The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

@jimkelly02 Can you list the Top 2 or 3 guys you want? I have my Top 4 listed. 

I understand wanting a young guy to pair with the remainder of Grudens contract, and grow with the defense for multiple years. That is a very understandable view point. 

However, this team has been striking out with those young unproven hires for a long time. Last time it worked was Gruden’s first go around. Dennis Allen, Todd Downing, Ken Norton Jr., I mean these are all recent failures. And while PG isn’t “young”, he never had an Elite Defense in Cincy. He had good defenses, but not great. 

I personally want someone experienced who has had a Top 5 Defense multiple times in their career, or at least Top 10. Being able to develop secondary talent is also a nice bonus like Morris and Richard. 

Another reason I want someone experienced is because this defense has been Bottom 5 in the league for literally a decade. An unproven guy is not gonna be able to clean this up. 

Edited by BayRaider

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Takk was a mistake to sign.... it was just another blunder by Mayock... IMO. It wasn’t a massive blunder but it was a blunder none the less. How many teams claimed him and then realized he wasn’t going to play this year? 2! we signed him Nov 23rd  (day one of week 12).  I’d really like to know what we believed the chances of him playing  6,5,4,3,2,1 games were?  If I remember correctly he was only POSSIBLY available for 1-2 games.   Why pay him 655k and not carry that cap space over to ‘21?  It’s not a ton of money but it’s a trend of wasting a little bit of cap space here and there, over and over.  If you want to take a chance on Takk then sign him to the PS once he clears waivers.... and if he doesn’t oh well.

Signing a pass rusher who once was seen as having first round talent on a rookie deal is hardly a blunder. It's the GM recognizing their talent sucks and leaving no stone unturned. 

I don't care who you sign as DC. If the team does not address major voids in their talent base, the DC will not be successful.

There is not a single player on defense that an argument can't be made you can replace.

Some of you are acting like a new DC will come and transform this team. There is a reason they've been terrible on defense for 18 years. They never identify and develop talent properly.

They need a DC who can teach first and foremost. Second, can install a system that they can begin drafting talent into consistently for a few years to start and change a culture of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Signing a pass rusher who once was seen as having first round talent on a rookie deal is hardly a blunder. It's the GM recognizing their talent sucks and leaving no stone unturned. 

The Takk signing itself wasn't a massive blunder. You're 100% correct about a GM leaving no stone unturned when our talent level sucks. 

That being said, I do think that it's a compounding blunder in that our talent level sucks because Mayock doesn't seem to know talent or value, hence the need to sign a Takk in the first place. It was likely a wasted signing, which happens from time to time with any GM.

But the fact we signed him, yet were still starting Leavitt at S despite (an admittedly potentially problematic) Earl Thomas being a FA kind of lessens the impact of the no stone unturned argument. We had glaring, season long holes at numerous positions. Mayock only deemed it necessary to throw spitballs at one, while totally ignoring the others. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

They need a DC who can teach first and foremost. Second, can install a system that they can begin drafting talent into consistently for a few years to start and change a culture of mediocrity. 

Yup. At the end of the day talent wins games but coaching still makes a huge impact and we need a DC with a proven track record of developing young talent. Which is again why I am all in on the Kris Richard train who helped develop the LOB and took Byron Jones from an average FS to one of the best CB in football. 

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

@jimkelly02 Can you list the Top 2 or 3 guys you want? I have my Top 4 listed. 

I understand wanting a young guy to pair with the remainder of Grudens contract, and grow with the defense for multiple years. That is a very understandable view point. 

However, this team has been striking out with those young unproven hires for a long time. Last time it worked was Gruden’s first go around. Dennis Allen, Todd Downing, Ken Norton Jr., I mean these are all recent failures. And while PG isn’t “young”, he never had an Elite Defense in Cincy. He had good defenses, but not great. 

I personally want someone experienced who has had a Top 5 Defense multiple times in their career, or at least Top 10. Being able to develop secondary talent is also a nice bonus like Morris and Richard. 

Another reason I want someone experienced is because this defense has been Bottom 5 in the league for literally a decade. An unproven guy is not gonna be able to clean this up. 

I want a young coach but not for the reasons you listed, although I agree with them and would add them to my reasoning.

I’m tired of us hiring (as well as seeing it happen throughout the league) what I call “retread” DCs.

