Is Joe Judge A Legit COTY Candidate?

titwio

His team needs to win out to go 9-7. They have to play the Ravens, Browns, and Cardinals. I think it's very doubtful they go 3-0 on that stretch. The team will likely be somewhere between 6-7 and 8-8. There's no way a coach without a winning record gets that award. In fact, I'd argue the fact that since only 2 of their wins are outside the NFC East, that there's no way he gets consideration. They beat 3 teams in an absolutely historically bad division and the 2nd or 3rd worst team in football in the Bengals. They have one win that is even worth bragging about and even there they are tied for least points that a team put up against them in the season. 

Right now? Not a chance. They are 5-7 and beat 1 good team. There are much better candidates out there. He deserves props for turning around a dumpster fire franchise into a team that has been highly competitive in the matter of 1 offseason, which didn't see that much roster turnover, but COTY? No way.

However, if they go 8-8 or 9-7? Which would entail beating at least 2 out of the Browns, Ravens and Cardinals? I think then he is worthy of votes, and has a chance, but I still would doubt outright winning with so few wins.

1 hour ago, titwio said:

All other posts were totally fine,  His was a tad bitter. 

Meh. Your response was bitter. His post was a little hyperbolic - Judge has a better case than a guy he mentioned like Arians - but it’s not like it had anything to do with Flores (who has a better argument than Judge IMO). If the season ended today, I don’t think Judge gets votes. If the Giants win out, it’d make things interesting, maybe. But would also require an absolute collapse from multiple winning teams.

As a Giants fan it certainly seems so at this point, but the real answer is no.  IF they win out and finish 9-7 I think he's either the #1 or #2 choice but that's a big IF.  That would mean they finish 8-0 over the last half of the season, have beaten several good teams along the way and beaten the cowboys and eagles who they haven't beaten in years (I don't care that those teams suck this year.)  This was a team that on paper was absolute garbage, especially on the Oline, which has started to come together.  Their defense has managed to look good when at the start of the season they probably would be ranked bottom 5th on paper.  New coaching staff, lots of young players, covid affected training camp and no preseason so it makes sense that they would start slow.

But again, the answer right now is no.  It just feels good to have finally beaten the Eagles, play meaningful football in December, and be able to beat an actual football team, not just the football team.

No.

Gotta give it to Payton this year.  Just locked up the first #1-seed playoff spot and I can't think of any other team that's had such adversary for so many games and he just keeps scheming ways to win. 

Joe Judge is doing a great job but he hasn't been coach all season so I don't believe he would get the nod for COTY.

To all the people saying Stefanski, the Giants face the Browns in three weeks.  What IF the Giants pull off another upset and win that game?

I honestly couldn't care less about the award, but like I said in a previous thread, Joe Judge seems like the real deal.  After a few quieter more reserved HCs, the Giants found a guy that is a real leader.  He's kept this team fighting when it could have gone down hill really quickly at 1-7.  In addition to being a good leader, he's also a great educator and knows how to get the most out of his players.  He wasn't a big name Belicheck disciple like Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia, but I think he's going to be one of the few good ones from that tree.  Glad the Giants took a chance on him as opposed to a re-tread.

Stefanski is easily my COTY right now, followed by Sean Payton (undefeated with a backup QB) and then perhaps even Kyle Shanahan for the job he's done with the 49ers despite being just obliterated with injuries.

However, there's still too many chips left to fall to truly call it. I would put Judge as a "candidate" right now, maybe in the top 7 or so, but nothing more.

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

To all the people saying Stefanski, the Giants face the Browns in three weeks.  What IF the Giants pull off another upset and win that game?

Are the Giants going to be 9-7? I'm not giving COTY to a losing team playing in potentially a historically bad division. Even if he made 9-7, he'd still be in a dog fight for the award based on the job others have done. 

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean....the Giants have 4 wins? I get that they lost Barkley and a couple guys to opt outs but, being the HC of a team that will likely win their division without having a winning record in no way shape or form impresses me nor does it suggest he is even remotely a COTY candidate 

5 wins currently.

I am by no means claiming him COTY, but some of these posts are underrating the job he has done so far. Sure, the division is trash, but this was a team we all started getting visions of Trevor Lawrence early on.

Rookie HC, COVID, a QB who has not played well, lost best offensive player, just won a tough game against SEA with Colt McCoy, etc.