The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Bradley doesn't really impress me much. Isn't he living off the Seattle success still? I remember Charger fans (all 5 of them) hoping to move on from him.  

Yes Bradley is super coasting. Hasn’t had a good defense in a while. 

Great scheme though. Just worry it may not work anymore. 

I’d be OK with Bradley. Wouldn’t love it or hate it. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vinny:

Of importance: Jon Gruden said he wants @Raiders to remain a 4-man defensive front.

good god. what does he care. bring in a DC that can do his own thing. its not like 3-4 teams just send 3 man rushes all day. for a guy who loves moving Cle Ferrell between end and tackle, him being a 3-4 DE is pretty ideal. Hankins was born to be a Nose. Littleton/Morrow/Kwit would all thrive in a 3-4. gruden is way to set and stubborn in his ways, its infuriating. 

i get that he wants to be totally hands-on with the offense and is the de facto OC, but good god why does he need to micromanage the defense too

my dream scenario at this point is bringing in Wade Phillips and taking Ojulari with #17. 

but we're going to settle with what, Gus Bradley? a guy who oversaw a great defense loaded with talent? this is a borderline Adam Gase situation. Bradley was miserable with the Jaguars, whose defense actually got a lot better after he left. he then had some average seasons with a chargers team that was also loaded with talent up front and in the secondary. 

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

good god. what does he care. bring in a DC that can do his own thing. its not like 3-4 teams just send 3 man rushes all day. 

my dream scenario at this point is bringing in Wade Phillips and taking Ojulari with #17

100% agreed. Good DC’s will make 3-4 work, and we can draft for it.

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Wade Phillips was their DC from 2017-2019 😂

he also got the best out of LaMarcus Joyner during those years

this is actual parody if there is an affinity toward Barry but an aversion to Phillips because "muh 4-3"

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

good god. what does he care. bring in a DC that can do his own thing. its not like 3-4 teams just send 3 man rushes all day. for a guy who loves moving Cle Ferrell between end and tackle, him being a 3-4 DE is pretty ideal. Hankins was born to be a Nose. Littleton/Morrow/Kwit would all thrive in a 3-4. gruden is way to set and stubborn in his ways, its infuriating. 

i get that he wants to be totally hands-on with the offense and is the de facto OC, but good god why does he need to micromanage the defense too

my dream scenario at this point is bringing in Wade Phillips and taking Ojulari with #17. 

but we're going to settle with what, Gus Bradley? a guy who oversaw a great defense loaded with talent? this is a borderline Adam Gase situation. Bradley was miserable with the Jaguars, whose defense actually got a lot better after he left. he then had some average seasons with a chargers team that was also loaded with talent up front and in the secondary. 

Same

3 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Not sure what you're upset about. You think they'll just hire a guy and let him do whatever he wants? What business works like that because i've never seen one.

every business delegates. too much micromanaging from the top leads to poor results, particularly as the business scales

Kris Richard is my top guy, hes had great success and i believe we have some pieces he can mold into a good unit(Mullen, Arnette, Abram, Johnson, Robertson)

I would also like to keep Marinelli as DL Coach, he has a proven track record and even though we didnt get the results years 1, i want to see what he can do with a real off-season

• Like 1

I do like how Gruden said they will move quickly for a DC hire. No need to wait and sit on your hands. Get it done so the work on who stays as far as players can begin.

I think that the Joe Barry thing is going to be more of a potential spot on the coaching staff then actually being hired as the DC.  

9 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I do like how Gruden said they will move quickly for a DC hire. No need to wait and sit on your hands. Get it done so the work on who stays as far as players can begin.

I think that the Joe Barry thing is going to be more of a potential spot on the coaching staff then actually being hired as the DC.  

I hope so. I want Morris or Phillips. Maybe Richard. Bradley is meh to me. So is Barry.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yes Bradley is super coasting. Hasn’t had a good defense in a while. 

Great scheme though. Just worry it may not work anymore. 

I’d be OK with Bradley. Wouldn’t love it or hate it. 

Bradley Is a Classic example of what I call a retread DC.... had success (often with a scheme they took from the DC when they were a position coach).... at first... then it doesn’t work (cuz the scheme gets figured out (it’s 5+ Years old by now And more or less unchanged).... they get fired.... and people think:

“if only he can Duplicate his success from 3 years ago!”

well how’s that suppose to happen? They’ve shown they couldn’t adapt the system when they’re jobs were clearly on the line