Deshaun Watson requests trade

49ersfan

10 hours ago, Turnobili said:

1) your point that "he's only been good in 2 of his 5 years" was somewhat meaningless

I'll concede, sure.

10 hours ago, Turnobili said:

2) his age is to an extent offset by the lack of mileage

Theoretically, this is true - but we don't see too many guys with a late start play into their late 30s because it's not about wear and tear, it's about overall recovery slowing down as you age. I mean, do you really see him playing until he's 37-38?

It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

On 2/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, iknowcool said:

I'm 98% positive he will be traded.  At first I thought maybe it was just in the Texans best interests to keep him, but I don't think so anymore.

1. You will get a LOT of compensation in return, unless they drag this out until Week 1.  And even then, they will still get a great return

2. What's the Texans upside this season?  According to Spotrac, they are -6m in cap space.  They don't have a pick until the 3rd round.  They don't have the capital, whether you are talking about $$, players, or picks to get better unless they trade Watson.  They could move on from Watt or Cooks, but that's still removing 2 effective players on a team that earned the #3 overall pick

3. LIS on the earlier pages... why even subject a first-year, first-time head coach to this kind of drama?  Unless Watson flips the script completely on how he feels, Culley's gotta try and coach up a team who knows their QB doesn't want to play for them.  Even with a fully bought in Watson, I'm not sure how good they will be this year.  I'm not suggesting Watson would purposely underperform (he definitely wouldn't), but it won't help to have a QB who will probably be apathetic towards the teams success at that point.

Texans are in the same position as the Rockets were.  Sure, they could have held onto Harden, but they weren't a good team and all keeping him did was alienate everyone else around him.  Watson won't go to the lengths that Harden did, but it's still a bad/average Texans team with a very disgruntled player who happens to be their QB and best player.  It'll really hurt the locker-room even if Watson is well-liked.

Yep.. even with a happy DeShaun they have a pretty tough road back to being a real contender in the AFC. With an upset/holding out DeShaun - forgret it

Assuming you can get a good return, you gotta trade him

On 2/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, iknowcool said:

I'm 98% positive he will be traded.  At first I thought maybe it was just in the Texans best interests to keep him, but I don't think so anymore.

1. You will get a LOT of compensation in return, unless they drag this out until Week 1.  And even then, they will still get a great return

2. What's the Texans upside this season?  According to Spotrac, they are -6m in cap space.  They don't have a pick until the 3rd round.  They don't have the capital, whether you are talking about $$, players, or picks to get better unless they trade Watson.  They could move on from Watt or Cooks, but that's still removing 2 effective players on a team that earned the #3 overall pick

3. LIS on the earlier pages... why even subject a first-year, first-time head coach to this kind of drama?  Unless Watson flips the script completely on how he feels, Culley's gotta try and coach up a team who knows their QB doesn't want to play for them.  Even with a fully bought in Watson, I'm not sure how good they will be this year.  I'm not suggesting Watson would purposely underperform (he definitely wouldn't), but it won't help to have a QB who will probably be apathetic towards the teams success at that point.

Texans are in the same position as the Rockets were.  Sure, they could have held onto Harden, but they weren't a good team and all keeping him did was alienate everyone else around him.  Watson won't go to the lengths that Harden did, but it's still a bad/average Texans team with a very disgruntled player who happens to be their QB and best player.  It'll really hurt the locker-room even if Watson is well-liked.

The upside is essentially you have the guy locked in for 6 years and it's going to be incredibly painful for him to rock the boat and sit out that entire time so you can get your **** together and change his mind potentially and if you don't you got a few good years of QB play before something forced happens. You also have the part where a downside to a trade in either of the next two years leaves a significant cap hit on the Texans for Watson so it really doesn't benefit them much to trade them and get saddled with cap. 

The otherside is the compensation won't change much now or two years from now. 

On 03/02/2021 at 11:07 AM, Nightmare said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

I wouldn't necessarily call it trolling. We really don't have anyone THAT valuable. 

Waller is probably our best player, and he's an almost 30 year old TE with 2 good seasons and prior off-field baggage. I love the guy, but he's not netting a 1st on his own. Maybe a 3rd at best. 

Carr? Jacobs? Love them both too, but Carr isn't likely to fetch a 1st alone. Jacobs is coming off a 3.9 ypc season and didn't look the same at all in 2020. He's good, but he's not Derrick Henry/Dalvin Cook good (yet). Both might be worth a 2nd at best. 

None of our O-line guys are that valuable. Brown had potential to be, but he's out of shape, lazy, injured, or a mix of those 3 every dang week. 

None of our receivers are particularly valuable.

Nobody on D would net better than a 3rd, and that would be a stretch. 

To get a first round pick via trade by using players only, we would have to give up 2 cornerstone pieces and even then we'd need the right trade partner. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1