These are coordinators (like PG, albeit PG barely had the past success to qualify as a “has been” cuz he’s really a “never was”) who had some degree of success but then gradually it tapers off and they get fired then get hired by a new team.  What happens is these guys come up as a position coach under a successful DC with a good scheme.  Then they get a DC job and take the scheme with them.  They often have success for the first few years but it gradually tapers off.  This is because the scheme has been figured out and exploited by young, innovative OCs. Offensive schemes are advancing at a crazy pace right now.  If a DC is running a scheme they learned 5-7 years ago and one that wasn’t successful (and becoming less successful every passing year) 1-3 years ago with their last team because the Scheme has been figured out and exploited.... and the coach didn’t change and grow the scheme to keep up with offenses..... how can we believe it will Work for us?

I think Gus Bradley is one of those retread DCs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boltsfromtheblue.com/platform/amp/2017/5/30/15714574/jalen-ramsey-gus-bradley-chargers-jaguars-defense

• these retread coaches always have the same mindset when issues arise: it’s the players fault not the scheme, they just need to execute it better.  They don’t modify the scheme to Suit players strengths.  This is an outdated way of thinking many 50,60 year old coaches have.  There like college professors who come into the new semester with their 5,10 year old syllabus, lectures, tests, and PowerPoint slides.  They don’t actually teach the students, they just provide educational material.  This way of coaching is outdated and becoming increasingly ineffective because there are lots of young offensive coaches who are on the cutting edge of creativity and constantly challenging what’s possible especially with uniquely talented players.

If you see a RB getting older and losing speed and being less and less effective every year you wouldn’t sign him and expect the old version of him.  So why would you think a scheme that has been progressively less effective all of a sudden regain its past success on a team that has less talent and must learn and play under the scheme for the first time?  I want a coach that has the ability to continuously adapt his scheme and the mindset to constantly challenge himself to grow.  

with college offensive schemes/concepts and coaches trickling into nfl offenses maybe we should sign a top college DC.

I’d really like Brent Venables, but I doubt he leaves Clemson.  He makes a lot of money there but more importantly his sons a LB for him and only a sophomore.... I doubt he leaves and gives up the chance to coach his son.  Jim Leonard (DC-Clemson) is a hot name... but he runs a 3-4 scheme. I think he’s capable of changing to a 4-3 and being successful though.  Sadly, I don’t think we have the ability to land a top College DC besides Derrick Ansley.

I don’t think we’re THAT far from having a mid level defense.  Add a starting 3Tech plus FS and a speed pass rusher then some role players and we can be there.... if we can get our recent draft picks to reach their potential.  That means we can’t swap to a 3-4 and we can’t go to a primary zone scheme.  That would be a total rebuild and waste the vast draft resources and FA signings we’ve made.  We need to stick to primary press man scheme (but change up coverages situationally) .... develop our 4 young CBs .... and add a rangy FS , maximize Abrams, and add a 3rd safety/slot CB with coverage skills.  I’d like to see some 3 safety looks, let Abrams play more of a Rover role in some looks.  We need to stick to a 4-3.... Crosby isn’t ideally a 34OLB and Ferrell isn’t a 34 DE.  Key and Hurst have talent and if used right could be productive backups.  They have no fit in a 3-4.  We don’t have any 34 OLBs that can be good rushers and finding guys like that is expensive.  Add a lengthy 3Tech, resign Hankins And draft a backup NT.  If we can get a 3Tech who can rush the passer and run some innovative rush schemes we’ll do fine.  We’ve had some success with “nascar rushes” with Ferrell and Key kicking inside.  The reason we get so few pressure is because we have no speed rusher who can threaten the outside shoulder of a OT.... so the whole OL pinches inward.... and rush lanes shrink and Its easier for OLmen to lend help if a teammate gets beat.  Plus.... when was the last time we’ve been surprised to see a LB blitz after the balls been snapped?  Any time we blitz it’s clear as day presnap.  Kwiatowski is a Fing Tank on delayed blitzes in the A-gap.  Littleton needs to play downhill and run, not take on blockers. He can be blitzed from anywhere on the field really and have success.  How can we be successful if we as fans know what the Defense will do presnap and what the offense should do?  We need a DC who brings an attacking defense that is mysterious and catches offenses offguard.

