Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Duke Johnson is also interesting. I’d flip Jaylen Samuels for him on the roster right now at the bottom barrel price. He’s not your full time guy, but he could help a committee or be a pass catcher to a bell cow guy. 

Duke Johnson looked awful carrying the ball last year. Even in a committee I prefer a guy with at least some value as a runner. 

I want Travis Etienne at 24. He is a Dalvin Cook clone. I watched a ton of both in college and they are so similar it’s insane. Dalvin got knocked for fumbles and frame/injury concerns as well and look how that panned out. Etienne is about as close to perfect as a prospect as you can get. If it’s 2012 he’s going top 5 I guarantee it.

I pounded the table for Cam Akers last year and while I love Claypool, Akers would have been more valuable to us last season. My point remains the same from last off-season, we need a dynamic/game changing RB to pair with an old aging immobile QB.  Yes our receivers were great last year when they weren’t dropping balls but outside of Juju, Claypool, and DJ there are 0 playmakers at RB and TE. The running game needs an injection of life and OL is deep in this draft. We need a running game we can lean on to pair with our defense, just seems too obvious. Those quick passes Ben loves are so much are more effective with the threat of a running game, that’s why our offense actually looked good the first half of the season. Etienne in the 1st, Dickerson in the 2nd is my ideal scenario to fix the running game. Dickerson as a rookie will be an upgrade over the last 2-3 seasons of Pouncey.

I’ll be so pissed if they bring back Conner, unless it’s VERY cheap and we also draft a RB at 24. I’ve seen enough of Conner and Snell. I also do not want Jamaal Williams or any of the other mid/low tier free agent RBs who will more of the same. A trio of Etienne, McFarland, and Snell for short yardage is a nice looking group.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I will say after seeing some recent mock drafts. I'd rather have Mac Jones than Justin Fields.

Sorry but this is crazy talk. You’re going to pass on the guy who is twice as talented, with a better arm and mobility, and fits better in today’s NFL over the immobile late riser who had college footballs best WR group of all time to lean on? Mac Jones is a statue and redundant to Mason Rudolph. Fields is perfect for today’s NFL, gifted as a thrower and runner, and the only reason he isn’t going #2 right behind Lawrence is a small handful of bad/average games in college. If he drops to 10 even we should make a move Devin Bush style. 

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Sorry but this is crazy talk. You’re going to pass on the guy who is twice as talented, with a better arm and mobility, and fits better in today’s NFL over the immobile late riser who had college footballs best WR group of all time to lean on? Mac Jones is a statue and redundant to Mason Rudolph. Fields is perfect for today’s NFL, gifted as a thrower and runner, and the only reason he isn’t going #2 right behind Lawrence is a small handful of bad/average games in college. If he drops to 10 even we should make a move Devin Bush style. 

I unequivocally disagree with your entire assessment of Justin Fields. I'm not a big fan of Mac Jones. But I'm less so a fan of Justin Fields. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired. His ability to go through his progressions and read defenses, imo, is even worse. 

He is mobile, not as mobile as Zach Wilson or Trevor Lawrence but still so. He has good arm strength, I have my doubts on his accuracy but his overall football intelligence makes me very nervous. He screams Jameis Winston type to me. 

Also, imo, Fields is not the 2nd best QB in this class. I mean he is the 3rd, but there's a gap between 2 and 3. 

Edited by wwhickok

15 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I unequivocally disagree with your entire assessment of Justin Fields. I'm not a big fan of Mac Jones. But I'm less so a fan of Justin Fields. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired. His ability to go through his progressions and read defenses, imo, is even worse. 

He is mobile, not as mobile as Zach Wilson or Trevor Lawrence but still so. He has good arm strength, I have my doubts on his accuracy but his overall football intelligence makes me very nervous. He screams Jameis Winston type to me. 

Also, imo, Fields is not the 2nd best QB in this class. I mean he is the 3rd, but there's a gap between 2 and 3. 

