Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Layne is nothing more than a decent special teamer.  He has no future as a DB in this league outside of a deep depth option.   

Another Colbert hard whiff at CB.

Thats too bad.  He looked to be a good pick at the time.

• Like 1

So, not asking really, whether anyone would be happy/upset if this were to come to pass, but just want to really get a read on whether anyone thinks Tombert would 'give-up' the farm (most likely 2022 & 2023 1st Rder's, plus more) to trade up with 2 teams considering trading down, the Lions @ 7 or Panthers @ 8, to take one of Justin Fields/Trey Lance/Mac Jones?  Next year's QB draft class is not looking great (of course, that could change).

Or, does Tombert just take the BPA QB from rounds 2 - 7

I honestly think Tomlin and Colbert recognize how 'blessed' the Steelers have been to have a stable, HOF-quality QB at the helm, year-in and year-out. If you're Tomlin, do you 'chance' your legacy on some FA 'has-been', or 'hope' that a mid-to-late Rd QB will magically become the next Wilson/Brady?? For all Tomlin's 'bluster' about 'next-man-up', I think, deep down, he's thinking '...ah, heck no! I'm getting my next 15-year starter at QB!'

I'm just curious if anyone else thinks something like that, or even a trade up into the top 15, depending, to get their next franchise QB?  I think it's a genuine possibility, but I think it depends on how the board falls.

Anyway, I'm just curious if I'm the only one who thinks Tombert would forego building for this next season to potentially build for the next 15 years, instead.

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DR43 said:

Thats too bad.  He looked to be a good pick at the time.

i kinda had hopes for him, but he was a raw developmental CB, and we havent had much luck in that department.     Its crazy....several different DB coaches and a head coach that was once a DB coach, and we cant develop these guys into even decent depth players most of the time.    Part of it is on Colbert too IMO.    Not sure why they choose project CBs.   They have better luck with more proven college CBs, even if they dont have the top end upside.

• Like 1

@Ward4HOF there was a pretty good discussion on this topic a just a few pages back if you want to check it out. I’m in the boat that if Fields gets in our range we absolutely trade the farm to get him. He would be the #1 pick in the 2020 and 2022 draft in my opinion. With how low we regularly draft, if you have the opportunity to get a player of that caliber, you go get him regardless of the cost.

Lance I would be in favor of but not necessarily “giving up the farm”. Mac Jones no thank you. 

Do not think we will take a mid-round QB this year with Rudolph, Dobbs, Haskins already on the roster. 

Biggest obstacles are

a) Fields/ Lance dropping. I think the NFL is much higher on Fields specifically than we think

b) We would hypothetically be competing with Denver, New England, Oakland, and Chicago to move up who all have higher picks than us. 

As you said, it all depends on how the board falls. I think Tomlin is comfortable giving Mason a year to see what he can do but he did just guarantee he will be here post-Ben and I’m sure he’s salivating at the thought of having someone like Fields waiting in the wings.

We currently have the most cap space and open roster spots for the 2022 season. And some of the guys under contract are really easy to move off of. Even after Minkah/Watt contracts we will have tons of room and flexibility. So contrary to what many believe, we have actually set ourselves up to start a mini-rebuild after this season while also being competitive this year. That’s just a long winded way of saying they could draft for both the short (RB) and long term (QB) this year.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

So, not asking really, whether anyone would be happy/upset if this were to come to pass, but just want to really get a read on whether anyone thinks Tombert would 'give-up' the farm (most likely 2022 & 2023 1st Rder's, plus more) to trade up with 2 teams considering trading down, the Lions @ 7 or Panthers @ 8, to take one of Justin Fields/Trey Lance/Mac Jones?  Next year's QB draft class is not looking great (of course, that could change).

Or, does Tombert just take the BPA QB from rounds 2 - 7

I honestly think Tomlin and Colbert recognize how 'blessed' the Steelers have been to have a stable, HOF-quality QB at the helm, year-in and year-out. If you're Tomlin, do you 'chance' your legacy on some FA 'has-been', or 'hope' that a mid-to-late Rd QB will magically become the next Wilson/Brady?? For all Tomlin's 'bluster' about 'next-man-up', I think, deep down, he's thinking '...ah, heck no! I'm getting my next 15-year starter at QB!'

I'm just curious if anyone else thinks something like that, or even a trade up into the top 15, depending, to get their next franchise QB?  I think it's a genuine possibility, but I think it depends on how the board falls.

Anyway, I'm just curious if I'm the only one who thinks Tombert would forego building for this next season to potentially build for the next 15 years, instead.

No.

Of those 3, Fields is the only one Id trade up that high for, but I have a feeling it would cost 3 or 4 first round pick value to get him.   I think we would actually have to give WELL ABOVE the value for the 7th or 8th pick from our spot, if only because I think there will be other teams looking to trade up for him.   Pats, Bears, WFT and Saints are teams that could be looking hard to trade up, and bidding war like that will only drive up the price.

Trey Lance is alot riskier than people want to admit.    I might trade our 2nd to move up for him, but I wouldnt trade future firsts.

Wouldnt trade up for Mac Jones, but if we took him with our pick, I wouldnt hate it.   Doesnt matter because he will go top 5.

Bottom line...no.   If we were picking in the teens, it might be more realistic.     They should focus on plugging holes at RB, Oline and CB.

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiments. If Fields gets close-ish, do it. If not, probably not. I like Lance, but he's risky. I'm also interested in next year's class of QBs. I know almost nothing about them. I hate to bring Tomlin up, but I think he'll be really fun with a young team, led by a young, hot shot, QB. I'd love to see him with Fields, but that's really unlikely. I could honestly see Fields going #2. 

• Like 1

Cowboys Vs Steelers 2016 airing in NFL Network for those itching for football like me..

Man you forget how dangerous this offense was with Bell. AB was great of course but EVERYTHING ran through Bell. Such a matchup nightmare. Just confirming our desperate need for a RB like that. 

7 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I am so here for the entire draft to get flipped on its head when Fields goes 2 and Wilson goes 3. Draft Twitter/media would explode.

I mean, Fields is better than Wilson. It's not that far flung of an idea. Fields was the clear #2 all year, has 2 down games, then goes on to TORCH the best defenses in college football, have a ridiculous workout, and he somehow drops?!? All the while, Wilson is destroying terrible football teams week after week until he runs into another semi-decent team and loses. Seems like media spin to me. 

EDIT- I forgot Fields got trounced by Bama. Point is a bit weaker, oh well. I like Fields. 

34 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I do not think it makes sense.  Next draft's QB class will be quite good and they will  be out of salary cap hell.

Thanks. I had read from a couple different sources that next year's QB crop was not looking near as promising; I personally have no idea.  I definitely trust your opinion on the matter.