The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Takk signing itself wasn't a massive blunder. You're 100% correct about a GM leaving no stone unturned when our talent level sucks. 

That being said, I do think that it's a compounding blunder in that our talent level sucks because Mayock doesn't seem to know talent or value, hence the need to sign a Takk in the first place. It was likely a wasted signing, which happens from time to time with any GM.

But the fact we signed him, yet were still starting Leavitt at S despite (an admittedly potentially problematic) Earl Thomas being a FA kind of lessens the impact of the no stone unturned argument. We had glaring, season long holes at numerous positions. Mayock only deemed it necessary to throw spitballs at one, while totally ignoring the others. 

The fact Earl Thomas is a FA should tell you all you need to know. One of the most respected defenses in the league found him to be a terrible personality in their locker room. Teammates were glad to see him go. There's being desperate for talent... and being foolish. I commend the Raiders for not being foolish.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Aaron Glenn is great potential coach. As is Ryan Nielson

The bigger question is, will Gruden go outside his guys to find a new DC. I personally hope he does

I always had friends who’d ask me to get them A job and I’d straight tell them: “listen I don’t cross work and friends.... I’ll help ya get a job ... but not With me” because I know I need to be able to be “the boss” and be hard (but respectful) to my workers.  

Gruden Gave PG a pass for nearly 2 Seasons because they were friends.  He’s gotta be feeling some Degree of heat on him.  Maybe he’ll decide to play this hire a little differently.

if he Hires Glenn/Nielsen he had the ability to demand results or their gone.... he’s removed that emotional Attachment.  He’s not driving into work with either one at 3am and isn’t having family dinners with their families.  It’s just human nature to not want to pulL the trigger on firing someone you know like that.... heck Gruden couldn’t even hold him accountable on a game to game basis.

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Takk signing itself wasn't a massive blunder. You're 100% correct about a GM leaving no stone unturned when our talent level sucks. 

That being said, I do think that it's a compounding blunder in that our talent level sucks because Mayock doesn't seem to know talent or value, hence the need to sign a Takk in the first place. It was likely a wasted signing, which happens from time to time with any GM.

But the fact we signed him, yet were still starting Leavitt at S despite (an admittedly potentially problematic) Earl Thomas being a FA kind of lessens the impact of the no stone unturned argument. We had glaring, season long holes at numerous positions. Mayock only deemed it necessary to throw spitballs at one, while totally ignoring the others. 

Spot on.  Damn I forgot to rebuttal with the Leavitt thing (I was working while responding)....

The fact we actually allowed Leavitt to make the 53 MaN roster is bad enough.... but to Go into a game with him playing Safety let alone starting is pure Insanity.

Again.... I’d be okay with the Takk deaL not working out in a bubble.... but it’s the pattern of many small bad choices and cap spending..... a trend is occurring and it’s not Good.

56 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The fact Earl Thomas is a FA should tell you all you need to know. One of the most respected defenses in the league found him to be a terrible personality in their locker room. Teammates were glad to see him go. There's being desperate for talent... and being foolish. I commend the Raiders for not being foolish.

Your right about ET.... I want nothing to do with him.

But Eric Reid, HaHa-Dix are still available and were back in TC when Leavitt was the 5th S in TC .... and then Leavitt was the 4th S on the active roster when Randall was released..... then Heath went onto IR and Leavitt was the 3rd Safety.... and then Harris went on Covid list and Leavitts starting....

And to be quite honest Mayock made Mistake signing Randall.  The only reason that moved happened is because the Apple deal fell through and he rushed!!!! to make another FA acquisition.  

and all this time Karl Joseph could have been resigned for just above the league minimum (If we used the new cap credits on Joseph- something we didn’t use on anyone).  Now Joseph is certainly flawed but if he costs near the league minimum it’s a good deal.

my Point being there’s a real long pattern or string of interconnected poor choices going on here.... and Mayock needs to get his act together or gets fired.  I think he’ll be able to fix things in the end though.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Expected Morris and Williams

Joe Barry is the son in law of Rod Marinelli

I don't see Davis paying a guy like Morris or anyone reputable. 

Now Joe Barry, this is exactly the type guy I expect to be hired. A cheap, Gruden yes man that doesn't move the needle when they need a complete overhaul.

Barry would be such a predictable hire.

I truly hope they invest in a legit DC and overhaul the entire staff. rebuild from the ground up under the right teachers. A Joe Barry would be the equivalent of putting a band aid on an axe would. 

37 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Expected Morris and Williams

Joe Barry is the son in law of Rod 

We do not want joe Barry. He is another gruden grinder circle guy. He has been with mcvay for the last few years and didn't get promoted when wade was fired. No to joe Barry for Me

Edited by dante9876

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't see Davis paying a guy like Morris or anyone reputable. 

Now Joe Barry, this is exactly the type guy I expect to be hired. A cheap, Gruden yes man that doesn't move the needle when they need a complete overhaul.

Barry would be such a predictable hire.

I truly hope they invest in a legit DC and overhaul the entire staff. rebuild from the ground up under the right teachers. A Joe Barry would be the equivalent of putting a band aid on an axe would. 

It would be an awful hire. He was fired by his little brother. Ugh. 

Edited by dante9876

3 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

It would be an awful hire. He was fired by his little brother. Ugh. 

He was the DC for the 0-16 Lions before that with his Father in law. Can you imagine a worse hire for fans looking for hope? Let's just hope it's LaConfora being terrible per usual. 

Maybe I’m a little more optimistic when it comes to the DC. I think with how bad things were this year on that side of the ball will force Gruden to make major changes on that side of the ball. Seeing Joe Barry name is not encouraging but at the same time it’s just a report. 

20 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Maybe I’m a little more optimistic when it comes to the DC. I think with how bad things were this year on that side of the ball will force Gruden to make major changes on that side of the ball. Seeing Joe Barry name is not encouraging but at the same time it’s just a report. 

Has to right? How can you watch that defense and think anything other than I need to hit a home run.

That said, he's made a lot of excuses regarding injuries and covid the last half the season. And I also don't trust Gruden when it comes to the defense. 

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Has to right? How can you watch that defense and think anything other than I need to hit a home run.

That said, he's made a lot of excuses regarding injuries and covid the last half the season. And I also don't trust Gruden when it comes to the defense. 

If those 16 games he watched don’t force him to make major changes then nothing will. Big off-season for Gruden.