2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

What my main point was is that we have options to create cap space. Contrary to the popular belief that we're in perpetual cap hell, the next year or two we'll have the ability to re-sign/sign guys that we want to keep around. 

12 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

What my main point was is that we have options to create cap space. Contrary to the popular belief that we're in perpetual cap hell, the next year or two we'll have the ability to re-sign/sign guys that we want to keep around. 

Until we have to give Dak a big contract in a year. 

4 hours ago, CAPJ said:

If we did get Vita Vea, I wouldnt be opposed to moving Dlaw to RE, Irving to LE and have Vea and Collins at the 1 and 3.

This is ultimately what I'd like to see or something along these lines. I think Dallas misses a guy like McClain more than they thought they would and its shown in Collins play as well.  Which is why I believe Dallas will put a much bigger emphasis on position this off season.  

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

It's better than it's been in years past but it's also not as clean as you'd hope for with a QB making like $600K. Still tons of dead money and some iffy contracts.

We should be better off in '19 with Romo off the books- but it could be a short window. And it could be moot if they still believe retaining their own is the key to sustained success.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

It's better than it's been in years past but it's also not as clean as you'd hope for with a QB making like $600K. Still tons of dead money and some iffy contracts.

We should be better off in '19 with Romo off the books- but it could be a short window. And it could be moot if they still believe retaining their own is the key to sustained success.

By 2019, I'd expect Witten and Lee of the books. Should also be at a point to move on from Dez and Crawford which creates space as well.

7 hours ago, textaz03 said:

@plan9misfit and I have been preaching DLine and OLine every year. Yearly and often! 

Championships are won in the trenches!

Exactly. I’ve been using this tag line since I joined this site back in its infancy (I was something like the 112th member of the site):

Offensive line. Defensive line. Early. Often. Annually.

7 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Have you not noticed that Collins has been almost completely replaced by Richard Ash? Ash is getting damn near all the 1-Tech reps. It isn't Collins we are replacing. It's Ash. My guess is Irving and Collins are the 3 tech rotation for the next year+.

But to spend a 1st on a dt when we have to worry about resigning Irving? Not to mention when we have legit needs at LB and DE. DT is actually our position of strength. And you don't spend a 1st on a run stuffer unless it's a cornerstone NT in a 34. 

On 12/20/2017 at 9:43 PM, CAPJ said:

By 2019, I'd expect Witten and Lee of the books. Should also be at a point to move on from Dez and Crawford which creates space as well.

This team is not moving on from Dez that soon. For starters, be a lot of dead money. For two, who are you replacing him with? While he hasnt had a great year, his abilities are still on par with some of the best in the league. Those kinds dont come around too often or very easily. Dez is still capable of dominating, we have seen that - he just needs to step his game back up.

Injuries held him back a couple years, a sophmore QB and lack of Zeke may be a factor, but the drops and shabby routes have got to stop. I refuse to believe a stud athlete and top 5 receiver just suddenly forgot how to run routes and catch a ball. Something will give sooner or later, and for the better.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This team is not moving on from Dez that soon. For starters, be a lot of dead money. For two, who are you replacing him with? While he hasnt had a great year, his abilities are still on par with some of the best in the league. Those kinds dont come around too often or very easily. Dez is still capable of dominating, we have seen that - he just needs to step his game back up.

Injuries held him back a couple years, a sophmore QB and lack of Zeke may be a factor, but the drops and shabby routes have got to stop. I refuse to believe a stud athlete and top 5 receiver just suddenly forgot how to run routes and catch a ball. Something will give sooner or later, and for the better.

That soon? You think we can' replace current Dez within a hear and a half? I get it would be difficult to replace 2014 Dez within that time frame but he has been injured, dropping passes, runs sloppy routes and can' get separation. I' pretty sure they can replace that within 2 years.

5 hours ago, CAPJ said:

That soon? You think we can' replace current Dez within a hear and a half? I get it would be difficult to replace 2014 Dez within that time frame but he has been injured, dropping passes, runs sloppy routes and can' get separation. I' pretty sure they can replace that within 2 years.

Hey im on board with all you are saying. The injuries last two years slowed him, but even then he could still take over a game at any given moment.

This year, drops, bad routes and even worse, a lack of chemistry, has been problematic.

But I still stand by what I said - I refuse to believe he just suddenly forgot how to catch the ball. The ability to catch tends to get better eith age and experience, not worse. Usually you lose some strength and speed, but we have seem him still display that this year also - that big catch and run, those few jump balls as well.

I think the problem is more in the chemistry and defensive gameplans to remove him. Without Zeke he has seen far more blanket zones over the top, and he has NEVER, even at his most dominant, been capable of breaking free from brackets, funnels and other forms of coverage designed to hinder his ability to find separation.

While he NEEDS to pick it up, its also never been part of his game before. When the runner who can break off a 60 yarder returns, we should, hopefully, see Dez can more individual matchups to work with. And not against Norman, Sherman, Peters, etc either these last couple games. Hopefully we can see the real Dez Bryant stand back up.

I still consider wide out a major need on this team, and hell, i have for 2 years now. But I am still not sold on Bryant being washed up and irrelevant and needing to be replaced. He needs help moreso than replacing, I think.

18 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Hey im on board with all you are saying. The injuries last two years slowed him, but even then he could still take over a game at any given moment.

This year, drops, bad routes and even worse, a lack of chemistry, has been problematic.

But I still stand by what I said - I refuse to believe he just suddenly forgot how to catch the ball. The ability to catch tends to get better eith age and experience, not worse. Usually you lose some strength and speed, but we have seem him still display that this year also - that big catch and run, those few jump balls as well.

I think the problem is more in the chemistry and defensive gameplans to remove him. Without Zeke he has seen far more blanket zones over the top, and he has NEVER, even at his most dominant, been capable of breaking free from brackets, funnels and other forms of coverage designed to hinder his ability to find separation.

While he NEEDS to pick it up, its also never been part of his game before. When the runner who can break off a 60 yarder returns, we should, hopefully, see Dez can more individual matchups to work with. And not against Norman, Sherman, Peters, etc either these last couple games. Hopefully we can see the real Dez Bryant stand back up.

I still consider wide out a major need on this team, and hell, i have for 2 years now. But I am still not sold on Bryant being washed up and irrelevant and needing to be replaced. He needs help moreso than replacing, I think.

I don't want to say it's because he got paid because I want to believe in Dez and that he wouldn't do that but I don't know. I think the lack of chemistry and the type of QB Dak is compared to Romo. Dak won't (or atleast shown so far) that he won' take those risks Tony did. Dez struggles to get separation. If we got someone with some deep speed to help open the middle of the field it may help Dez. My problem is were paying Dez to be the guy but he' not that guy anymore.

17: R1P17 - DL CHRISTIAN WILKINS
CLEMSON
49: R2P17 - LB JEROME BAKER
OHIO STATE
81: R3P17 - WR SIMMIE COBBS JR.
INDIANA
119: R4P17 - RB SONY MICHEL
GEORGIA
136: R4P34 - CB DUKE DAWSON
FLORIDA
139: R4P37 - TE ADAM BRENEMAN
MASSACHUSETTS