So I want a 4-3 press man Scheme and someone who can develop and maximize the players we have AND bring a constantly adapting and innovative scheme.

so that leaves my list at:

#1.  Aaron Glenn, Saints DB coach-  he’s one of the hot names for position coaches ready to move up to DC.  Former player and young.  Dennis Allen failed miserably here but he and his position coaches are successful now because they are running a flexible scheme that changes on a

Weekly basis.  The defense he comes from is a 4-3 that generates pressure with surprising blitzes.  They play a variety of

Coverages but keep it simple and let players react not think. I believe Glenn has learned how to run a highly successful defense, one that is surprises offenses, one that Adjusts itself to its players strengths, etc etc

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_e2200420-e941-510a-8b0e-488e27268582.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_addd6ef2-3c03-11eb-b44f-fb3767e7b157.amp.htm

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_7995c9cd-4be7-5f5d-8253-df1a6d481bf4.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_a9a552c4-cb42-549d-851d-1afd229fcf0a.amp.html

So Glenn was the DB coach behind those 3 safety looks.  Not to mention he’s done a great job since ‘16 developing the Saints draft picks.  If we can bring in Glenn then add the FS and 3T and speed rusher we’d instantly have a above average defense.  The defense Glenn would bring both optimized the young talent we have and doesn’t require a massive rebuild.

Glenn doesn’t seem to just be riding on Allen’s success, which I admit if a big concern.  All reports have him being one of the biggest contributors to the constant adjustments to the scheme. I 

Derrick Ansley, DC University of Tennessee / ex Raiders DB coach 

If Vic Fangion gets fired by Denver he instantly becomes one of the top choices.  He’s probably the only DC I’d be willing to switch to 3-4.  

If Chicago fires Naggy then Chuck Pagano instantly moves up into top consideration.

If Philly fires Pederson then Jim Schwartz is a top choice.

Kris Richard, ex Seattle DB coach

I don’t want Matt Patricia, ex Detroit HC because he’s proven he can’t adapt his scheme:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-matt-patricia-fired-detroit-lions-defense-cover-1-2020

I don’t want Morris simply because of the zone coverage. He plays next to no man coverage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/football/raheem-morris-shares-his-master-plan-for-the-falcons-2020-defense/APwujsvMupBVVU6qOPr0OM/%3foutputType=amp

I wouldn’t want Wade Phillips because of the switch to 3-4 (he does play press man).  I wouldn’t call him a retread I just don’t think we’d be getting the best version of him and itd only be for 1-2 years.  

btw..... Move Justin Fields back up to QB2 and Into the conversation for #2 overall. He’s killing Clemson! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah that’s absolutely right.... except THE WHOLE POINT I was making was he didn’t leave every stone unturned in his research into the Likelihood that Takk would be able to See the field.

takk was signed On day 1 of week 12 and Immediately put on the 3 week IR, meaning he was definitely out for weeks 12-14.  

now I actually commend and praise Mayock for attempting to address the horrible pass rush and add a Speed rusher, something I had been screaming for since Training Camp.  I’ve said numerous times that adding a Dpr speed rusher could massively impact this defense.  Just having one rusher who can challenge the outside edge would open up things for the rest of the DL.

so at best takk could only play weeks 15,16,17.  We knew that going in.  That chance was worth the money.  It’s a small price to pay to get a quick Look at a former 1st round pick at a position of need whose had success early in his career!

but the whole point of my post was that 2 other teams (and AtL) didn’t think Takk would see the field and waived him or cancelled the waiver.  Yet Mayock thought he’d be able to get on the field.....

So I’d really like to Know what team doctors thought of his chance to Playing in weeks 15-17 were.  That ultimately is the deciding factor is Mayock made a mistake or Not.  If he was told the chances were high then he was justified.  But i find it hard to believe that’s what he was told because 2 other teams failed his physical PLUS when week 14 rolled around he wasn’t any conversation of him being close to returning.  The only game there was any chance of him coming back was week 17.  Plus when the time rolled around Takk wasn’t even close to being able to Play.

so it was a good idea in theory but had we done our medical check due diligence we’d have known Takk had very little chance of seeing the field more than 1 game.  And to Spend the money for a 50/50 chance of getting a single game was a waste of money and bad choice.  This isn’t me just nit picking Mayock.  It’s me noticing a trend of ignoring major needs until it’s too late AND wasting little bits of salary cap here and there.  Not to mention he’s notorious now for not optimizing draft capital with the overdrafting of guys like tanner muse, etc plus not trading down (Ferrell, Arnette, and I’d even say Abrams), not to mention some really bad FA contracts (Nassib, Joyner, etc).  I wouldn’t put T.Williams in that group because his issues are only injuries. 

