2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

16 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Not surprised, if he can’t stay healthy that’ll be a solid pick up

He’s the best free agent receiver. Apparently the Bengals will have a visit too. Wouldn’t mind JD stealing in and not letting him out NY though. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Listened to Bart Scott this morning and he JWill and Zuniga all think the sheets should roll with Darnold.

Scott said it would be a very Newsome type move to keep him and see what happens. And that’s who JD learned from.

His reasoning was that it covers more bases that way. We can trade back and acquire an additional 1st next year. Giving us 3 1sts. Gives us the ammo to trade for darn near any QB we want then. Whether that’s up in the draft to get a guy. Trade for a proven guy like Watson. Etc. Also gives us a year to evaluate more with a better staff and surrounding players. Maybe he performs and now we have 3 1sts to help the team even more next year. He talked about how great GMs don’t quit on guys easily and know it’s a process.

So it will be interesting.

It’s a legit argument. If JD and the coaching staff still believe in Darnold and they’re not sure about Wilson, than it might be best to trade back.

We could really build a Colts like team. Best case, Darnold wows and we have 3 1st to truly become legit contenders. Worse case is we have a well built team and get a QB next year.

It all comes down to how much they still believe in Darnold and how much they like Wilson. 

Edited by SDotNova

6 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

It’s a legit argument. If JD and the coaching staff still believe in Darnold and they’re not sure about Wilson, than it might be best to trade back.

We could really build a Colts like team. Best case, Darnold wows and we have 3 1st to truly become legit contenders. Worse case is we have a well built team and get a QB next year.

It all comes down to how much they still believe in Darnold and how much they like Wilson. 

Sorry, but this is not a two-horse race. You can easily trade down and trade Darnold, which would give us more assets and more options.

For a team that needs everything, THAT is what a smart GM would do. Forget about Ozzie Newsome's philosophies. None of those had to deal with Sam Darnold and the New York market and the Jets curse.

4 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I just hope if we are keeping Sam then we must trade down and get a bounty of picks. 

#2- #8, #39 next years 1st from Carolina would be a decent trade. 

One of the top 3 receivers, Pitts and Slater would all be in the running. 

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

Sorry, but this is not a two-horse race. You can easily trade down and trade Darnold, which would give us more assets and more options.

For a team that needs everything, THAT is what a smart GM would do. Forget about Ozzie Newsome's philosophies. None of those had to deal with Sam Darnold and the New York market and the Jets curse.

Who plays qb though? I know you like Alex Smith he’d only make sense if we had a young qb to groom. Morgan isn’t the answer. 

I like Kellen Mond who would sit behind a vet like Smith but he’s stock is rising fast so you may have to use a 2nd in him now. May just be worth keeping Sam if that’s the case. 

We gave up #6 and three 2nds to move up to #3 to select Darnold (and the Colts have a future HOF guard because of it). So we better get a absolute haul for a team in the top 10 moving up to 2. Swapping 1s, 2nd and 3rd this year and next years 1 at minimum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ekill08x said:

We gave up #6 and three 2nds to move up to #3 to select Darnold (and the Colts have a future HOF guard because of it). So we better get a absolute haul for a team in the top 10 moving up to 2. Swapping 1s, 2nd and 3rd this year and next years 1 at minimum. 

Conceivably the Falcons (4) Eagles (6) Lions (7) Panthers (8) Broncos (9) 49ers (12) Patriots (15) Raiders (17) WFT (19) Bears (20) could all still be on the hunt for a new franchise qb. Could get a bag if we negotiate right. 

• Like 1

If we keep Sam and trade down ( not my first choice), it’s not total Armageddon. Either takes his last shot and he shows he can be the guy or we go into next year with 3 1sts. 

Right now the QB class next year is reportedly weak but who knows at this point. This time last year TLaw and Fields were the only slam dunk 1st rounders. Not many people were talking about or even knew who Zach Wilson was. Lance was a total unknown (and still is to a degree) and Mac Jones was seen as a nice college QB. 

Plus maybe Watson sits out or another franchise guy wants out next year, seems to be the trend. We would be right there with plenty of ammo to go get him. 

16 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

We could really build a Colts like team

I am not sure I want a Colts team. If memory serves, they got Luck then built the team sans OL. Since then they have searching for a QB. Rivers helped get them to 11 wins last year. They had 7 wins with Brisset in 2018. Now what do they do? Hope Wentz is the answer?  Like we hope Sam is the answer?

I will trust the process but I most certainly don’t want to follow the Colts. Just draft a QB at 2.  If we keep Sam, let him start and hopefully build up his resume. We could then trade him or if we lose him in the offseason, we may get a comp pick. I just do not want to bet on Sam without a good fallback option. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am not sure I want a Colts team. If memory serves, they got Luck then built the team sans OL. Since then they have searching for a QB. Rivers helped get them to 11 wins last year. They had 7 wins with Brisset in 2018. Now what do they do? Hope Wentz is the answer?  Like we hope Sam is the answer?

I will trust the process but I most certainly don’t want to follow the Colts. Just draft a QB at 2.  If we keep Sam, let him start and hopefully build up his resume. We could then trade him or if we lose him in the offseason, we may get a comp pick. I just do not want to bet on Sam without a good fallback option. 

That was under Grigson. Ballard has built a great team, if they had Luck they would be the best team in the AFC top to bottom. 

32 minutes ago, xrade said:

I’m referring to the Colts under Ballard. They have a team that is good regardless of the QB. They can properly evaluate a QB on their team as well. Now it’s about finding the QB. It wasn’t Brisset. It wasn’t Rivers. Now they’ll give Wentz a try.

These top QB prospects aren’t guaranteed. So they’re giving themselves many chances without emptying their ammo. If Wentz hits, they’re gold.

Im not sure what I’d do personally. I just see both sides and would support whichever route we take.