2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

The madness of FA starts in a month.. can’t wait 

I'm feeling luke warm currently. The big name guys always get tagged or resigned. The ones like Watt who will move teams will land with a competitor. 

The guys who end up hitting FA are there for a reason. There isn't a lot of "impact" players in that group that the team needs to truly transform the defense.

• Like 1

Think this year we will see a lot less franchise tags cause of teams salary cap situations and just a lot more better players available due to the cap. 

16 teams got 6 million or less in salary cap space. That’s a lot of players who we maybe wouldn’t see get cut get cut. 

I always enjoy FA especially that first day

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Think this year we will see a lot less franchise tags cause of teams salary cap situations and just a lot more better players available due to the cap. 

16 teams got 6 million or less in salary cap space. That’s a lot of players who we maybe wouldn’t see get cut get cut. 

I always enjoy FA especially that first day

Going to be more interesting this offseason for the reasons you stated.  Teams will be forced to make some tough decisions with the change in salary cap.  Might see a wave of really good/great talent hit the FA market because of it.  It's already happening with K. Short and JJ Watt.  Not the best guys, but guys that can have an impact in the right system and what not.  Tougher choices will be made on better players, that's what I'm looking forward to.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm feeling luke warm currently. The big name guys always get tagged or resigned. The ones like Watt who will move teams will land with a competitor. 

The guys who end up hitting FA are there for a reason. There isn't a lot of "impact" players in that group that the team needs to truly transform the defense.

I disagree. Because of teams cap trouble this year, a lot of intriguing names could hit the market. 

I do think there won't be many impact DL. You have to draft or trade for those guys. Someone online floated Johnathan Allen. I could get behind that.

Best part of the cap going down is that we have a lot of players with zero or close to zero dead cap.  We can remain very flexible when it gets crazy.  Also we might be able to steal away a player or 2 in a trade when a team is willing to except anything instead of cutting a player.  Might be wise to sit on our hands for the first week.  When 2nd and 3rd tier guys start to get desperate and we can sign guys to short contracts with small guarantees.

57 minutes ago, OnlyGlove said:

Looking at DTs.  I'd be looking to trade Mariota for one of Washingtons I'd imagine ot would be Tim Settle.

Also interested in Adam Butler from New England and Roy Robertson-Harris from the Bears. Think the is value  there 

crazy how much DTs they have, what about MM and a 4th for J Allen... 

Below is a list of teams in "salary cap hell."  There are some FAs I believe we should really go after.  I also listed some potential cut/trade candidates we should go after as well.

Philadelphia Eagles

Expected salary cap:  -$47.2 million

Cut/Trade candidates:  Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham and Javon Hargrave.

Los Angeles Rams

Expected salary cap:  -$22.4 million

FAs:  S John Johnson III

Cut/Trade candidate: DT A'Shawn Robinson

Atlanta Falcons

Expected salary cap:  -$35.7 million

FAs:  S Keanu Neal

New Orleans Saints

Expected salary cap:  -$63.6 million

FAs:  DE Trey HendricksonDT Sheldon Rankins

Cut/Trade candidates: LB Kwon AlexanderCBs Janoris Jenkins, and Patrick Robinson

Kansas City Chiefs

Expected salary cap:  -$19 million

FAs: CB Bashaud Breeland and WR Demarcus Robinson

Cut/Trade candidate:  OT Mitchell Schwartz

Pittsburgh Steelers

Expected salary cap:  -$19.5 million

FAs:  OLB Bud Dupree

Cut/Trade candidates:  CB Joe Haden and G David DeCastro

I posted this list purely for conversation.  I just want to hear what everyone thinks and who other posters would like to go after.  There are many more teams that may cut some players and plenty of players that will test the market due to the salary cap adjustment.  I just saw these teams as being the most likely to struggle with resigning their talent and having to make some trades/cuts to manage their cap.  So these players IMO are more likely to hit the market during the upcoming FA period.