Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I do not think it makes sense.  Next draft's QB class will be quite good and they will  be out of salary cap hell.

I’m curious who you like in the class. I’m only impressed with Rattler and maybe Howell. Rattler will probably end up going #1 but he doesn’t touch Fields as a prospect IMO. Howell doesn’t strike me as an elite prospect but he will probably end up going top 10. 

Is there any 2022 QB prospect you would rank above Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance? Things could obviously change but as of now I wouldn’t. 

Sam Howell (UNC), Kedon Slovis( USC), Matt Corral (Ol Miss), Desmond Ridder (Cinn), Tyler Shough (Oregon)

I like Corral the best and he will drop do to his height (6'1).  There will also be someone totally unexpected (a'la Burrows) who has a great season.   Shough is the clear best in the group at the moment.

Keep and eye on Dustin Crum (Kent St.), Jacob Zeno (Baylor), Spencer Sanders, (Ok St.) and JT Daniels (Georgia).

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, August4th said:

this time last yr Mac Jones and Wilson were not looked at as 1st RD prospects. I think next yrs class will end up looking better due to a guy or two rising up the draft board.

Agreed. It doesn’t have a Lawrence which, really elevates the class, but I think looking one year out on a QB class isn’t a great science. Every year guys rise and fall. I’m happy letting them college season (a full one) play out and see where we are. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Agreed. It doesn’t have a Lawrence which, really elevates the class, but I think looking one year out on a QB class isn’t a great science. Every year guys rise and fall. I’m happy letting them college season (a full one) play out and see where we are. 

and one one upside of 5 QBs getting picked 1st this yr. that's 5 teams out of the QB market in the draft next yr. I hope guys like Hurts, tua, Darnold, Jones etc.. show enough so you can scratch those teams off the QB list too. Would be cool if guys like fitzpatrick and Dalton lead their teams to enough wins, that they end up picking in the late teens/twenties... Tanny/cousins/Ryan don't fall off for whatever reason..

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

Sam Howell (UNC), Kedon Slovis( USC), Matt Corral (Ol Miss), Desmond Ridder (Cinn), Tyler Shough (Oregon)

I like Corral the best and he will drop do to his height (6'1).  There will also be someone totally unexpected (a'la Burrows) who has a great season.   Shough is the clear best in the group at the moment.

Keep and eye on Dustin Crum (Kent St.), Jacob Zeno (Baylor), Spencer Sanders, (Ok St.) and JT Daniels (Georgia).

Brock Purdy of Iowa State is my guy.

New Mocks are UP!!!!

I am not a fan of Purdy at this point.  I look a 3 things for a QB to be a franchise.  Arm strength, Decision making and accuracy.  Great NFL QBs have all 3.  At this point, Purdy has the decision making.  He has an average arm and not NFL average.  His accuracy needs some work.

But he can be that player that makes great strides.  But being at Iowa St. might make him drop.

6 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Even Tyler Shough?

He's my average starter.  His floundering late in the season and transferring without even going through an actual battle really rubs me as wrong.  He's a bit of a statue, and while Oregon's line wasn't studly, he was toast back there; so what's going to happen when he doesn't have a perfectly clean pocket?  Quite a few Oregon bloggers said that the pressure of always having to complete got to him a touch, and he worried more about not making a mistake rather than making the right play.

Best case: Kirk Cousins

Worst case: Christian Hackenberg

Most likely case: Ryan Fitzpatrick

On 4/24/2021 at 11:37 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

I think they'll also give Rudolph a year to see what he's got. Someone mentioned that in here earlier, and I agree. So maybe they won't even start looking at QB until 2023? Not saying I agree, just saying it might happen.

If you mean they will give Rudolph a year after Ben leaves, I strongly disagree.

There is no way they feel comfortable with him ever being a starter.    Not...one...bit.    We have already seen what he doesnt have to offer.

Only way they would ever settle on him as starter is if, say.....the Steelers won the SB this season and Ben retired, and at 32 there is no QB worth the pick and we werent able to get a decent stop gap to at least challenge for the job.   Basically, if they had absolutely no other options.

But I have no doubt in my mind that they arent thinking "Well, after Ben leaves, we feel like Mason deserves a year to show what he has",    And in the off chance someone IS thinking that....they should be fired yesterday.

AND...this is Rudolph's last year under contract.    I honestly dont even believe he will be on the team next season.     IF Ben retires, I think they will keep Dobbs, sign a vet and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.     Again, only way I think Mason is in the mix next year is if we somehow cant find at least equal options....which shouldnt be hard.    Rudolph is an average QB3 in this league, at best.

5 hours ago, 43M said:

If you mean they will give Rudolph a year after Ben leaves, I strongly disagree.

There is no way they feel comfortable with him ever being a starter.    Not...one...bit.    We have already seen what he doesnt have to offer.

Only way they would ever settle on him as starter is if, say.....the Steelers won the SB this season and Ben retired, and at 32 there is no QB worth the pick and we werent able to get a decent stop gap to at least challenge for the job.   Basically, if they had absolutely no other options.

But I have no doubt in my mind that they arent thinking "Well, after Ben leaves, we feel like Mason deserves a year to show what he has",    And in the off chance someone IS thinking that....they should be fired yesterday.

AND...this is Rudolph's last year under contract.    I honestly dont even believe he will be on the team next season.     IF Ben retires, I think they will keep Dobbs, sign a vet and draft someone in the first 3 rounds.     Again, only way I think Mason is in the mix next year is if we somehow cant find at least equal options....which shouldnt be hard.    Rudolph is an average QB3 in this league, at best.

I truly believe the team is much higher on Mason than fans are, for better or worse. Do I think they pass on a great QB prospect because they have Mason? Hopefully not, but I could definitely see them giving him one year. If he shows something, great. If not, we will most likely have a top 10 pick in 2023 where there are some really good QB prospects.  

Edit: Don’t forget they had a 1st round grade on Mason.

Edited by bigben07MVP