2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Only thought... it's easy to be a model citizen and teammate on a winning team. Players of this stature playing on bad teams like the Jags and Raiders is where things start to deteriorate after the honeymoon phase. 

The main issue he had with Jax was contract related. Can't find anything saying he was a problem in the locker room or on the field.

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

From my perspective, having 2 deep threats make this more dangerous it’s less about ruggs filling for NA they actually play two different roles. NA’s role is complementary ruggs not the same role. 

his role makes it to where you can’t cheat the coverage deep to rugs and then bracket Waller because Agholor is automatically going to get open against inferior coverage and can also win deep. 

I’m not sure I want to sacrifice that for more of a red zone threat. And of course, I understand where the interest comes from in signing him  him. I get the frustration of Asked to getting down the field multiple times and then not finishing in the red zone all season. But the reality is we actually regressed in the red zone last year rather than we are not a good Redzone team. A lot of that has to do with the office of line over performing which made our red zone run game very inefficient. Also foster Moreau didn’t look  like he was all the way back from the ACL tear last year and he was a key to getting in the red zone in 2019. 

I’ve said exactly the same thing for a long time: we need two deep threats to be effective.

I think there’s more roles that NA can contribute stongly from that he didn’t get the opportunity in year 1.  He could also be used in the slot to run deep seem routes or short routes like drag routes.  even last year before the season started I was pounding the table for the team to move NA around, play him inside and outside...  I think this season if we retain NA we could see a more diverse usage of NA.  As Ruggs and Edwards develop NA can be used in different  ways.

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Guarantee you what’s going to happen is if sometime this week we end up going with Malik hooker or ha ha Clinton Dix or Rayshawn Jenkins or tre Boston who are each fits for the single high scheme  people will be on here complaining about how we didn’t get John Johnson Lol

I've never been high on Clinton-Dix myself, but I'd love Jenkins and/or Boston. Helps being familiar with the defense already. 

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Raiders just can't help themselves with this stuff can they. Maybe he rebounds, but he's not played a full schedule of games since 2015.

This is what makes this team so frustrating. Any "legacy" player they have to be involved and simply ignore injury history, etc. Then wonder why their Oline is struggling midseason. 

Well give credit to Longs agent for scheduling our visit right before KC.  Given Marks Nostalgia level for guys like this what are the chances he leaves without a contract to go play for a division rival like KC?

14 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’ve said exactly the same thing for a long time: we need two deep threats to be effective.

I think there’s more roles that NA can contribute stongly from that he didn’t get the opportunity in year 1.  He could also be used in the slot to run deep seem routes or short routes like drag routes.  even last year before the season started I was pounding the table for the team to move NA around, play him inside and outside...  I think this season if we retain NA we could see a more diverse usage of NA.  As Ruggs and Edwards develop NA can be used in different  ways.

Right you get it. NA isn’t out there simply running go routes. He lines up anywhere and can run the whole route tree. He’s great with the ball in his hands. All that if he comes cheap would make him a steal.

Edited by Jeremy408

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Right you get it. NA isn’t out there simply running go routes. He lines up anywhere and can run the whole route tree. All that if he comes cheap would make him a steal.

Absolutely.  I think Nellys Versatility works perfectly for us because his role can evolve with the offense and evolving young WRs.

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

While I agree he has not been playing single high in the system he has been in - is that not partly circumstantial i.e., the reason he isn’t a scheme fit is that he hasn’t been playing in a single high, not that he can’t?

No doubt that as a result of not having seen him play our system, there is no evidence or ‘tape’ if you want to call it that of him successfully playing single high then it is a projection or a risk. But if you think he has the physical skill set and the mental ability learn to play in a less familiar scheme (plus the character to offer leadership and culture to an area of the team full of young and inexperienced players) - might it be worth the risk if you feel he could offer elite play at the position? 

While I didn’t say it in that post (which was literally as I was falling asleep lol) I have previously said that Johnson could be capable of playing single high FS... we just haven’t seen him in that role.  What sways me towards passing on Johnson is the fact that he is way better coming forward into the intermediate level and making plays then he is running hash to sideline to provide help over the top.  

While my intuition has zero value in a discussion like this.... I just get the heavy impression that What makes Johnson so productive would go to waste at FS for us.  It’s scarier to pay a guy $14M+ to play a position he has almost zero previous success at.  

My personal belief is signing Malik Hooker (if medicals are good) and drafting Trevon Moehrig is the best way to go.  If RayshawnJenkins can be had on a cheap 1-2 year deal he’d be a very good option too.

2 hours ago, roi34 said:

I want Long, call me a sucker.. I wanted him in draft too. partly because he's athletic lineman and obviously legacy. 

can't let him go to kc

As much as I’d rather not sign Long.... I’d absolutely rather sign him then see him in a Cheifs jersey.  I know you shouldn’t make personnel discussions based on emotion like that but I just couldn’t help myself.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Harris did play with 2 rookies in the secondary. Still only gave up a 58% completion rate. That would be next level on this defense lol.

I really like the idea of signing Harris to be a starter and mentor to Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, and Robertson.  He’d likely be a pretty productive starter for another 1-2 years and probably can be had for under 6-7M.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Ya'll gotta realize that next year we can also slide Ruggs/Agholor to the slot on early downs, which will allow us to create big mismatches from the slot in the play action game.

I’ve said that since last year.  Having a slot that can take the top of a defense is itself dangerous but also opens up the rest of the field for others.

They will be paid. Some players will get big money early. Those who I think get good money this week: Giants DT Dalvin Tomlinson, Bucs edge-rusher Shaq Barrett, Lions wideout Kenny Golladay, Steelers wideout JuJu Smith-Schuster, Niners left tackle Trent Williams, Pats guard Joe Thuney, Titans TE Jonnu Smith.

There’s never been so many tempting rushers in a free-agency class. Aldon Smith could have multiple double-digit-sack seasons left after rising in Dallas last year; Bud Dupree was on his way to a career year last year in Pittsburgh before getting hurt; Carl Lawson is terminally underrated; Melvin Ingram should be due for a rebound; and Haason Reddick, Matthew Judon and Trey Hendrickson all are intriguing. A month from now, two or three of those players will be unsigned and have massive chips on their shoulder, almost certain to be smart one-year buys while they re-establish a market for 2022.

One veteran agent told me he thought the secondary pass-rush market (Carlos Dunlap, Reddick, Olivier Vernon, Ryan Kerrigan) could produce quality rushers on one-year deal for around $4 million to $5 million a year, depending on desperation.

I think the free-agent market at cornerback just got its best player late Saturday, with the Chargers whacking Casey Hayward. Now, Heyward will be 32 opening day, entering his 10th year, but he’s still lithe and quick and very good in coverage. In the last four seasons, among corners who had at least 400 defensive snaps in coverage, Hayward ranked third, third, third and 16th in pass-coverage by Pro Football Focus. Along with Richard Sherman (33 this season), these are two best wise owls in the secondary who will be available.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/15/drew-brees-retires-nfl-free-agency-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

• Like 1