2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

6 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mean its a results business. If we got 10-6 instead of 2-14 then no one has issue with his offseason and so on and so forth. I don't think there's a clear answer right now out there, its going to take a combination of things to turn this around. 

What we do know is he added an EDGE, WR and top Special Teams ace and a solid Linebacker and brought back two guys who we can use as depth pieces. 

When I look around the league there isn't a team that I think is currently blowing anyone out the water right now. The market is very stagnant, teams seems to be locked on offers and some players seem to want more than what's out there. 

Well NE is blowing everyone out of the water. So I disagree there. And they have less money than us.

Thats my issue. Is that we have money. Spend it. Not waste it handing out contracts to 30-40yr olds like he did last offseason. It’s wasting time and money that way.

I love the 3 signings so far. But a lot more needs to be done before the draft. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Well NE is blowing everyone out of the water. So I disagree there. And they have less money than us.

Thats my issue. Is that we have money. Spend it. Not waste it handing out contracts to 30-40yr olds like he did last offseason. It’s wasting time and money that way.

I love the 3 signings so far. But a lot more needs to be done before the draft. 

Are they really blowing everyone out of the water? Henry and Jonnu yes but after that ehh...

You're saying we have money, spend it. Like what if a player just wants to play somewhere else? You dont spend more on a lesser option just to say you got a guy. 

I will add that JD is doing what we all kind of expected him to do. Sign 1 or 2 marquee FA’s and then some others. If anyone thought he was going to do more than that, then they have not been paying attention.

I was really hoping for a top iOL. The reality is there were only 2. One going to KC is a no brainer. But the more I think about about the strength of that position group in the draft, the more I believe that is where we are getting our OL upgrade.

We got a top EDGE which happens to be a somewhat weak position group this year. We need a CB but there are still some out there although I am not the biggest fan of high priced FA CB’s for obvious reasons.  I am disappointed at TE. I was hoping Henry or Smith would be targeted. All in all, it is going as I thought it would.

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Are they really blowing everyone out of the water? Henry and Jonnu yes but after that ehh...

You're saying we have money, spend it. Like what if a player just wants to play somewhere else? You dont spend more on a lesser option just to say you got a guy. 

I'll hold off judgment until FA is further along.... but a lot of guys we should've been in on, there were no reports of us even in on. And that's alarming to me.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'll hold off judgment until FA is further along.... but a lot of guys we should've been in on, there were no reports of us even in on. And that's alarming to me.

There's no reports of anything really. We sign a guy and no one saw it coming. I dont think anyone in the organization will ever say "we were in but he opted to sign elsewhere" those are terrible optics, its better to let people speculate. 

But anyway, who are the guys you feel we should have been in on?

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There weren’t any reports of us in on the guys we signed tho. We heard Trey and got Carl, We heard JuJu, Samuel, and Fuller and we ended up with Davis. Didn’t hear anything about Jarrad or Hardee. This is the first FO that hasn’t really leaked anything to our beat guys

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mean its a results business. If we got 10-6 instead of 2-14 then no one has issue with his offseason and so on and so forth. I don't think there's a clear answer right now out there, its going to take a combination of things to turn this around. 

What we do know is he added an EDGE, WR and top Special Teams ace and a solid Linebacker and brought back two guys who we can use as depth pieces. 

When I look around the league there isn't a team that I think is currently blowing anyone out the water right now. The market is very stagnant, teams seems to be locked on offers and some players seem to want more than what's out there. 

Your right that’s exactly the way I look at it. It’s a results business. If you can’t find a way to win your usually not in a job for long.  I’m sceptical because we’ve been down this rabbit hole before and it’s led to where we are today.

I’m thinking with the direction this offseason is going (patient approach and building through the draft) we will have another poor year. That’s fine as this wasn’t a one year fix. But by next years completion JD will be a few months off 4yrs in charge. If we haven’t made drastic improvements by then there’s a good chance we are looking for a new GM again. 

10 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Your right that’s exactly the way I look at it. It’s a results business. If you can’t find a way to win your usually not in a job for long.  I’m sceptical because we’ve been down this rabbit hole before and it’s led to where we are today.

I’m thinking with the direction this offseason is going (patient approach and building through the draft) we will have another poor year. That’s fine as this wasn’t a one year fix. But by next years completion JD will be a few months off 4yrs in charge. If we haven’t made drastic improvements by then there’s a good chance we are looking for a new GM again. 

Yeah, I wanna see progress, the team played hard last year so I'm not worried about that but we have to also be competitive. I wont put a specific win total because Saleh has to find his groove as a HC, Lafleur has to find his way as an OC, etc...but overall I wanna compete. 

5 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I don’t recall the Jets ever taking this approach, well maybe Idzik, but he had no plan other than to save money. Tanny and Mac spent like drunken sailors. No offense to any Navy brethren. How did that approach work out? How did Bell, Mosley, Trumaine work out?  We are in this position because they went hog wild in FA and drafted poorly. So far, JD is doing the opposite even if his first draft class is too early to make a conclusion on.  Maybe, just maybe, we should give this new approach a chance?

As for a poor year, it depends upon your definition of poor year. If we go from 2 wins to 6 or 7 is that poor?  To me that is an all out improvement. I hold no delusions of approaching playoffs next year. Maybe 2022. Our last three coaching staffs started off well and declined to very year. Of course it is hard to decline after only 2 wins but we also never had a FO that recognized we need a full blown rebuild and not a “competitive” rebuild.

14 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah, I wanna see progress, the team played hard last year so I'm not worried about that but we have to also be competitive. I wont put a specific win total because Saleh has to find his groove as a HC, Lafleur has to find his way as an OC, etc...but overall I wanna compete. 

I want to see progress too. And I think we will. The coaches and system should help us improve but if we are 6/7 games in and maybe won 1 game it’s just another year of waiting for the season to end and hope we lose games to get a better draft pick. I’m sick of that mentality. Let’s just hope we get it done. 

• Like 1