2021 Offseason Roster Moves

Pastor Dillon

57 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have like 8 million in space and can get another 8 by cutting Roby. I think we should look into the best remaining CB. That seems to be the spot we are still the weakest. 

If you cut Roby, you would need 2 boundary CBs.... at least trade him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have like 8 million in space and can get another 8 by cutting Roby. I think we should look into the best remaining CB. That seems to be the spot we are still the weakest. 

So your plan is to cut Roby, who played well when healthy and has a reasonable contract, and sign the best remaining CB available, even though the top ones have already signed and it'll likely net us zero savings on a 1 year deal. Roby's AAV is 14th in the NFL for CBs which is right in line with what we get from him, this would be a zero sum move with a ton of unnecessary risk. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

So your plan is to cut Roby, who played well when healthy and has a reasonable contract, and sign the best remaining CB available, even though the top ones have already signed and it'll likely net us zero savings on a 1 year deal. Roby's AAV is 14th in the NFL for CBs which is right in line with what we get from him, this would be a zero sum move with a ton of unnecessary risk. 

One could argue that Roby immediately becomes the best CB on the market as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Y’all overvalue Roby. He’s not that good and he’s suspended week 1 and who knows what is liable to happen next. 

Again, your argument is to cut Roby, who has 2 years left on his contract at a pretty fair value to sign a #1 CB to replace him with that $8 million in savings. The only two viable starters at CB in free agency (Jackson, Griffin) signed for 3 years, $40 million each (AAV of $13.33 million). Even Kyle Fuller took a 1 year deal at $9.5 million after being cut. Look at the year before too, the going rate for #1 CBs is not cheap. We're not arguing that Roby is the best CB ever and we're so lucky to have him, we're saying that you're not finding a better option at $8 million/year at this point in free agency so why get cut him when he's got a reasonable contract and is good when healthy. Saying "he's not that good" and "he's suspended for 1 game" is an incredibly weak argument, especially when you haven't named a CB on the market that would replace him and be a viable option. 

• Like 2

I like Caserio so far. Making the smart moves we've been asking for since Rick Smith.

I like that he's building depth too. The last time we had a legitimate GM (I'm not gonna talk about Gaine, he wasn't here long enough) it was Rick Smith and he built the squad like a Madden Franchise mode fantasy draft, you pick up all the best players and then don't really bother with the depth because you think all your star players will carry the squad, then we face one season ladden with injuries and we crash and burn.

I am confident we'll hit on a QB too, I don't think Deshaun will be here in 2022.

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

Why we talking about cutting Roby? He's a good value #1 CB who delivers every year, the only issue was the suspension. 

We don't need to save against the salary cap that much more, obviously some moves like trading Merc would be smart, but Caserio has proven he can navigate the cap well and like a real GM. Right now it's all about addressing the issues and Roby isn't one of them.

Caserio has probably given us the first real defense we've had in a while. The LB's and backfield look good finally, we just need a good safety. I can't have one more season with Eric Murray.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drained said:

Why we talking about cutting Roby? He's a good value #1 CB who delivers every year, the only issue was the suspension. 

We don't need to save against the salary cap that much more, obviously some moves like trading Merc would be smart, but Caserio has proven he can navigate the cap well and like a real GM. Right now it's all about addressing the issues and Roby isn't one of them.

Caserio has probably given us the first real defense we've had in a while. The LB's and backfield look good finally, we just need a good safety. I can't have one more season with Eric Murray.

I wasn’t aware that Roby wasn’t trash 

Adoree Jackson, formerly of the Titans received a 3 year, $39 million contract with the Giants (AAV of $13 million). Still waiting to hear who the Texans could've signed to be their #1 CB for the $8 million in savings for cutting him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Adoree Jackson, formerly of the Titans received a 3 year, $39 million contract with the Giants (AAV of $13 million). Still waiting to hear who the Texans could've signed to be their #1 CB for the $8 million in savings for cutting him. 

And - if you subscribe to PFF CB metrics - Roby was CONSIDERABLY better last season.

• Like 1

So this is what having a real GM is like again! Awesome job by Caserio to get Mercilus' cap hit down and get the contract off the books by next offseason. Between the cap being down and bad contracts given by BOB, it seems like Caserio's trying to clear the decks by getting rid of bad contracts and not signing anyone really beyond a 1-2 year deal. 

Edited by LORK88
  • Like 2