GDT Week 6: Sunday Night Football - New York Giants @ Denver Broncos

iLikeDefense

Also good to see some people going into full fire everybody mode. Giants were never going to roll over and give us the game, 0-5 and the entire country talking about how awful you are is going to motivate you.

These kind of games happen where nothing goes right from the get go. Bad prep by the coaches, awful executions by the players and proof that if Trevor doesn't have a lead it's very easy to game plan for him. Bye week could not of happened at a worse time though. Now Sanders and DT and McKenzie(doubt he plays again this year) going to be limping around all season.

Most PATHETIC game I have seen out of the Broncos since the McDumbass days. Offense looks terrible, doing absolutely NOTHING in the redzone, Siemien throws his consistent untimely TO. The D was underwhelming to say the least, best run-D my butt.

1 minute ago, Cutler06 said:

Most PATHETIC game I have seen out of the Broncos since the McDumbass days. Offense looks terrible, doing absolutely NOTHING in the redzone, Siemien throws his consistent untimely TO. The D was underwhelming to say the least, best run-D my butt.

I agree with all of this, but the defense really only gave up 13 points. And while the run D was bad, it's impossible to agree with you...in 4 games they have performed unreal. This would seem to be the outlier, not the norm.

Lots of blame to go around but IMO this ones on VJ.

We just weren't prepared. Poor play in all 3 phases, missed tackles, dropped passes, poor throws, lousy play calling, muffed punts.....You name it

Cant win that way. Hopefully it's out of our system now.

49 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That's what I was trying to say. The guy never really earned this job. It just fell in his lap. 

The Giants came into the game a broken team, and left leaving Denver a broken team. Who ever this Siemain, is he sure stinks. To get beat by a bunch of guys that the Giants picked up off the street this week is embarrassing.

I'm going to do my best to maintain my composure here and not get banned but suffice to say, here we go. 

-This was a sickening display. 

-The team played totally and completely uninspired. This isn't college where Alabama can play Abilene Christian and have to do nothing more than show up to get a win. This is the NF-freaking-L. The Giants, wounded as they are, are a proud franchise with a HOF QB that are fighting for their lives. 

-Not showing up is on the players, the coaches, the Front Office. 

-Every unit, every player, every coach deserves blame. This reminds me of the blowout loss to the Raiders in 2010 that put the nail in Mac's coffin; everyone then (including Champ) and everyone now (including Von) didn't show up in those games. Only time I've ever said that about those two. 

-If Mr. Bowlen was still fully in charge of this team, he would have read everyone the riot act (as he did after the aforementioned Raiders game in 2010). I hope Elway or Joe Ellis did that tonight.

-This was the most ineptly played, game-planned, play-called, schemed and executed game I have seen since 2010. The playoff game against the Colts that was the end of Fox/Gase/JDR regime was light years better and those three coaches had one foot out the door. 

-If I'm an owner/GM of another team, I'm moving Woods, McCoy and Musgrave way down the list of guys I'm considering for a potential head coach. They really, really, really, dropped the ball tonight. 

-If this is the best that the great "leader of men" can get out of his team, in a home game, against a reeling opponent, in front of a national audience, in a game where we have every match-up advantage possible, then Elway is the one to blame. We saw Vance not be able to get his defense to show up in playoff game last year. Can we really be surprised? Kyle Shanahan's team, which has 1/10th the talent of ours, has fought their tails off every game. Yeah they're 0-5 but they've played as hard or harder than us in all of those 5. Maybe Elway should have checked his ego and hired THAT leader of men, rather than Matt Russel's frat brother. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I agree with all of this, but the defense really only gave up 13 points. And while the run D was bad, it's impossible to agree with you...in 4 games they have performed unreal. This would seem to be the outlier, not the norm.

This is a good point. The D might not have been as scintillating as they normally are in terms of the highlight reel, but they held a NFL offense - and even the decrepit Giants are still a NFL offense with a HOF QB - to 13 points. You should win the game. Especially at home, in good weather, coming off a bye and in front of a national audience. I really cannot wait to listen to the McCoy apologists on Denver radio tomorrow. That should be hysterical. 

I was heated last night, no less heated today but here are my thoughts on that atrocity:

- This team was not coached up or ready for this game. I genuinely think they looked at this matchup and thought the Giants would lay down. I would bet the farm they didn't have any belief Sullivan would take over playcalling duties and that clearly caused a bit of a wrinkle in their gameplanning. Absolutely not a good look. That falls squarely on Vance, McCoy and Joe Woods. Simply a pathetic display and one that needs to be corrected immediately. I understand Vance is a rookie HC, but I will say, considering he was painted as this brilliant leader he now needs to show that.

- Trevor Siemian is not the answer. We don't have a competent QB on the roster which is completely disheartening and a giant red X against Elway's tenure. We have 1st, 2nd, and 7th round QBs on this roster and not one of them is a long-term NFL starter. Elway invested significant draft capital with literally zero return. That said, Siemian did make some nice plays, but he looks shook and once his mental side evaporates, he has nothing to fall back on.

- The offensive line is an abject failure. Watson sucks, Turner sucks, Stephenson sucks. Maybe instead of trying to acquire players at bargains all the time it would have been wise to pay fair market value for a capable OT that doesn't get treated like an NYC subway turnstile. This falls squarely on Elway. On that note, Max Garcia and Allen Barbre are both awful. That's another position that needs to be addressed ASAP.