I like Mayock but he’s not except from criticism.  He needs to stop wasting little bits of money here and there and optimize his draft capital And salary cap.

22 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Glenn is interesting. Only question is he has never been the main guy.

I’m very high on Glenn.  My research (which is just internet searches- lets be honest lol) is that Glenn has been a driving force to that defensive scheme and success.  He’s not just coaching DBs Allen’s scheme, he’s an intricate part of the game planning.  

The One negative to Glenn is that more established coaches usually bring in more established Position coaches.  But as a former player he might be able to recruit some good young coaches who were former players.

I really like what Glenn has done with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and the S/sCB role he plays.  Glenn had Eli Apple playing like a quality CB2.  He’s developed Marcus Williams into A really good Single high FS.  I think Glenn could develop Robertson quite, as he’s gotten Janoris Jenkins to rebound.

We’d obviously have to bring in a starting FS In the draft of FS.  I think Glenn as a DC and the role his FS plays would be optimal to recruiting one Of the top FS’s.  His current FS, Marcus Williams,!is a FA too so maybe he could get him to sign.

Id be willing to take my chances on rising young coach who hasn’t been DC before over a Established DC whose had success that’s faded and hasn’t shown the ability to adapt.

Gruden might selfishly prefer a DC that isn’t a threat to take his job down the road.

20 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m very high on Glenn.  My research (which is just internet searches- lets be honest lol) is that Glenn has been a driving force to that defensive scheme and success.  He’s not just coaching DBs Allen’s scheme, he’s an intricate part of the game planning.  

The One negative to Glenn is that more established coaches usually bring in more established Position coaches.  But as a former player he might be able to recruit some good young coaches who were former players.

I really like what Glenn has done with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and the S/sCB role he plays.  Glenn had Eli Apple playing like a quality CB2.  He’s developed Marcus Williams into A really good Single high FS.  I think Glenn could develop Robertson quite, as he’s gotten Janoris Jenkins to rebound.

We’d obviously have to bring in a starting FS In the draft of FS.  I think Glenn as a DC and the role his FS plays would be optimal to recruiting one Of the top FS’s.  His current FS, Marcus Williams,!is a FA too so maybe he could get him to sign.

Id be willing to take my chances on rising young coach who hasn’t been DC before over a Established DC whose had success that’s faded and hasn’t shown the ability to adapt.

Gruden might selfishly prefer a DC that isn’t a threat to take his job down the road.

Yes, i brought him up a few weeks ago along with the Saints Dline coach Ryan Nielsen. Seems like he's a DC candidate too and he has done a very good job with their dline. And my research wasn't any more in-depth than yours btw!

Edited by oakdb36

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't care who you sign as DC. If the team does not address major voids in their talent base, the DC will not be successful.

There is not a single player on defense that an argument can't be made you can replace.

Some of you are acting like a new DC will come and transform this team. There is a reason they've been terrible on defense for 18 years. They never identify and develop talent properly.

You make valid points but those points create a catch 22 situation:

Do you bring in Established DC whose scheme doesn’t fit our current players yet has the ability to develop draft picks that fit its scheme.

Well... if you bring in a zone coverage DC then recent draft picks like Mullen, Arnette, I.Johnson, and possibly Robertson don’t fit the scheme Because they are significantly better in man coverage and struggle in zone.  If you move to a 3-4 then Ferrell, Hurst, and (I believe) Crosby are poor fits.

can we afford to basically abandon the development of all that young talent?  I think Absolutely not.  We need a DC and staff that will Run a system that fits them and optimizes their development.

If we bring in a 3-4 and/or zone DC that’s capable of drafting and developing talent it’ll take 2-3 years to get the defense fixed and the reality is In that time frame the defense will be poor and the DC will end up getting replaced.

We simply are at a point where we Absolutely can’t go full rebuild, we must stay the course as a 4-3 Primarily man coverage defense.  When we discussed the eventual replacement of PG this offseason it seemed like the vast majority of us agreed on this, but now the sentiment has changed for some.  I think the people whose sentiment has changed are moving because they want a DC like Wade Phillips or Morris because they’ve been successful before.

i absolutely agree we need a DC that’s capable of developing draft picks.  That’s the only way we’ll have success.

for all these reasons I think Aaron Glenn is the guy for the job.

he’s proven he can develop draft picks in NO.  He’d run a 4-3 Defense that plays man but varies the coverages.  He’d bring Allen’s surprise blitz packages.  

