What to do at qb next year?

Vladimir L

I don’t want Stafford. We either need to stand pat at QB or draft a young QB early to develop. If we’re trading for a QB, I don’t want it to be a 30 something guy. I’d rather trade a 2nd or whatever for Darnold to sit/learn behind Smith for a year.

Stafford is a short term answer to a long term problem. We need a long term answer. Stafford would likely just make us a playoff team that still loses in the playoffs. I don’t see him winning a Super Bowl. He’s usually folded in the clutch of his biggest games; especially in the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I don't see any way the Cowboys can re sign Dak P. Is that a reality?

I don’t think that door is closed for Dak and the Cowboys. If we signed Dak, he’d certainly be the best QB we’ve had since Joey T. I think Dak has developed the last two years into a better QB than Kirk and he’s always been mobile even though he runs less now than his first few years.

Dak has grown on me the last two years. I’d definitely sign him if he’s a FA. I’d also love to take the Cowboys QB pair him w/ Gibby, Terry, and our good to great D and be a Super Bowl contender in a few years.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, Troublez said:

Can any capologist put together a deal that the cowboys can afford that he hasn't already turned down!?

The issue the Cowboys and Dak have is years more than cost. If I remember correctly Dak wanted a 4 year contract so he could get another big contract before his mid 30s, the Cowboys want a 6 year deal.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

I hear that we feel that we are a qb away from being something with this good defense and want to move on it.  I think we have to consider going after Darnold.  First of all, I think he would be better than alex smith out of the gate.  Secondly, he still has the potential to become something more.  However, it will cost us.  It is hard to say how much.  I think the lowest draft compensation would be a 2nd and 4th.  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:38 PM, Vladimir L said:

I'm still with trading for Stafford.

2021 salary cap for Alex Smith = $24.4M ($18.75M salary, $5.4M signing bonus pro-ration, $0.25M workout bonus); if cut, could save $13.6M

2021 salary cap for Matthew Stafford = $34.95M

So, in trading for Stafford (assuming we cut Smith), you basically blow away the savings and throw something in to get Stafford away from the Lions? Why?

If you want Stafford, it would be better to wait and see if the Lions cut him (as they could save $10M on their cap) and then sign him to a deal. Still not sure that's a good idea, but at least it would be a better idea than trading for him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

I hear that we feel that we are a qb away from being something with this good defense and want to move on it.  I think we have to consider going after Darnold.  First of all, I think he would be better than alex smith out of the gate.  Secondly, he still has the potential to become something more.  However, it will cost us.  It is hard to say how much.  I think the lowest draft compensation would be a 2nd and 4th.  

I would much rather trade for Darnold than Stanford bc of age. The only reason I would say that Darnold might not be better than Alex is consistency. No doubt Darnold has all the talent to be a pro bowl QB maybe even a top 5 elite QB but he’s never been consistent. So, if you’re trading for him that something you have to get him to be better at. He has to learn to take what the defense gives him most plays to move the chains and avoid turnovers and not always go for the big splashy plays. 

7 hours ago, Woz said:

2021 salary cap for Alex Smith = $24.4M ($18.75M salary, $5.4M signing bonus pro-ration, $0.25M workout bonus); if cut, could save $13.6M

2021 salary cap for Matthew Stafford = $34.95M

So, in trading for Stafford (assuming we cut Smith), you basically blow away the savings and throw something in to get Stafford away from the Lions? Why?

If you want Stafford, it would be better to wait and see if the Lions cut him (as they could save $10M on their cap) and then sign him to a deal. Still not sure that's a good idea, but at least it would be a better idea than trading for him.

Thanks Woz, while it still wouldn’t be my top choice because Stafford is going to be 33 in February, I’d much rather wait to see if he’s cut rather than trading multiple picks for him.

Edited by turtle28