BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

6 hours ago, MD4L said:

Shout to PFF still trying to justify Devin White was a poor selection. 150+ tackles and 9 sacks this year.

lol, I thought he was a little overhyped but he's been awesome this year

6 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Cause he/his agent don't pay them enough.

Yeah this

• Like 1

I really like some of the advanced stats ESPN have been coming out with lately. Marquise Brown being in the bottom right quadrant confirms a lot of our thoughts based on the discussions we've had about him in this thread. He gets very good separation, but between Lamar's inaccuracy and drops, has largely produced underwhelming numbers. 

To break it down:

Top Middle/Top Right - Receivers have good hands and an accurate QB

Top Left/Far Left - Contested catch experts

Bottom Left - Receiver can't separate and QB isn't putting it in a good spot for them

Bottom Right - Receiver can separate, either QB is inaccurate or receiver can't catch

Far Right - Receiver can separate, could benefit from improved QB play or improved hands

Middle - Can probably define this receiver's ability by the routes they run - If you're in the middle running deeper routes/or as a no.1, pretty good. If you're a 2 or 3 and tend to work out of the slot or on shorter routes, probably not too great.

15 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I really like some of the advanced stats ESPN have been coming out with lately. Marquise Brown being in the bottom right quadrant confirms a lot of our thoughts based on the discussions we've had about him in this thread. He gets very good separation, but between Lamar's inaccuracy and drops, has largely produced underwhelming numbers. 

To break it down:

Bottom Left - Receiver can't separate and QB isn't putting it in a good spot for them

Bottom Right - Receiver can separate, either QB is inaccurate or receiver can't catch

Far Right - Receiver can separate, could benefit from improved QB play or improved hands

Middle - Can probably define this receiver's ability by the routes they run - If you're in the middle running deeper routes/or as a no.1, pretty good. If you're a 2 or 3 and tend to work out of the slot or on shorter routes, probably not too great.

Bolded can’t separate then right? Like Parker is about as far left as you can get. And does this look at depth of routes run?

21 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

To break it down:

So both Woods and Marquise got very good separation this year.  Good to know.  Pretty sure 3 of Brown's 6 drops this season came in that one game, but still a couple more than you'd like to see over a season.

I do wish they had done Aiyuk.  I would have been interested to see where he had landed considering his QB play this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Bolded can’t separate then right? Like Parker is about as far left as you can get. And does this look at depth of routes run?

Yeah basically. 

I think it does, or at least a mix of that and type of route run because some routes are obviously designed to get more separation than others. 

So with Parker for example, he tends to run a lot of deeper routes - namely deep outs, crossers and straight verticals. So there's probably a moderately high expectation for separation, yet since he struggles with getting jammed, he often won't get separation. Yet despite this lack of separation, he still performs better than expected on those routes because he either tends to win in jump ball/contested catch situations or the passes are pin-point accurate. It could go both ways with him for example, because Tua is very accurate whereas Fitz is a kind of sling it deep and let your guy make the play QB.

A Rob is more who I had in mind for that since he's pretty well known for being one of the best jump ball/contested catch guys, and had two pretty crap QBs throwing to him.

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 1

That actually made me curious as to WR drop rates.  Going off pro-football-reference drop rates, it seems like a lot of top WRs(Diggs, Tyreek, Evans, AJ Brown) have a drop rate of 3-5%.  Adams is only .7%, Hopkins 1.3%, and Jefferson 1.6%.  Marquise was 6%.  Thielen was a surprise at 6.5%.

I'd be curious as to how they determine a drop v a pass just off target enough to not count.

35 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

So both Woods and Marquise got very good separation this year.  Good to know.  Pretty sure 3 of Brown's 6 drops this season came in that one game, but still a couple more than you'd like to see over a season.

I do wish they had done Aiyuk.  I would have been interested to see where he had landed considering his QB play this season.

"Aiyuk’s average separation was 2.8 yards, which is higher than Julio Jones, Adam Thielen, Justin Jefferson, DK Metcalf, and A.J. Brown, to name a handful. Aiyuk was responsible for 24.98% of the 49ers' air yards this season. So he’s gaining separation and doing it while being targeted down the field."

There it is.  So he'd be on the right side of the graph...maybe near the middle?