2021 Free Agent Thread

MikeT14

On 5/7/2021 at 11:09 PM, lavar703 said:

Fans arguing against this are just dumb to me. You will never fall into another opportunity like this again. The leagues best QB potentially up for trade and Redskins fans on Twitter “no, we need to keep building this the right way and we’ll eventually get our QB” lmao. Aaron Rodgers makes this team a super bowl contender right now and for the next three years most likely. If the Bill Barnwell trade is what it took, I’d drive Fitz and Ioannidis to Wisconsin myself. 

Agree 100% Lavar

Rodgers would not only make us SB contenders for the few years he is here, but would have a top 5/10 Defense to help him get there.

Not to mention the addition of pieces we keep adding to the Offense.

I also think our O-line is good enough to keep him upright for the most part. It's not great, but it's not shabby either.

We would be capable of winning any game on our Schedule, with Rodgers at QB & this Defense.

With Fitz...we can't honestly say that & mean it. Although I like Fitz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I just think he costs too much for a 37 year old who has gotten pretty banged up as of late. He doesn’t take a ton of hits but your going to give a super haul and crazy money for a guy who in two years is gonna want more money, the team to draft his guys and a different coach. Rogers has carried teams his talent is second to 1. But again. One player doesn’t win a title. So yes he opens a small window. If we continue to make the right decisions year in and year out we can be a winner much longer. I don’t think there’s ever been a team that’s won a SB trading multiple high round draft picks for a Vet.

You can say Philly did on a rookie but even that player didn’t take them all the way. KC didn’t give a kings randsom for Mahomes. Trading all these picks and players for one guy is nuts. It’s never worked and IMO it never will. Football is literally the most critical game when it comes to roster talent top too bottom. Yes having a elite QB matters. But if it really mattered why does Eli have more then ARod? why does ARod have as many as Foles, Dilfer and Brad Johnson? Is That fair? No. Rogers is a much superior individual talent. But these Vets that are leaving their teams and having success are hand picking the team. They are all on young teams built through the draft. And none of the teams they won with traded one asset. 

TB doesn’t get the SB if they trade Mike Evans and 2 1’s and two 2’s for Brady. Denver doesn’t get too two SB’s trading Chris Harris and Malik Jackson a 1st and 2nd for Peyton. I get the counter we can’t win without a quality QB. But I see year in year out what depleted unfinished rosters do with elite QB’s against complete teams with slightly lesser QB’s.

Giving up a few draft picks & a great player we have would not hurt our chances of winning the Super Bowl if we added Rodgers, Watson or Wilson.

We’ve talked about this all offseason. Washington isn’t winning the Super Bowl as currently constructed either. Our QB won’t be good enough to compete w/ the good to great ones.

Also, we won’t be able to pay our starting DL to keep it in tact bc they’re all going to cost over $10 mil per year to retain on their next contract. 

If you can package any of them & some picks at a chance to be the running for multiple Super Bowls, you do it. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Giving up a few draft picks & a great player we have would not hurt our chances of winning the Super Bowl if we added Rodgers, Watson or Wilson.

We’ve talked about this all offseason. Washington isn’t winning the Super Bowl as currently constructed either. Our QB won’t be good enough to compete w/ the good to great ones.

Also, we won’t be able to pay our starting DL to keep it in tact bc they’re all going to cost over $10 mil per year to retain on their next contract. 

If you can package any of them & some picks at a chance to be the running for multiple Super Bowls, you do it. 

Remember when Trent Dilfer won the SB with that Baltimore Ravens defense... yeah, Trent Freaking Dilfer.

So tired of hearing that you need a superstar QB to win a SB. 

24 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Remember when Trent Dilfer won the SB with that Baltimore Ravens defense... yeah, Trent Freaking Dilfer.

I used to say that as well not needing a superstar QB. Offenses today are more dynamic than when Dilfer played. The RB meant more years ago when offenses were built pretty much off the running game. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Yeah, arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen. Their offense didn’t score a TD for like 5 games and they won all of them. So all we have to do is build one of the greatest defenses the league has ever seen and we should be fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Yeah, arguably the greatest defense the NFL has ever seen. Their offense didn’t score a TD for like 5 games and they won all of them. So all we have to do is build one of the greatest defenses the league has ever seen and we should be fine. 

Well on our way my friend. The point is our defense alone has proven it can win us games. All our offense has to do is put some points on the board and not lose us the game and we should go deep into the post season.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Dude they had the best running game in the NFL. They had a historically good defense that scored a lot of points & that was one time in the 55 years.

They also didn’t turn the ball over and had a great turnover margin.

15 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Well on our way my friend. The point is our defense alone has proven it can win us games. All our offense has to do is put some points on the board and not lose us the game and we should go deep into the post season.

You’re moving the goal post already. 😂 

First you said Super Bowl, now you’re just talking about a deep playoff run. Yeah, sure if our D is awesome, we have a great running game & Fitz for once in his life isn’t a turnover machine we may win a playoff game or two but I doubt we’re beating Tom Brady & the Bucs in the playoffs bc he will make the right plays to win the game where I don’t trust Fitz to.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You’re moving the goal post already. 😂 

First you said Super Bowl, now you’re just talking about a deep playoff run. Yeah, sure if our D is awesome, we have a great running game & Fitz for once in his life isn’t a turnover machine we may win a playoff game or two but I doubt we’re beating Tom Brady & the Bucs in the playoffs bc he will make the right plays to win the game where I don’t trust Fitz to.

