RaidersAreOne

Dont understand the Gus Bradley hate

2016 Chargers gave up 26.4 points per game

2015 24.9

Hired 2017

Chargers gave up 17 points a game

2018 20.6

2019 21.6 

2020 26.6 while half of the starting defense missed multiple games with injuries 

I would so dirty things for this Raiders team to only give up 20 a game. 

I would be more happy with Bradley then Raheem. Get Bradley and then get the dogs needed in the front 4. 

Vic just said that he doesn't get the sense that Raheem is in the mix 

If the Raiders are wanting to get this done quick then that would make sense cause then you're waiting for the Falcons to either come out and say they dont view Raheem as a HC candidate or wait for the Falcons to hire a HC

Edited by agarcia34

51 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

2015 24.9

Hired 2017

2018 20.6

2019 21.6 

2020 26.6 while half of the starting defense missed multiple games with injuries 

I would be more happy with Bradley then Raheem. Get Bradley and then get the dogs needed in the front 4. 

The Chargers have also had a ton of talent on that defense with guys like Ingram, Bosa, etc. 

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Not sure what you're upset about. You think they'll just hire a guy and let him do whatever he wants? What business works like that because i've never seen one.

This is true to a certain extent.  I do not want the head of marketing micro-managing the finance department.  You can work together and communicate goals to accomplish an overall goal.  I want Gruden to communicate expectations and philosophy of the overall team but if Gruden is controlling the defense we are in trouble.  If he is only looking at 4-3 DCs because he does not understand the nuances of a 3-4 then that is not good enough.  If he thinks we do not have the players and it would take to long to build it that is something different.

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

2015 24.9

Hired 2017

2018 20.6

2019 21.6 

It's not bad at all. But if he wants to play cover 3, we're going to need guys to win with a 4 man rush more consistently and we'll also need a really premium free safety IMO.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t want Barry at all. Unproven and his success was directly tied to Wade Philips. Bust at DC waiting to happen.

He's proven. 4 years a DC. 2 with the Lions including their 0-16 season. 2 with Washington and fired by Jay Gruden. He's proven he's not a capable DC.

9 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I do like how Gruden said they will move quickly for a DC hire. No need to wait and sit on your hands. Get it done so the work on who stays as far as players can begin.

I think that the Joe Barry thing is going to be more of a potential spot on the coaching staff then actually being hired as the DC.  

Barry is the assistant HC for the Rams. Not sure how that works, but I don't think he can simply come coach LBs with a demotion in title. Unless the Rams let it happen.

I personally don't think they should rush this decision as they need to to hit a home run with this hire and staff. This already is trending as expected... narrow search among Gruden's former guys including keeping current position coaches like Rod.

I'd really like to see a fresh name and approach. The league and its players are different now than when Gruden last coached. They need a great teacher on defense and relatable coach. 

A first time DC is risky, but imo a higher reward than a ho hum Gus Bradley type hire. Again, they need home run approach. They are currently just trying to get on base with these names. 

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This is true to a certain extent.  I do not want the head of marketing micro-managing the finance department.  You can work together and communicate goals to accomplish an overall goal.  I want Gruden to communicate expectations and philosophy of the overall team but if Gruden is controlling the defense we are in trouble.  If he is only looking at 4-3 DCs because he does not understand the nuances of a 3-4 then that is not good enough.  If he thinks we do not have the players and it would take to long to build it that is something different.

I think he wants a 4-3 because that's what every D under him at HC have been (it's his preference) and because the players who have been added in the last 3  years are better fits for that scheme. Littleton and Kwit could work in a 3-4 since they've done it in the past but the DL are 4-3 players. Ferrell at 270 isn't a 3-4 DE, same with Crosby. They'd have to transition to OLB or add some serious weight. Nassib also played OLB in the Bucs 3-4. Hurst has no role in a base 3-4. Hankins could be the NT but he's a FA and i don't think they bring him back. There's no player under contract to play the 3 DL. No starter and no depth. That's at least 6 players you'd have to add in 1 offseason just to field that kind of D.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I personally don't think they should rush this decision as they need to to hit a home run with this hire and staff. This already is trending as expected... narrow search among Gruden's former guys including keeping current position coaches like Rod.

I'd really like to see a fresh name and approach. The league and its players are different now than when Gruden last coached. They need a great teacher on defense and relatable coach. 

A first time DC is risky, but imo a higher reward than a ho hum Gus Bradley type hire. Again, they need home run approach. They are currently just trying to get on base with these names. 

And that's all the Raiders need to win 10+ games a year an average defense. Why risk going backwards when you can take a safe way to the playoffs?

Edited by Bitty 2.0

Joe Barry’s four years as a coordinator he ranked 32, 32, 28, and 28 on two separate teams. Each team fired him after two seasons. 

He’s not even the DC on the Rams team. And Wade Philips was the main reason for that teams success.

Sign me up on the Raheem Morris, and to a lesser degree, Kris Richard bandwaggon please. (Since it seems we are distancing ourselves from Philips). 

52 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

And that's all the Raiders need to win 10+ games a year an average defense. Why risk going backwards when you can take a safe way to the playoffs?

What's the "safe way to the playoffs"? This is 7-10 win currently team stuck in a log jam with other  similar teams going forward (Colts, Titans, Dolphins, etc). As in, you'll get a 10 win season then follow it with a 7 win season. 

Is the goal is "make the playoffs" or are you trying to elevate the team into a consistent winning franchise who makes the playoffs every year and can compete for championships?

I feel like this fan base is content just getting to the playoffs, which can happen with an average defense and things breaking right sure. That's the sprint. 

I want the marathon.... Building a team that is always in the mix and can compete in the playoffs against the top AFC teams. I want division championships and longevity. Not one of seasons here and there where they make the playoffs and are immediately bounced. 

14 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Not sure what you're upset about. You think they'll just hire a guy and let him do whatever he wants? What business works like that because i've never seen one.

Businesses who know what they’re good at. Any competent company will take people who fit their philosophy but then they’ll leave it up to  them run their own departments. 

I personally want a failed HC for the DC position. Give me a successful guy who got a HC spot but couldn’t keep it. They’ll probably still be good DC’s but we won’t ever have to worry about them getting a HC job. Hiring a young up and comer is a risk, most of the time they don’t pan out: the Rob Ryan’s and Jason Tarvers greatly out number the Matt Eberflus’ of the world. And if they do pan out they get fast tracked to the HC spot and the Raiders are back where they started.