If you bring Glenn in and add a starting FS and 3Tech then this defense could make a very fast jump and with continued quality drafts the players would be developed properly.

16 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Yes, i brought him up a few weeks ago along with the Saints Dline coach Ryan Nielsen. Seems like he's a DC candidate too and he has done a very good job with their dline. And my research wasn't any more in-depth than yours btw!

Yeah Nielsen was another name I came up on.  He’s done very well.  I’d definitely consider him too.  

There Was just come small details that have me preferring Glenn.... again this is just my personal preference and could definitely be rebuttaled:

Davenport hasn’t really come on strong for such a high draft pick and Trey Hendrick’s sack totals upon closer inspection are misleading- lots of cleanup and cheap sacks, not likely To sustain that Level of Production long term.... although I admit Nielsen dwarves massive praise for coaching him up and getting that level of production.

While I really like the role Gardner-Johnson  has been cast into and could like to see the Raiders implement a similar role, NO Has drafted a ton of DBs and Glenn Has developed them all very week, etc.

i Just prefer Glenn but would be very happy with Nielsen too.  He’s done a great job of creating pressure and disguising blitzes.

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I want a young coach but not for the reasons you listed, although I agree with them and would add them to my reasoning.

I’m tired of us hiring (as well as seeing it happen throughout the league) what I call “retread” DCs.

These are coordinators (like PG, albeit PG barely had the past success to qualify as a “has been” cuz he’s really a “never was”) who had some degree of success but then gradually it tapers off and they get fired then get hired by a new team.  What happens is these guys come up as a position coach under a successful DC with a good scheme.  Then they get a DC job and take the scheme with them.  They often have success for the first few years but it gradually tapers off.  This is because the scheme has been figured out and exploited by young, innovative OCs. Offensive schemes are advancing at a crazy pace right now.  If a DC is running a scheme they learned 5-7 years ago and one that wasn’t successful (and becoming less successful every passing year) 1-3 years ago with their last team because the Scheme has been figured out and exploited.... and the coach didn’t change and grow the scheme to keep up with offenses..... how can we believe it will Work for us?

I think Gus Bradley is one of those retread DCs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boltsfromtheblue.com/platform/amp/2017/5/30/15714574/jalen-ramsey-gus-bradley-chargers-jaguars-defense

• these retread coaches always have the same mindset when issues arise: it’s the players fault not the scheme, they just need to execute it better.  They don’t modify the scheme to Suit players strengths.  This is an outdated way of thinking many 50,60 year old coaches have.  There like college professors who come into the new semester with their 5,10 year old syllabus, lectures, tests, and PowerPoint slides.  They don’t actually teach the students, they just provide educational material.  This way of coaching is outdated and becoming increasingly ineffective because there are lots of young offensive coaches who are on the cutting edge of creativity and constantly challenging what’s possible especially with uniquely talented players.

If you see a RB getting older and losing speed and being less and less effective every year you wouldn’t sign him and expect the old version of him.  So why would you think a scheme that has been progressively less effective all of a sudden regain its past success on a team that has less talent and must learn and play under the scheme for the first time?  I want a coach that has the ability to continuously adapt his scheme and the mindset to constantly challenge himself to grow.  

with college offensive schemes/concepts and coaches trickling into nfl offenses maybe we should sign a top college DC.

I’d really like Brent Venables, but I doubt he leaves Clemson.  He makes a lot of money there but more importantly his sons a LB for him and only a sophomore.... I doubt he leaves and gives up the chance to coach his son.  Jim Leonard (DC-Clemson) is a hot name... but he runs a 3-4 scheme. I think he’s capable of changing to a 4-3 and being successful though.  Sadly, I don’t think we have the ability to land a top College DC besides Derrick Ansley.

