Is Joe Judge A Legit COTY Candidate?

titwio

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

Are the Giants going to be 9-7? I'm not giving COTY to a losing team playing in potentially a historically bad division. Even if he made 9-7, he'd still be in a dog fight for the award based on the job others have done. 

The Giants were in a dead heat with the Jets for Trevor Lawrence at the midpoint of the season at 1-7.  So if they finish 9-7, that would mean finishing the season on a 8 game win streak.  I would say that turnaround would be worthy of a COTY award. 

More realistically, they'll probably finish at 7-9 though.  Still a pretty good turnaround.

7 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The Giants were in a dead heat with the Jets for Trevor Lawrence at the midpoint of the season at 1-7.  So if they finish 9-7, that would mean finishing the season on a 8 game win streak.  I would say that turnaround would be worthy of a COTY award. 

I didn't say he wouldn't be worthy of it, and wouldn't have any problem with him getting real consideration for it. But there would still be others worthy of it as well, and as I said, he'd be in a dogfight for that award even at 9-7. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't say he wouldn't be worthy of it, and wouldn't have any problem with him getting real consideration for it. But there would still be others worthy of it as well, and as I said, he'd be in a dogfight for that award even at 9-7. 

I get it.  There are coaches that have done a good job.   I feel like the COTY should go to the most impressive coaching job.  And while there will be many coaches with more wins, I don't think anything would be more impressive than turning a 1-7 team into a 9-7 team.   That would be amazing for any coach, let alone a rookie head coach.  But again, we're counting our chickens before they hatch here.

Guys like Payton/Tomlin are known commodities so I think they have to do a little extra in order to win any awards. Homer alert but unless the Steelers go undefeated this award will go to Stefanski. 

I think the Browns winning 11 or 12 games the league will view as a more impressive accomplishment than the Steelers winning 15 given the recent history of each team.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I get it.  There are coaches that have done a good job.   I feel like the COTY should go to the most impressive coaching job.  And while there will be many coaches with more wins, I don't think anything would be more impressive than turning a 1-7 team into a 9-7 team.   That would be amazing for any coach, let alone a rookie head coach.  But again, we're counting our chickens before they hatch here.

For sure. Like @minutemancl said, its comparable to the Brian Flores situation last year. I think the main focus should be that I think the Giants should feel very good about their coaching hire. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I don't think anything would be more impressive than turning a 1-7 team into a 9-7 team.   

...he coached that team at 1-7, though. It’s not like he took over a 1-7 team, Judge started at 0-0. You don’t get bonus points for being bad and then good vs just being good the whole time. 

Not downplaying the recent stretch, just talking within the realm of COTY.

Stefanski is going to win, but yeah I'd say he's a candidate if he can go on and win the division. Flores, Tomlin, are ahead of Judge right now however, and if Belichik can take this Patriots team to the playoffs he might win. But man after taking a team to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years you have to win COTY.