Mac vs Trask

BP42

So with the current win streak and the probability of at least 1 more win it appears to me the Bears will be picking somewhere between 18-22 in the 1st round. With that being said I would like to see them draft the best available OT if the top 4 QB’s are off the board. My question is a 2 part, 1st is do you think Mac and Trask could get to the 2nd round and be available for the Bears to select and if so which would be better with the current regime? I say current regime because I think the Bears make the playoffs and saves both Paces and Nagy’s jobs. 

Edited by BP42
Misspelled word

I’m all for drafting a QB high in the draft this year regardless of how this season ends.  If Trask and Mac are the best QBs available then so be it, grab one of them.  I wouldn’t feel comfortable waiting until the late second round hoping that one of them falls.

If they go OT with their first pick then I’d like to see them trade back into the late first and take one of the remaining QBs to ensure they get one  and also get that fifth year option.

As for which one of the two i am definitely not the guy to ask.  But it’s still so early in the process.  Some of these fringe first round guys take such a steep fall during the combine, pro days, senior bowl, etc that they may be available in the fourth or fifth round.

IMO, we are going to have to make a trade for any QB other than Lance.

If want Wilson (or possibly Fields if Wilson goes #2) We need to trade up to the top5, likely top 3 (I don't see this as a realistic possibility anymore, despite really wanting Wilson)

Lance is currently projected about where we're at, but likely goes top 10. I wouldn't give up draft capital going for him, personally, and even if he fell to us, I'd be hesitant.

If Trask or Jones are the target, however, I think the appropriate move is either trading down with our first rounder, or trading back up from our second rounder. A 5th year option is critical for a position as expensive as QB, and I'd be looking to snag one of them somewhere in the pick 26-32 range.

Now the decision on what path to take to get to that 26-32 range depends on a bunch of factors....

-Is Arob gone? If so, I'd VERY STRONGLY consider Devonta Smith-WR (and maybe even if ARob stays). He's projected to possibly be there at our spot currently.

-Then there's a few LT prospects that could be there, and I'd like at least one OT in the first 2 rounds. Cosmi-LT is a guy that's projected in our range..... I'd consider the NW guy Slater, but I believe he's more of a RT prospect, if memory serves.

10 minutes ago, Epyon said:

IMO, we are going to have to make a trade for any QB other than Lance.

If want Wilson (or possibly Fields if Wilson goes #2) We need to trade up to the top5, likely top 3 (I don't see this as a realistic possibility anymore, despite really wanting Wilson)

Lance is currently projected about where we're at, but likely goes top 10. I wouldn't give up draft capital going for him, personally, and even if he fell to us, I'd be hesitant.

If Trask or Jones are the target, however, I think the appropriate move is either trading down with our first rounder, or trading back up from our second rounder. A 5th year option is critical for a position as expensive as QB, and I'd be looking to snag one of them somewhere in the pick 26-32 range.

Now the decision on what path to take to get to that 26-32 range depends on a bunch of factors....

-Is Arob gone? If so, I'd VERY STRONGLY consider Devonta Smith-WR (and maybe even if ARob stays). He's projected to possibly be there at our spot currently.

-Then there's a few LT prospects that could be there, and I'd like at least one OT in the first 2 rounds. Cosmi-LT is a guy that's projected in our range..... I'd consider the NW guy Slater, but I believe he's more of a RT prospect, if memory serves.

I like the r idea of taking a tackle in round 1 and then trading back up into the 1st to get a guy like Jones or Trask late.

However I'll say this...if Lance falls to us..and good chance he might since he played only 1 game this year and is coming with a lot of question marks being from div II and limited experience..then I might take a flier on him because of his dual threat ability and overall athleticism.

Though I have a feeling that the Vikings are going to draft him right before we ever get a chance.

I'm at the point of just picking the best QB available in the first at our pick. If we have a new GM/HC then fine, make a big trade to get your guy. But if not stay where you're at or trade back. 

(Ignoring Lawrence, Wilson and Fields since they're gone before our pick imo)

I think Lance has the highest upside but biggest bust factor 

Trask is the best QB of the three imo right now and has the best chance of being a good starter 

Jones has the lowest ceiling imo. I'm not really a big fan of him in the 1st but QBs get over drafted so someone may fall in love with him. I think he is a career back up that makes spot starts. 

7 hours ago, BP42 said:

My question is a 2 part, 1st is do you think Mac and Trask could get to the 2nd round and be available for the Bears to select and if so which would be better with the current regime? 

As I said in a different thread, there are a lot of variables, because we don't know what's going to happen to Wentz, Darnold, and Trubisky. But...even with those wild cards out there, we should still look at things in a level way, and that is that Trask is a first rounder and Jones is a second...or lower. 

Trask SHOULD be there for the Bears, but you never know, and they would be better off getting a higher rated option. But I'm not slitting my wrists if they go for Trask.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm at the point of just picking the best QB available in the first at our pick. If we have a new GM/HC then fine, make a big trade to get your guy. But if not stay where you're at or trade back. 

There is a lotta logic in that stance, but if Pace is still GM, we'll be lucky if he drafts a quarterback at all. Too many good corners out there, you know? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

As I said in a different thread, there are a lot of variables, because we don't know what's going to happen to Wentz, Darnold, and Trubisky. But...even with those wild cards out there, we should still look at things in a level way, and that is that Trask is a first rounder and Jones is a second...or lower. 

Trask SHOULD be there for the Bears, but you never know, and they would be better off getting a higher rated option. But I'm not slitting my wrists if they go for Trask.

There is a lotta logic in that stance, but if Pace is still GM, we'll be lucky if he drafts a quarterback at all. Too many good corners out there, you know? 

If Pace is back next year you have to assume it’s essentially under a SB or bust ultimatum.  Drafting a QB early signifies you realize you’re not expecting to win much that year, but are rather looking towards the future.

So yeah, if Pace is back I think it’s highly unlikely he drafts a QB early.  Maybe OL, pass rusher, or skill offensive player - something that should make more of an immediate impact.

14 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Welp here’s this:

Allbright is pretty plugged in, so take it for what it’s worth.

Trask putting up 46 points against Alabama and this guy is not sold?  Give me a break. Trask passes the eye test.

I am on the Kyle Trask train/bandwagon.  I would go Trask (1) Kadraius Toney (2) and than OL. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Trask putting up 46 points against Alabama and this guy is not sold?  Give me a break. Trask passes the eye test.

I am on the Kyle Trask train/bandwagon.  I would go Trask (1) Kadraius Toney (2) and than OL. 

Alabama's D in 2020 isn't the normal Alabama D from years past, but they were ascending as the year progressed. Also Albright isn't the one who isn't sold on Trask. The tweet reads that 3 FO people he spoke with aren't sold on him. 

Neither Trask or Jones strike me as good pros.

FWIW, I love the idea of Toney in round 2, especially if Robinson isn't going to be on the week 1 roster