- McCoy deserves maybe the most criticism of anyone. The vanilla offense early and then abandoning the run game was a recipe for failure. Siemian should never be throwing 40+ passes. I'm genuinely baffled why we aren't using RBs in the passing game more. Booker is clearly the best RB on the team, IMO. I actually don't understand why we have Jamaal Charles playing so much at this point. I think it behooves us to start using Booker's skillset while we can, and hopefully McCoy realizes this too.

- The defense didn't play terrible, although it certainly wasn't great. I'm sick and tired of the zone defense though. I read an article where Joe Woods talked about having the CBs play more zone "to preserve them for the long run." Hopefully after this game that strategy gets reconsidered because frankly it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Woods is borderline taking this defense from elite to just good and it needs to change. I would argue part of the reason for Simmons struggling sometimes is because of this stupid zone coverage. Let the guys do what they do best. Period. End of story.

- Todd Davis sucks. He's absolutely terrible. I'm not sure Marshall is much better, frankly, but they both need to be looked at long-term after this year. We need some better options in the middle of the field because this isn't gonna cut it. Watching Davis get shredded repeatedly, but hearing about how great he is on run defense infuriates me.

- McManus better figure himself out quickly or he's not gonna have a job. He's clearly pressing and now it's hurting the team. Unacceptable.

- Finally, John Elway needs to shoulder a sizeable amount of blame for this team's performance at the current time. As good as he's been at free agent acquisitions, his draft prowess (or lack thereof) has left us in a completely barren position. Our offense is completely bereft of talent, IMO. We invested all these resources into QB with nothing to show for it. We have no dynamic RB threat, which, for a team who wanted to focus on the run is completely ridiculous to me. The inability to find OL talent is glaringly obvious, we might as well not even play a RT. There is no competent TE threat on this team. Our WR depth is a mess- I don't even want to hear about McKenzie and Henderson as options. McKenzie is awful, by the way. I know people love the guy, but until he can actually catch a pass, he's nothing more than a college speedster. Henderson is going to be a flameout. It's okay, we passed on Juju, Taywan Taylor, and Cooper Kupp for these guys though. And where is Demarcus Walker? Elway has a LOT to fix, and it's all his own doing. Until this team stops telegraphing positions and players to take, and focuses on accumulating talent, they are going to go nowhere and waste an elite defense in the process.

After last night it really hard to envision this team winning more than,7 games.

Forget the Giants offense I knew they'd have some success because their oline you knew would play better for pride. And Eli is a good qb I don't care what anyone says. Plus I don't think people realize how important is,was macadoo gave up play calling.

What grinds my gears is the offense it was beyond putrid. And the Giants were without a starting Nickle back and a valuable pass rush. And we couldn't exploit it. I think Trevor exploited it once down the field with success.  The first drive of the game told me everything. Two weeks to prepare and you come out and go 3 and out in a min?

Shanahan performance that one.

@broncos67 I agree with you for the most part, disagree about the zone on defense though. I think the preservation thing, both in game and for the long haul, makes some sense. The only guy that was beating us last night was Engram and this team had similar struggles with tight ends last year. Zone needs a better pass rush than what we have been doing though. This defense has been clearly better than last year's, IMO. 

@AnAngryAmerican and @broncos67 both summed up the issues of not only this game but practically every game so far.

Besides the inconsistent coaching of this team. My biggest qualm is the QB position. Teams know Siemian can't beat them so stack the box and stop the run. They don't respect his deep ball game and don't mind giving up the intermediate passes because they know at some point he's going to either: 1. hold on to the ball too long 2. he will start scrambling into pressure and 3. whoever is at RT will get beat and give up a sack. Siemian is what he is and that is a back up QB. He just doesn't have any above average traits aside from the mental aspect which is waning due to the hits he takes because of our horrendous LG and RT.

I have no confidence that he will ever be able to lead this team to a comeback win. He just doesn't have it in him.

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

@AnAngryAmerican and @broncos67 both summed up the issues of not only this game but practically every game so far.

Besides the inconsistent coaching of this team. My biggest qualm is the QB position. Teams know Siemian can't beat them so stack the box and stop the run. They don't respect his deep ball game and don't mind giving up the intermediate passes because they know at some point he's going to either: 1. hold on to the ball too long 2. he will start scrambling into pressure and 3. whoever is at RT will get beat and give up a sack. Siemian is what he is and that is a back up QB. He just doesn't have any above average traits aside from the mental aspect which is waning due to the hits he takes because of our horrendous LG and RT.

I have no confidence that he will ever be able to lead this team to a comeback win. He just doesn't have it in him.

He throws the 8 yard comeback route and that's it everything else is dependent on hitting that he like works off of that.

What I don't get is Paxton lynch why ir him? If he's healthy enough take the training wheels off and throw him into the fire. Like it's clear to me we are going no where with Siemian.  It has kinda always been. 

Me as a fan I'd rather see lynch get thrown into the fire and see if he improves or the light turns on in actual games. Than at best have a first round wild card exit.

Because Trevor is only good when he is supported by complimentary football he needs a dominant run game, and that comeback route to open up everything else.

As bad as lynch was in preseason he can create on his own with his legs. I just wanna see the first round investment play the rest of the way at this point because the 7th round investment isn't getting us anywhere. And I don't believe this offense was/ is bare of weapons I think Trevor makes it look that way.

Such a classic DT game. Probably our best player, while also killing us on two or three plays. Oh and a couple PI flops. When you're best plays on offense are PI calls (one of which was a trash call and the other one was lucky due to an underthrow), it's not gonna be a good night

Archived