s. Some probably even more than us. 

For now, Im going off the info I have.. . and that data shows, you dont consistently win games giving up 28.4 ppg.

No qb fumbles more than carr lol come on keep it real 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

2014 - 28.25 - 3&13
2015 - 24.9 - 7&9
2016 - 24.2 - 12&3
2017 - 23.3 - 6&9
2018 - 29.2 - 4&12
2019 - 26.2 - 7&9
2020 - 29.9 - 8&8

And look at where we spent our money the majority of those years.

2017 2nd in league in O spending. 2018 2nd in league in O spending.

2019 6th In league in O spending

2020 2nd in league in O spending.

When you are consistently that lopsided in spending, are you really surprised the defense has been trash.

Truth is, Carr has been given more help and a longer leash than a majority of QBs with little to show for. His biggest claim to fame in 7 years was a empty stadium win in October vs the Chiefs. But let's continue to paint him as a victim.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

No qb fumbles more than carr lol come on keep it real 

Sure ill give you that on a sack to fumble %, but you said fumble and pick 6s, so id bet theyd average out. I feel like pick 6s are more common than a fumble for 6 (could be wrong). 
then on top of that we keep Carr relatively clean, so he is sacked less.