Raiders fire DC Paul Guenther; Rod Marinelli named interim DC

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Wow... pretty rare to fire the guy day-of lol

They play on Thursday, so they didn't have time to wait another day. 

Tomorrow is usually a day they start doing install. Better to do it today so marienelli can design his own gameplan 

I have no idea what to expect with Rod M. Can any fan of a team he's been DC shed some light on what he does? For being a D-line guru our line has taken a step back tbh. I am not expecting much but after 3 years of brutal D's we needed to make a change regardless. Our D has let the playoffs slip away and that's unacceptable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I have no idea what to expect with Rod M. Can any fan of a team he's been DC shed some light on what he does? For being a D-line guru our line has taken a step back tbh. I am not expecting much but after 3 years of brutal D's we needed to make a change regardless. Our D has let the playoffs slip away and that's unacceptable. 

He's a Tony Dungy/Monte Kiffin disciple and runs that basic Tampa 2 scheme...    He was pretty good in Dallas  after he took over Monte Kiffins spot which was his last stop.   I don't remember how "good" they were but he had Jaylon Smith and LVE humming.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sryan66611 said:

He's a Tony Dungy/Monte Kiffin disciple and runs that basic Tampa 2 scheme...    He was pretty good in Dallas  after he took over Monte Kiffins spot which was his last stop.   I don't remember how "good" they were but he had Jaylon Smith and LVE humming.

Good info, thanks. He's 71 years old so won't be the long-term DC by any means. But would be cool to see the D resemble something competent and show our front office who should be back or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sryan66611 said:

He didnt run Tampa 2 here after Kiffen left. He was pretty vanilla. His strength was teaching the concepts so that you didnt need exotic blitzes. We were fundamentally sound and had people in the right spot. 

I thought he did pretty well considering we didnt have a ton of talent on D. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I don't want him either, but three games as an interim isn't changing anything.  It might also help settle the locker room

I doubt it. If anything it will unsettle things further to end the year, in my opinion. 

I don’t think Anarumo’s coaching has been that bad. Though he probably needs replacing.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I doubt it. If anything it will unsettle things further to end the year, in my opinion. 

I don’t think Anarumo’s coaching has been that bad. Though he probably needs replacing.

He demoted the veterans that questioned him.  That's childish as h3ll.  He has lost all of the veterans.  Every. Single. One

his schemes have been up and down, but he is too old school in his approach with players.  It's his way or the highway.  Frankly the highway sounds like a good place for him to go play.