Jets and Browns Week 16 GDT...

Bucketheadsdad

Time for a quick poll.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite Jet of all time?

• Joe Willie Namath
    • Emerson Boozer
    • The Governor of Revis Island, Darelle Revis
    • The diminutive Don Maynard
    • Weeb Ewbank
    • Bill Belichick (You know I had to list him here. He coached both teams playing this week. Sort of.)
    • Can't decide, so the entire "New York Sack Exchange"
    • Lou Benfatti
  2. 2. Who ya got winning this week?

• J E T S Jets, Jets, Jets (Because dammit, I'm a fan, and I want my team to win as often as possible.)
    • J E T S Jets, Jets, Jets (well, just because)
    • The Browns (Because dammit, I'm a fan, and the Jags are going to win out. Right? They're finishing with the Bears and Colts, and already beat Indy once.)
    • Hornby (because if you spend anytime in the Browns forum, we've got a couple of great Kiwi Browns fans, and one is from, and identifies himself as "Hornby.)

On 12/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, Bobby816 said:

Great thread.

Keyshawn Johnson is my fav all time Jet.

And you guys better beat us. And I hope somehow JAX can pull off a win against CHI. I just don’t see it happening.

Being you guys are in Cleveland.... care to share thoughts on Justin Fields for us at 2?

Fields has superstar potential, but he needs to get drafted into a team with good coaching. There are a few minor things he needs to get better at for the NFL level and that's where having a good QB coach will help him progress a ton.

He sometimes holds the ball too long and has a slow release. He's not a quick/snappy get the ball out quick type of QB. At the college level he shreds because OSU OL is elite and gives him all the time in the world. 

When he has a clean pocket, he's amazing. But needs to improve his mental processing speed. That's where a good QB coach could really unlock his superstar potential.

Outside of that, he has all of the makings of a great QB. He's a prototype, but needs molded on the mental side. I think his play style in the NFL will be similar to Josh Allen with better touch/accuracy as a young QB. Big, strong, fast, mobile, cannon arm and pushes the ball down field great and is a big time playmaker with his arm. I just think he will come in from day 1 with a higher floor than Allen.

Just needs the fine tuning with NFL concepts

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

Nice gameday thread. Of that list, it’s Revis for me. I loved knowing we had a guy that will shutdown the opponents best WR. It’s funny because a great Revis day was a day you didn’t hear his name called.

All time it’s probably Cotchery for me though.

I think this will be a tight game. Fun matchup actually. Becton vs Garrett. Browns Run Offense vs Jets Run Defense. We’re short Q so I give the edge to the Browns run offense.

I got the Browns 27-17.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Fields has superstar potential, but he needs to get drafted into a team with good coaching. There are a few minor things he needs to get better at for the NFL level and that's where having a good QB coach will help him progress a ton.

He sometimes holds the ball too long and has a slow release. He's not a quick/snappy get the ball out quick type of QB. At the college level he shreds because OSU OL is elite and gives him all the time in the world. 

When he has a clean pocket, he's amazing. But needs to improve his mental processing speed. That's where a good QB coach could really unlock his superstar potential.

Outside of that, he has all of the makings of a great QB. He's a prototype, but needs molded on the mental side. I think his play style in the NFL will be similar to Josh Allen with better touch/accuracy as a young QB. Big, strong, fast, mobile, cannon arm and pushes the ball down field great and is a big time playmaker with his arm. I just think he will come in from day 1 with a higher floor than Allen.

Just needs the fine tuning with NFL concepts

Pretty much what I think. For a team like us. We can’t draft him and say ok let’s win now. Fields will need the talent around him to succeed (something the Jets haven’t done with all these QBs we’ve drafted in forever). We are set up to do that with a lot of valuable picks and 90-100mill in cap space.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

When he has a clean pocket, he's amazing. But needs to improve his mental processing speed

If these points are true and I am not arguing whether they are or not, we should not draft Fields at all. A quick release may be sped up some but it is more a physical attribute that may or may not improve.  Kind of like leg speed.  Pointers can improve a sprinters speed by a few tenths, but you are either fast or not.  

Most QB’s at the NFL are good with clean pockets. We all remember Geno’s game against Miami in the last game of the season. No pass rush from Miami resulted in Geno having the highest QB rating of any QB? that year. If that is what Fields needs, run away.

Isn’t mental processing speed one of Sam’s flaws?  Do we really want another QB that can’t read defenses in milliseconds? Pass. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Pretty much what I think. For a team like us. We can’t draft him and say ok let’s win now. Fields will need the talent around him to succeed (something the Jets haven’t done with all these QBs we’ve drafted in forever). We are set up to do that with a lot of valuable picks and 90-100mill in cap space.

It's not even about the surrounding talent as much as it is about the coaching you pair with him. Trust me after watching Bakers career I have became the world's biggest advocate of 'coaching matters' and is the #1 factor in a young QBs success.

Look at Darnold, the biggest flaw and his downfall is that Gase is a horrible coach with a horrible system. Gase isn't making it easy for Darnold to be comfortable, easy reads, ect to be successful.

If the Jets say go out and draft Fields and pair him with a guy like......Bienemy for example he could blossom into a killer QB. But if you draft him and pair him with a retread veteran offensesive coordinator or HC I wouldn't expect instant success. Jets fans should be looking at Cleveland and pounding the table just as much for a competent HC/OC pairing just as much as they are a new QB.

Fields is dripping with talent, it's up to the Jets to find the correct HC/OC fit to maximize his talents to help him be successful

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Nice gameday thread. Of that list, it’s Revis for me. I loved knowing we had a guy that will shutdown the opponents best WR. It’s funny because a great Revis day was a day you didn’t hear his name called.

All time it’s probably Cotchery for me though.

I think this will be a tight game. Fun matchup actually. Becton vs Garrett. Browns Run Offense vs Jets Run Defense. We’re short Q so I give the edge to the Browns run offense.

I got the Browns 27-17.

We strangely haven’t been running it as much as we did earlier in the year. Baker has been allowed to sling it more.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We strangely haven’t been running it as much as we did earlier in the year. Baker has been allowed to sling it more.

In that case, 40-17. 😂. We cannot stop the pass. So if y’all let Baker sling the ball around the field,  he should have a big day.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

Favorite Jets:

defense: Joe Klecko
offense: Al Toon

childhood hero: Joe Namath

It will be slaughterhouse on Sunday.  Chubb, Hunt and Mayfield will have their way, especially without Q on the line. Either Landry or Higgins has a big day.

7 hours ago, dcat said:

we all do.  The new ones are atrocious. Some Jets fans have conned themselves into liking them.  

Look how clean this is

9031847-large.jpg

Cleveland eventually switched back to their better old school unis. I’m hoping the Jets do the same. I think your new helmets bother me the most. There would have been a riot if Cleveland changed their helmets. Your helmets were iconic.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2