The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

As far as potential DCs go, would you guys prefer someone with a D-line or Secondary background? 

With the investments in Mullen, Arnette, and Abram the last 2 years, the likelihood of a S being an early pick or a priority in FA, Joyner's potential if used properly, and the NCB competition, I wouldn't mind looking at someone like Aaron Glenn of we don't go hard after Wade. 

Thoughts?

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

As far as potential DCs go, would you guys prefer someone with a D-line or Secondary background? 

With the investments in Mullen, Arnette, and Abram the last 2 years, the likelihood of a S being an early pick or a priority in FA, Joyner's potential if used properly, and the NCB competition, I wouldn't mind looking at someone like Aaron Glenn of we don't go hard after Wade. 

Thoughts?

Since Marinelli is here to stay, I would grab a DC with secondary background...

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Wade is a great DC year one then his D's take a step back afterwards.

Is this backed up by any statistics, facts? I'm interested to know.

A step back would be something we're unfamiliar with of course as theres nowhere to go backwards when year after year you're 30th ranked or thereabouts 😁

• Like 2

im on the fence with Wade. 1. The 3-4 switch(Gruden has stated he wants to keep a 4 man front). 2. His age(and history) at this point hes only good for a year or two. 

But damn, you cant deny his resume, hes been one of the best for as long as ive been watching football it seems. 

If im Gruden, Mayock or anyone else helping make the decision, im at the very least bringing him in for a meeting and seeing what he has to say and seeing his vision. Part of the whole leaving no stone unturned to improve the team line. 

Gruden seems to be all in on Marinelli coaching the DL, does that get thrown out the window if Wade is brought in?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Just give me a guy who can teach and not just coach cause there’s a huge difference in the two. These young guys need to be taugh and built up it takes a coach who can teach to do that. PG was just a coach. 

amen!

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Is this backed up by any statistics, facts? I'm interested to know.

A step back would be something we're unfamiliar with of course as theres nowhere to go backwards when year after year you're 30th ranked or thereabouts 😁

my man Darbsk, once again coming through with the cold realities...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Gruden seems to be all in on Marinelli coaching the DL, does that get thrown out the window if Wade is brought in?

Based on reports it seems like Rod will be back regardless of who we hire as our DC. Gruden absolutely loves him. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Thoughts?

Aaron Glenn is the guy to Get IMO.... I’d prefer a DB coach turned DC because of the heavy investment in the DBs (don’t forget I.Johnson and Robertson) but it’s also not like we don’t have a heavy investment in the DL ferrell, Crosby, hurst plus is sure we’ll take a DL early.... so a DL coach turned DC is an option.

but the main thing I see is we gotta bring in good DL, LB, and DB coaches to teach the guys.  There the ones that have the greatest impact.

11 hours ago, Geezy said:

my man Darbsk, once again coming through with the cold realities...

Haha cheers Geezy 😁 🍻

I honestly can't remember even a decent defence since about 2002. I think we had one year but it was probably around the Bed & Breakfast year where teams just coasted for the whole 2nd half.

2016 we managed to go crazy on turnovers and made big plays at crucial times but we still weren't what anyone would call good.......maybe it's just too much to ask 😔

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Haha cheers Geezy 😁 🍻

I honestly can't remember even a decent defence since about 2002. I think we had one year but it was probably around the Bed & Breakfast year where teams just coasted for the whole 2nd half.

2016 we managed to go crazy on turnovers and made big plays at crucial times but we still weren't what anyone would call good.......maybe it's just too much to ask 😔

The list of defenders drafted by the Raiders in the first 3 rounds in the last 20 years is quite amusing.

5 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

The list of defenders drafted by the Raiders in the first 3 rounds in the last 20 years is quite amusing.

Amusing is an understatement. They traded up for Fabian Washington in 2005 ahead of Aaron Rogers. 

Fun fact, 2005 Wink Martindale (Ravens DC) and Chuck Pagano were both on that staff. 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:
8 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Amusing is an understatement. They traded up for Fabian Washington in 2005 ahead of Aaron Rogers. 

Fun fact, 2005 Wink Martindale (Ravens DC) and Chuck Pagano were both on that staff. 

A real rogues gallery 😁

Remember Tyler Brayton? Derrick Gibson, Phillip Buchanon, Washington, Huff, Routt, McClain........ that's just 1st round picks 😬😬