I don’t think we’re THAT far from having a mid level defense.  Add a starting 3Tech plus FS and a speed pass rusher then some role players and we can be there.... if we can get our recent draft picks to reach their potential.  That means we can’t swap to a 3-4 and we can’t go to a primary zone scheme.  That would be a total rebuild and waste the vast draft resources and FA signings we’ve made.  We need to stick to primary press man scheme (but change up coverages situationally) .... develop our 4 young CBs .... and add a rangy FS , maximize Abrams, and add a 3rd safety/slot CB with coverage skills.  I’d like to see some 3 safety looks, let Abrams play more of a Rover role in some looks.  We need to stick to a 4-3.... Crosby isn’t ideally a 34OLB and Ferrell isn’t a 34 DE.  Key and Hurst have talent and if used right could be productive backups.  They have no fit in a 3-4.  We don’t have any 34 OLBs that can be good rushers and finding guys like that is expensive.  Add a lengthy 3Tech, resign Hankins And draft a backup NT.  If we can get a 3Tech who can rush the passer and run some innovative rush schemes we’ll do fine.  We’ve had some success with “nascar rushes” with Ferrell and Key kicking inside.  The reason we get so few pressure is because we have no speed rusher who can threaten the outside shoulder of a OT.... so the whole OL pinches inward.... and rush lanes shrink and Its easier for OLmen to lend help if a teammate gets beat.  Plus.... when was the last time we’ve been surprised to see a LB blitz after the balls been snapped?  Any time we blitz it’s clear as day presnap.  Kwiatowski is a Fing Tank on delayed blitzes in the A-gap.  Littleton needs to play downhill and run, not take on blockers. He can be blitzed from anywhere on the field really and have success.  How can we be successful if we as fans know what the Defense will do presnap and what the offense should do?  We need a DC who brings an attacking defense that is mysterious and catches offenses offguard.

So I want a 4-3 press man Scheme and someone who can develop and maximize the players we have AND bring a constantly adapting and innovative scheme.

so that leaves my list at:

#1.  Aaron Glenn, Saints DB coach-  he’s one of the hot names for position coaches ready to move up to DC.  Former player and young.  Dennis Allen failed miserably here but he and his position coaches are successful now because they are running a flexible scheme that changes on a

Weekly basis.  The defense he comes from is a 4-3 that generates pressure with surprising blitzes.  They play a variety of

Coverages but keep it simple and let players react not think. I believe Glenn has learned how to run a highly successful defense, one that is surprises offenses, one that Adjusts itself to its players strengths, etc etc

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_e2200420-e941-510a-8b0e-488e27268582.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_addd6ef2-3c03-11eb-b44f-fb3767e7b157.amp.htm

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_7995c9cd-4be7-5f5d-8253-df1a6d481bf4.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_a9a552c4-cb42-549d-851d-1afd229fcf0a.amp.html

So Glenn was the DB coach behind those 3 safety looks.  Not to mention he’s done a great job since ‘16 developing the Saints draft picks.  If we can bring in Glenn then add the FS and 3T and speed rusher we’d instantly have a above average defense.  The defense Glenn would bring both optimized the young talent we have and doesn’t require a massive rebuild.

Glenn doesn’t seem to just be riding on Allen’s success, which I admit if a big concern.  All reports have him being one of the biggest contributors to the constant adjustments to the scheme. I 

Derrick Ansley, DC University of Tennessee / ex Raiders DB coach 

If Vic Fangion gets fired by Denver he instantly becomes one of the top choices.  He’s probably the only DC I’d be willing to switch to 3-4.  

If Chicago fires Naggy then Chuck Pagano instantly moves up into top consideration.

If Philly fires Pederson then Jim Schwartz is a top choice.

Kris Richard, ex Seattle DB coach

I don’t want Matt Patricia, ex Detroit HC because he’s proven he can’t adapt his scheme:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-matt-patricia-fired-detroit-lions-defense-cover-1-2020

I don’t want Morris simply because of the zone coverage. He plays next to no man coverage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/football/raheem-morris-shares-his-master-plan-for-the-falcons-2020-defense/APwujsvMupBVVU6qOPr0OM/%3foutputType=amp

I wouldn’t want Wade Phillips because of the switch to 3-4 (he does play press man).  I wouldn’t call him a retread I just don’t think we’d be getting the best version of him and itd only be for 1-2 years.  

btw..... Move Justin Fields back up to QB2 and Into the conversation for #2 overall. He’s killing Clemson! 

Good post, lots of good information in there. I’ll look into the Saints guy. He seems very promising. 

As for Schwartz, we’re in agreement there. He was who I wanted for HC in 2018 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Good post, lots of good information in there. I’ll look into the Saints guy. He seems very promising. 

As for Schwartz, we’re in agreement there. He was who I wanted for HC in 2018 

Well as soon as we bring up Jim Schwartz name within an hours time it comes out that he’s sitting out the ‘21 season:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30637798/philadelphia-eagles-dc-jim-schwartz-taking-year-coaching-2021-sources-say%3fplatform=amp