BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

Lol PFF is especially terrible for OL and CBs. They have no idea what a guy's assignment is or what they're supposed to be doing on any given play. They make assumptions all the time.

I think the value for OL is in that you'll never really be able to watch other teams in such detail to judge their OL over the course of a season.

I mean on any given play it may be difficult to determine a particular player's assignment on the OL, but I think on at least 3/4 plays, it's pretty clear what the OL's assignment was and even then, as long as they're successfully winning that particular pass or run-block battle, they're doing well and should be scored accordingly.

Speaking of cap next year, I wanna make sure I'm doing this right.  Kolton Miller signed his extension this past offseason, but I had him under contract.  He has 4 years left on his deal after this season.

I'm going to use the actual cap hit number on spotrac for those 4 years correct?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think PFF is good for numbers like passes defended, sack allowed, hurries, things like that where you have a pretty cut-and-dry they did or they didn't do this thing.

I don't really give their grades a lot of weight.

Yup. I give more credit to a players strong area (i.e high grades in run support) then the players grade in entirety.

3 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

PFF is great for the offensive and defensive lines. Good if you have corners from a man heavy scheme. The rest is pretty hit or miss as there's a lot of scheme dependant things they don't take into account 

2 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Pretty much this. I don't think it's terrible as such for other positions since there would be a correlation of PFF and eye test for the most part, but DL largely fool proof given it's data supported (run stops, tfls, sacks, pressures) and OL is generally one on one and easy to tell as complex assignments aren't that common on a play by play basis.

PFF is terrible for OL. Let's say you have a tackle whose assignment is to double team the DT with the guard and the RB is assigned to pick up the end on a five step drop. Then the back never gets over because it's a blitz and the back has to take a linebacker up the middle. Meanwhile, the guard handles the tackle on his own, the tackle ends up looking stupid standing around blocking no one, and the end gets the sack because the QB isn't mobile.

Then you have another tackle who straight up whiffs on his block, but it's a shotgun snap and the ball is out in two seconds, so the end never gets close enough to count for a pressure. Which player do you think is getting a worse grade from PFF, which explicitly and notoriously grades players on the result of the play rather than their actual performance in terms of technique and scheme?

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

Lol PFF is especially terrible for OL and CBs. They have no idea what a guy's assignment is or what they're supposed to be doing on any given play. They make assumptions all the time.

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

hence why I say cb are really only good for man heavy defenses

These guys get it. Even then, in man coverage you have guys expecting help over the top and getting burned because the safety screwed up or the front doesn't get pressure on the QB.

48 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think PFF is good for numbers like passes defended, sack allowed, hurries, things like that where you have a pretty cut-and-dry they did or they didn't do this thing.

You say that, but the one year I paid for PFF, I made the decision not to renew when I saw a pass deflection that PFF never counted for the player in question. If they can't even get it right when the ball hits a DB in the hands, then what hope is there that they get anything else right?

• Like 1

I chose to pay for game pass this year rather than PFF. If there's a guy I want to check out I'd rather just watch him myself and see what I think. Even though the game pass all 22 is garbage and game pass as a whole is a very lackluster service.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Speaking of cap next year, I wanna make sure I'm doing this right.  Kolton Miller signed his extension this past offseason, but I had him under contract.  He has 4 years left on his deal after this season.

I'm going to use the actual cap hit number on spotrac for those 4 years correct?

Yes the average salary number

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

55 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Yes the average salary number

The average salary number for the 3 year extension is 18k per year.  But that extension was added on to his current deal which had 2 years left.  So the cap hit for the upcoming 4 years is 13,915.75(16825+14225+12306.5+12306.5=55663/4).  So I would be taking 75% of the 13,915.75 for 4 years as his 3Up number. 

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The average salary number for the 3 year extension is 18k per year.  But that extension was added on to his current deal which had 2 years left.  So the cap hit for the upcoming 4 years is 13,915.75(16825+14225+12306.5+12306.5=55663/4).  So I would be taking 75% of the 13,915.75 for 4 years as his 3Up number. 

looking at it , this seems correct

22 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yes since they didn’t update that first year on the average salary on there. 

55 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

You forgot his 5th year option.  He is currently signed through 2025 IRL as such:

2022 - 10.88mil - 5th year option

2023 - 25 - 3 yr/54mil

Soooooo....

IRL - 4/64.88mil = BDL 4/16.220

16.220 * .75 = 12.165

BDL 3 Up = 4/12.165

Dont listen to these other fools, they dont know.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

You forgot his 5th year option.  He is currently signed through 2025 IRL as such:

2022 - 10.88mil - 5th year option

2023 - 25 - 3 yr/54mil

Soooooo....

IRL - 4/64.88mil = BDL 4/16.220

16.220 * .75 = 12.165

BDL 3 Up = 4/12.165

Dont listen to these other fools, they dont know.

The new contract replaces the fifth year option you Tokyo