Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

38 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Like I'd actually argue, now, Edmunds is a top 15 SS in the NFL.

I agree with the entire sentiment of your post. I just quoted this section because I wanted to discuss it. I agree with this take. He's improved every year he's been in the league and I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to think he'll be one of the better SS in the league when his rookie deal expires. 

I would agree normally about Browning being available with our second pick, but I think some team will fall in love with his measurables and take him long before 55. There might be some other ILBs that could push him down to us, but you never know. 

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Like I'd actually argue, now, Edmunds is a top 15 SS in the NFL.

Id have to really look at the list of players to consider this. Off the jump it feels a little rich for me, but being the 14th or 13th best SS also isn't exactly a glowing review of a fairly meh position group league wide....so that's probably an accurate statement. 

Overall I agree with what you are saying in general. I think Edmunds is overwhelmingly average in one of the best situations a box styled athletic S could ask for. The exercise was grading the last 5 first round draft picks and I agree with someone that he was a C/C+. For full context I agreed with the list of TJ being an A, Dupree being a B+, and Burns being a D. I would probably have said similar things about Dupree after year 3, so I am hoping Edmunds takes another jump in year 4. But being fairly average as a first rounder in a defense filled with good players doesn't allow me to increase that grade yet. There's way tpo many comparable players to him taken far later in the draft to justify a higher grade than mediocre. The best news is though, he is still one of the younger guys at the position - so theoretically, theres still plenty of room to grow, like last year showed. 

Edited by Dcash4

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree with the entire sentiment of your post. I just quoted this section because I wanted to discuss it. I agree with this take. He's improved every year he's been in the league and I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to think he'll be one of the better SS in the league when his rookie deal expires. 

I would also add, a big factor in the Edmunds hate is his complete absence of splash plays/turnovers, especially playing on a defense that has so many of them. It’s kind of crazy the guy still has not forced a fumble his entire career. If he starts getting 2-3+ INTs per year with some forced fumbles sprinkled in, the whole perception on him would change.

4 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

I would also add, a big factor in the Edmunds hate is his complete absence of splash plays/turnovers, especially playing on a defense that has so many of them. It’s kind of crazy the guy still has not forced a fumble his entire career. If he starts getting 2-3+ INTs per year with some forced fumbles sprinkled in, the whole perception on him would change.

For sure, which is what I think makes him such a hard player to really get a read on. I think he is good at what he does as a run stopper, but that's also the part of his game I think is most replaceable from player to player. 

War got me interested in where he might land in a top Strong Safety competition, but I am having a hard time coming up with an actual answer of if I believe he is better or not than players. Like just in our division, is he better than Chuck Clark, Vonn Bell, or Ronnie Harrison? I'm not sure I can answer that because the way I do comparisons is replacing the player in the same system. I don't know if we are discernably better or worse subbing those guys in for Edmunds. 

I actually think its kinda funny...Im not a PFF grading guy, but was just curious to see. Their grades are 70.9, 71.5, 68.8, 74.7. So yeah, that didn't help....they all feel like they would be the same to me. 

The most important factor to consider when evaluating Edmonds is how well does he compliment Minkah? It’s a similar situation to finding Ryan Clark who was a perfect fit next to Troy P and allowed Troy to freelance and be himself. Would we be better suited to find a 2nd safety who has more versatility to play deep safety as well as cover underneath/stop the run? In theory that may allow us to “unlock” Minkah and have him be less of a strict center-field type safety. 

Edited by bigben07MVP

50 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

The most important factor to consider when evaluating Edmonds is how well does he compliment Minkah? It’s a similar situation to finding Ryan Clark who was a perfect fit next to Troy P and allowed Troy to freelance and be himself. Would we be better suited to find a 2nd safety who has more versatility to play deep safety as well as cover underneath/stop the run? In theory that may allow us to “unlock” Minkah and have him be less of a strict center-field type safety. 

I believe we will see Edmunds step into this role next season. I don't see why he won't have another year of improvement. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DR43 said:

In the oft chance one of the top five QBs fall to us in the first round, would anyone be ok if it is Mac Jones or Trey Lance or is it Justin Fields or bust?  I obviously wont even include the top two.

Trade up = Fields

Stay Put and take if he falls = Lance

Pass = Jones

31 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The more the day passed the more I remember that random people like to pass themselves off as insiders of the off chance they are right they can pound their chest.

Daniel Jeremiah, Peter King, and Benjamin Albright are the only “insiders” who carry any weight with me personally. 

5 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Daniel Jeremiah, Peter King, and Benjamin Albright are the only “insiders” who carry any weight with me personally. 

Pass on Peter King.  Can't stand the guy with his random moral compass and also for the crap he pulled with Troy.