First no one moved goal posts. herm GIF

SB is the ultimate goal for all 32 teams. 

We almost beat Tom Brady and the Bucs with Taylor Heinicke at QB and Jon Bostic manning our MLB position. 

It's a darn good thing your opinion only matters to yourself and your mom. This staff trusts Fitz. That's good enough for me. (This year)

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

First no one moved goal posts. herm GIF

SB is the ultimate goal for all 32 teams. 

We almost beat Tom Brady and the Bucs with Taylor Heinicke at QB and Jon Bostic manning our MLB position. 

It's a darn good thing your opinion only matters to yourself and your mom. This staff trusts Fitz. That's good enough for me. (This year)

You’re real funny. 😂 Myself and my mom?

Last time I checked at least in this forum you’re in the minority thinking our team can replicate what the 2000 Ravens did. 

I don’t even think you’re mom agrees with you on that one! 😂 

Animated GIF

As for “almost beating Tampa.” Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and  corn hole.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re real funny. 😂 Myself and my mom?

Last time I checked at least in this forum you’re in the minority thinking our team can replicate what the 2000 Ravens did. 

I don’t even think you’re mom agrees with you on that one! 😂 

Animated GIF

As for “almost beating Tampa.” Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and  corn hole.

Was not meant as an insult, hopefully it wasn't received that way. Was speaking specifically in terms of our opinions in relation to how the team is run. After re-reading what I said, it kinda sounded like an a-hole thing to say.

I 100% am in the minority on most of the things I say. I have been right a few times and wrong a lot, but I see things differently than most here. I think people have so much QB envy here that they can't realize how solid of a QB Fitzpatrick is and that he instantly gives this offense a much higher ceiling than any QB we had on the roster last year. However I did not say that we would replicate the 2000 Ravens, was merely using them as an example of a less than elite QB winning a SB.

As for your TB comment, we shall see this upcoming season.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Was not meant as an insult, hopefully it wasn't received that way. Was speaking specifically in terms of our opinions in relation to how the team is run. After re-reading what I said, it kinda sounded like an a-hole thing to say.

I 100% am in the minority on most of the things I say. I have been right a few times and wrong a lot, but I see things differently than most here. I think people have so much QB envy here that they can't realize how solid of a QB Fitzpatrick is and that he instantly gives this offense a much higher ceiling than any QB we had on the roster last year. However I did not say that we would replicate the 2000 Ravens, was merely using them as an example of a less than elite QB winning a SB.

As for your TB comment, we shall see this upcoming season.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

So here’s my thing about Fitz. And this dates from prior to us signing him — I actually reached the conclusion after watching him lose to us a couple years ago with TB. 

I think he’s just a losing player. 

Obviously, we know about the career W/L record (historically bad). We know about the 16 seasons with zero playoff appearances (historically bad). Those are both pretty well-known and pretty widely acknowledged. But you could chalk that up to just sheer happenstance, in terms of him landing on bad teams with bad players around him that dragged him down. 

But within the last several years, there have been 3 times where Fitz and another QB have both started at least 5 games. And in each of those seasons, the other guy had a better W/L record than Fitz, with the same team:

2020: Tua Tagovailoa 6-3; Fitz 4-3

2018: Jameis Winston 3-6; Fitz 2-5

2013: Jake Locker 4-3; Fitz 3-6

The reason why that TB game really made the point for me with Fitz is because he was undeniably brilliant. Threw for 400+ yards. Almost 10 Y/A. Ran for 35. Was making plays all over the place.

But he also undeniably cost them the game. 

He’s the anti-Alex Smith. When Alex wasn’t sure what he was seeing or what the right play was, he would damn near always revert to the safe, conservative option. Made him really boring to watch at times. When Fitz isn’t sure, his nature is to try to make something happen. Something big. Sometimes it’s incredible. But too frequently, it backfires. He hurts his teams with his playing style, as fun as it is to watch. 

My hope for the coming season is that the team around him (offensively but especially defensively) is so strong that he doesn’t feel any need to force the issue. If he can find a way to strike a balance between his usual style and what we had with Alex, it could be the best of all worlds. But it’s awfully hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think he’s just a losing player. 

Obviously, we know about the career W/L record (historically bad). We know about the 16 seasons with zero playoff appearances (historically bad). Those are both pretty well-known and pretty widely acknowledged. But you could chalk that up to just sheer happenstance, in terms of him landing on bad teams with bad players around him that dragged him down. 

So here is my take on this specifically, because I can't disagree with your opinion as a whole because some of it mirrors my own. We have all been debating for a really long time about W/L as a QB. Whatever your stance on it is, we can acknowledge and agree that the QB has the highest impact of any player because they are guaranteed each offensive play to touch the ball. I think Ryan Fitzpatrick has been on some really bad teams. His defense will be gunning for the top 5 in the NFL again and the offense is stacking weapons around him (other than at TE...). Fitzpatrick should feast on defenses with this quick roster. I imagine lots of downfield passes (I know... scary thought) and crossing patterns. Mix in the jet sweeps, our run game should be better in year two and Logan Thomas will continue to make me a liar. I know people will knock that opinion, but I want someone to pick a single team he has been on where he is more set up to succeed?

On 5/9/2021 at 2:25 PM, Slappy Mc said:

You could also maybe throw flacco in that conversation, if we are talking baltimore anyways.