Fields had 9 INTs in 3 seasons and Jameis had 28 INTs in 2 seasons at FSU. Without the turnovers, Jameis is a top 10 QB in the NFL so I’ll take it. He’s more athletic than Jameis as well. He’s more Deshaun Watson (ceiling) than Jameis. 

Decision making and reading defenses are things that can be corrected over time with good coaching, being immobile in the pocket and the inability to extend plays (which is necessary in today’s NFL) cannot. 

Even if you’re not a fan of Fields, you say you’re not a fan of Jones either. Why wouldn’t you take the player who fits the modern style of NFL, has a higher ceiling, and more correctable traits? You even say Fields is the clear #3 QB, but you would take Jones ahead of him?

Edited by bigben07MVP

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Fields had 9 INTs in 3 seasons and Jameis had 28 INTs in 2 seasons at FSU. Without the turnovers, Jameis is a top 10 QB in the NFL so I’ll take it. He’s more athletic than Jameis as well. He’s more Deshaun Watson (ceiling) than Jameis. 

Decision making and reading defenses are things that can be corrected over time with good coaching, being immobile in the pocket and the inability to extend plays (which is necessary in today’s NFL) cannot. 

Even if you’re not a fan of Fields, you say you’re not a fan of Jones either. Why wouldn’t you take the player who fits the modern style of NFL, has a higher ceiling, and more correctable traits? You even say Fields is the clear #3 QB, but you would take Jones ahead of him?

I didn't say Fields was the "clear" #3. But I will say he isn't the 2nd best QB in this class. Beyond the top 2, I'd rather not draft a QB in this class. Id rather get an OT and C in the first 2 rounds.

I’d be overjoyed for Fields to fall to us. He definitely needs some work in his progressions and reads but finding a QB with that much talent drafting in the mid 20s is pretty rare. He’s really only played less than 2 seasons due to games being canceled. The fact that Ben will be back will give him a year to sit and learn. His shortcomings were the same shortcomings said about Josh Allen and Justin Herbert, would you take either of those guys? Would I prefer Lawrence or Wilson, sure, but when are we ever drafting high enough to get a guy like that? Even losing the guys we’re going to lose I don’t see us drafting in the top 5-10 next year and the QB class is nowhere near as good next year. If Fields is there I grab him in a second and then hit OL in the 2nd and 3rd unless we get someone in FA. 

• Like 1

why even debate or argue about QB's if ben gets a new deal for 2 years? :/

I would expect the OL to get a few new pieces vis the draft, but maybe not. Maybe they do go for a QB. I would wait for the team to fail more and the higher draft pick nets a potentially better QB.  By then, maybe ben will play better and want a few more years, never know 👏

We do know that right now the OL needs help. Trade for Finney and draft a few players since no $ left for UFA.  If they don't get players and injuries happen, imagine the season  to be. Right now they are appearing to expect Banner to start and be good, but he did have an ACL tear so what if he isn't quite ready or has issues at LT?  

I'm not happy about ben returning and the OL is looking to be in state of change that might not yield an OL near as good as the last 10 years. 

Edited by 3rivers

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Etienne probably fits more of what Canada wants to do with the offense. This is a weird draft. It's so deep at the positions we need. 

so what positions are this and what position and players for RD1,2,3  are on your mocks?

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

ILB, OT, and Center are pretty deep. 

Just a quick 4 rounder off the top of my head would be:

Jaylen Mayfield OT
Baron Browning ILB
Michael Carter RB
Trey Hill Center 

I like Williams more than Carter ( for the UNC backs for the Steelers) but Carter does fit what Canada would do.

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like Williams more than Carter ( for the UNC backs for the Steelers) but Carter does fit what Canada would do.

I like Williams more too. I just switched it up because the last mock I posted on here had Williams in the 2nd. I am intrigued by Browning. He seems like he could be really good in a year or two.