2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Below is a list of teams in "salary cap hell."  There are some FAs I believe we should really go after.  I also listed some potential cut/trade candidates we should go after as well.

Philadelphia Eagles

Expected salary cap:  -$47.2 million

Cut/Trade candidates:  Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham and Javon Hargrave.

Los Angeles Rams

Expected salary cap:  -$22.4 million

FAs:  S John Johnson III

Cut/Trade candidate: DT A'Shawn Robinson

Atlanta Falcons

Expected salary cap:  -$35.7 million

FAs:  S Keanu Neal

New Orleans Saints

Expected salary cap:  -$63.6 million

FAs:  DE Trey HendricksonDT Sheldon Rankins

Cut/Trade candidates: LB Kwon AlexanderCBs Janoris Jenkins, and Patrick Robinson

Kansas City Chiefs

Expected salary cap:  -$19 million

FAs: CB Bashaud Breeland and WR Demarcus Robinson

Cut/Trade candidate:  OT Mitchell Schwartz

Pittsburgh Steelers

Expected salary cap:  -$19.5 million

FAs:  OLB Bud Dupree

Cut/Trade candidates:  CB Joe Haden and G David DeCastro

I posted this list purely for conversation.  I just want to hear what everyone thinks and who other posters would like to go after.  There are many more teams that may cut some players and plenty of players that will test the market due to the salary cap adjustment.  I just saw these teams as being the most likely to struggle with resigning their talent and having to make some trades/cuts to manage their cap.  So these players IMO are more likely to hit the market during the upcoming FA period.

From this list, I'd target Hargrave, DeCastro, and Johnson III. In a potential 2nd wave, add Hendrickson and Rankins to the list.

The rest are either a bit closer to the end than I'd like (Cox, Graham), had past issues and move around (Jenkinks), or will likely want too much (Dupree). Or they just don't fill a need in a way that appeals to me.

If we could come away with DeCastro and Johnson III, I'd be pretty happy to sit pat barring some amazing potential grab. With FS and G off the list, targeting the DL and OT in the draft becomes a much easier decision while opening up the later rounds for some depth/BPA action. I still really want to go EDGE-DT-CB with picks 1-3 and our 4th on an OT. Not having to sweat a FS or G would make me a much happier fan on draft day. 

26 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

From this list, I'd target Hargrave, DeCastro, and Johnson III. In a potential 2nd wave, add Hendrickson and Rankins to the list.

The rest are either a bit closer to the end than I'd like (Cox, Graham), had past issues and move around (Jenkinks), or will likely want too much (Dupree). Or they just don't fill a need in a way that appeals to me.

If we could come away with DeCastro and Johnson III, I'd be pretty happy to sit pat barring some amazing potential grab. With FS and G off the list, targeting the DL and OT in the draft becomes a much easier decision while opening up the later rounds for some depth/BPA action. I still really want to go EDGE-DT-CB with picks 1-3 and our 4th on an OT. Not having to sweat a FS or G would make me a much happier fan on draft day. 

I kind of want Bud Dupree.  Maybe he could play the Sam position?  He's listed at 6'4" and 269 lbs as an OLB for the Steelers.  28 years old coming off an injury though.  I would be happy with getting even 2 of these guys (Hargrave, DeCastro, Johnson III, Dupree).  

49 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Expected. Depending on who they draft at #4, I also expect Ryan or Jones to be moved after June 1st--despite reports that say otherwise.

Yeah I could see it happening.  Their salary cap is a ish show and both Ryan and Jones are getting up there in years.  They need to start planning for the future whether they like it or not.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:19 AM, big_palooka said:

The guys who end up hitting FA are there for a reason. There isn't a lot of "impact" players in that group that the team needs to truly transform the defense.

I think this year is slightly different because of the uncertainty of the cap going forward as the NFL eases into letting fans come to games. So I think this off-season more than others we'll see a lot of unexpected cap causalities. Although I do agree that a lot of those guys, particularly the older ones, will pursue short term deals with contenders. But I could still see us landing a young difference maker at FS like Marcus Williams or John Johnson III if we're willing to give them long term security. 

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I kind of want Bud Dupree.  Maybe he could play the Sam position?  He's listed at 6'4" and 269 lbs as an OLB for the Steelers.  28 years old coming off an injury though.  I would be happy with getting even 2 of these guys (Hargrave, DeCastro, Johnson III, Dupree).  

I'd be open to Bud Dupree but there's definitely some risk involved with him coming off of an ACL tear. Shaq Barrett is also very intriguing but he's going to want to get paid and I'm not sure how well he fits our scheme. Matt Judon is likely going to leave Baltimore and is a guy I'd take a long look at. If Arizona lets Hasson Reddick walk he's another guy that I'd go after hard. 

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I'd be open to Bud Dupree but there's definitely some risk involved with him coming off of an ACL tear. Shaq Barrett is also very intriguing but he's going to want to get paid and I'm not sure how well he fits our scheme. Matt Judon is likely going to leave Baltimore and is a guy I'd take a long look at. If Arizona lets Hasson Reddick walk he's another guy that I'd go after hard. 

Give me Judon if he's available. I'd love Barrett, but not for the price he'll want. I wanted him a couple years ago lol.

I'd like Dupree, but I have a strong feeling he'll be back in Pittsburgh so I've mostly written him off. They don't tend to let go of good, non-problem players very often. 

• Like 1

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

Give me Judon if he's available. I'd love Barrett, but not for the price he'll want. I wanted him a couple years ago lol.

I'd like Dupree, but I have a strong feeling he'll be back in Pittsburgh so I've mostly written him off. They don't tend to let go of good, non-problem players very often. 

I've read that Judon will likely be gone because of all of the extensions they have coming up. He's only 28 and would fit Bradley's scheme. 

I've also read that Dupree is likely done in Pittsburgh due to cap reasons. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I've read that Judon will likely be gone because of all of the extensions they have coming up. He's only 28 and would fit Bradley's scheme. 

Fair enough. If both become available, it's still Judon then Dupree for me if it's to be our "splash" get. Dupree would have to be priced low enough to be able to get another guy. Judon, I'd push for as a big fish.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's why I listed him.  I think he could be a really good role player in our defense.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fair enough. If both become available, it's still Judon then Dupree for me if it's to be our "splash" get. Dupree would have to be priced low enough to be able to get another guy. Judon, I'd push for as a big fish.

I'd be happy with either guy. Honestly though I might even prefer Hasson Reddick on a much cheaper deal than either of those two guys. 

Totally forgot about Tak. Can’t imagine his price tag would be high and Key and Nassib should both be shown the door. Been preaching that for months. Both are a waist of a roster spot. 

Tak I would expect to be back. He looks like a solid fit in the defense and another buy low situation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm one who always looks for value with upside potential.  Possible diamonds in the rough. 

I would be looking at Rankins who is a former 1st round pick, only 26 and has an 8 sack season on his resume as a 3T.  He has had injury concerns but if we can sign him on a cheap 2 year deal and use him properly he could be a valuable asset in terms of creating pressure from the inside of our Dline.  

Here is an old article from 2019 but according to this he was a major pass rushing asset and was stout against the run as well.  

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/17/will-the-saints-run-defense-hold-up-without-dt-sheldon-rankins/

If I was Mayock I would give Rankins a hard look and could prove to be a steal if he can remain healthy.

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1